Nexus IS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Nexus IS CEO Deron Pearson
Deron Pearson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I worked with a great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great tight knit team. My direct manager was amazing. The culture was good, the people were nice and welcoming in every office i visited. Upper management was very approachable

Cons

Unfortunately, Nexus was acquired by a larger company, and I left before what I felt were imminent changes and/or layoffs. I foresaw that the Nexus group would be pushed out eventually by the larger acquiring company, and I was correct.

"A few good people suffering through lots of horrible management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Capable provider with a few dedicated people.
    - Heavy focus on latest/greatest Cisco solutions
    - Potential to make money is there for reps willing to work 80 hours/week for first two years with little appreciation or direction.
    - Now merged with Dimension Data which is more highly rated and helps future outlook.

Cons

- Anemic engineering resources result in lots of unpaid time spent on deployment problems.
    - Commissions start at just 1.5% of GM and increase incrementally as you get closer to quota. This would be ok except support structure is minimal. 50% of quota is typical for first year AMs. It's a LOT of work without adequate pay for the effort and you're told to just "keep working for it".
    - Lots of talk about "team" but management repeatedly failed to show up when needed.

Advice to Management

Merging was a great way to get the leadership that was sorely needed. Wild company parties are fun but the sleeping around between managers and female reps --and the favoritism on account allocation that resulted-- made it clear it was time for a more mature management team to take over. Cisco is also a great partner but to much devotion there without enough payback. With other great partners in place, the company should hire additional engineering resources to support sales of those products.

3. "Account Manager review"

I worked at Nexus IS full-time

Pros

They have a great culture and the gov/ed team had great leadership. A lot of engineering talent that would help drive and close sales.

Cons

Pay needed to be more competitive. The comp plan was really punitive on new hires who were just starting out. If you didn't hit quota, they would make you pay money back. Once you hit quota, pay was just OK. The Cisco relationship would get annoying too.

Advice to Management

The pay scale needed to be increased. However, it was a great place to work in terms of culture and the people who I worked with.

"What a train wreck"

Former Employee - RESOURCE in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - RESOURCE in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were nice. Older employees duped into something called NFL (nexus for life).

Cons

No pay increases,bad benefits, 401K is one the worst in the industry.
    Lots of good old boy favoritism

Advice to Management

Retire

5. "Great Cisco Solution Provider"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Valencia, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture, Experience, Training. If your a Cisco engineer this is the company for you.

Cons

None. Left due to a better opportunity.

"Good Luck Dimension Data - your going to need it"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary package and benefits were consistent with peer organizations in the Tech industry. There are multiple locations throughout the southwest US.

Cons

Senior management attitudes and practices emphasize punishment and retribution for constructive criticism. Management business practices are not what I've come to expect of a respectable, honest and thriving environment.

Advice to Management

Review management business practices and internal operations focusing on delivering with the Client in mind, not your wallet. Treat your Employees with respect and follow through with commitments your organization makes.

"Strong Company to grow career -"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Nexus IS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nexus has a great company culture and prides itself in maintaining it. Lots of "off site" company events/gatherings. They promote internally, provide/promote training. Nexus adapts to industry trends with solution offerings and is a leader in several segments. Cisco - our primary manufacturer we represent - see's Nexus as they key/leading strategic partner.

Cons

Not sure if it's a Con - but something to be aware of - Nexus has been acquired by Dimension Data. The cultures are a great match - and there's not much overlap in customer base or territories (which is surprising) - but with any acquisition (friendly or not) nobody knows how things will end up until everything is settled.

"Not what I was hoping for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. We are not overloaded with rules and stuffiness. For the most part, the people are great and fun loving.

Cons

I am feeling like there will never be an opportunity for advancement. If you are not the "hit the bar after work with the boys" type you are looked over. Hoping that this and the lack of raises issue is fixed once we become Dimension Data.

Advice to Management

Before you hire people from the outside, make sure that you consider current employees.

"Confused direction"

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Great engineering support. Generally view themselves as an engineering company that also has a sales force.

Cons

Too much dependence on the Cisco business. Zero lead development support for sales people.

Advice to Management

Bring on lead development.

"Good engineers but poor management"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Nexus IS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineers, decent opportunities, healthy project pipeline, aggressive sales teams.

Cons

No annual raises, poor benefits, low 401k match, poor project management, sales department is too aggressive.

Advice to Management

Focus more on customer satisfaction, annual employee raises with a decent performance review, improve benefits and retirement packages.