Nexus IS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Nexus IS CEO Deron Pearson
Deron Pearson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cool place to work - great people"

I have been working at Nexus IS (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineering, operations and sales who work together

Cons

old school procedures in place

2. "good company"

Former Employee - Engineer in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Valencia, CA

I worked at Nexus IS (More than a year)

Pros

room for growth, good company

Cons

none that I can think of

3. "Regional Sales Director"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well positioned as primary west coast Cisco partner for voice integration projects.

Cons

Lots of mid-level management with differing political agendas.

Advice to Management

Be careful on the smoke and mirrors pitch to potential buyers, you probably won't gain the earn out bonuses as projected revenue figures are declining.

4. "I worked with a great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great tight knit team. My direct manager was amazing. The culture was good, the people were nice and welcoming in every office i visited. Upper management was very approachable

Cons

Unfortunately, Nexus was acquired by a larger company, and I left before what I felt were imminent changes and/or layoffs. I foresaw that the Nexus group would be pushed out eventually by the larger acquiring company, and I was correct.

5. "good company for some, bad for others"

I worked at Nexus IS full-time

Pros

friendly working environment & family oriented
    got to work on different technology domains;
    very flexible working schedule
    self-motivated which could be good for some, bad for others

Cons

Overall health etc. benefits is minimal
    it can be challenging to figure out where or how to get information needed for a project
    Promotion/advancement is totally up to you to initiate

Advice to Management

More coaching to employees so they have a better understanding of how to advance;

"Super Sad lack of post-cancer support!!!"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All "fun, booze, & sex" all the time! Annual debauchery trips in Sept. to Lone Pines, CA.

Cons

Got cancer, had in depth internal surgery, they were supportive to a point, but then pushed me to return sooner than I was ready, Sooner than meds were adjusted correctly, then I was "set up" & "positioned" for termination!! Yes, I'm Bitter!!

Advice to Management

You don't need my advice, you positioned yourselves perfectly for a great buy out from Dimension Data!!! Deron P. Should Probably get out of horse racing before he blows all that money!!

"A few good people suffering through lots of horrible management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Capable provider with a few dedicated people.
    - Heavy focus on latest/greatest Cisco solutions
    - Potential to make money is there for reps willing to work 80 hours/week for first two years with little appreciation or direction.
    - Now merged with Dimension Data which is more highly rated and helps future outlook.

Cons

- Anemic engineering resources result in lots of unpaid time spent on deployment problems.
    - Commissions start at just 1.5% of GM and increase incrementally as you get closer to quota. This would be ok except support structure is minimal. 50% of quota is typical for first year AMs. It's a LOT of work without adequate pay for the effort and you're told to just "keep working for it".
    - Lots of talk about "team" but management repeatedly failed to show up when needed.

Advice to Management

Merging was a great way to get the leadership that was sorely needed. Wild company parties are fun but the sleeping around between managers and female reps --and the favoritism on account allocation that resulted-- made it clear it was time for a more mature management team to take over. Cisco is also a great partner but to much devotion there without enough payback. With other great partners in place, the company should hire additional engineering resources to support sales of those products.

8. "Account Manager review"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nexus IS full-time

Pros

They have a great culture and the gov/ed team had great leadership. A lot of engineering talent that would help drive and close sales.

Cons

Pay needed to be more competitive. The comp plan was really punitive on new hires who were just starting out. If you didn't hit quota, they would make you pay money back. Once you hit quota, pay was just OK. The Cisco relationship would get annoying too.

Advice to Management

The pay scale needed to be increased. However, it was a great place to work in terms of culture and the people who I worked with.

9. "Quantity vs. Quality"

Pros

Nexus-Dimension Data recognized as one of the premier Cisco Global Partners, and looks good for your resume. Some people in the organization are really nice... Some...
    Decent Work life Balance.

Cons

There are a lot of different people you have to deal with to get things done. Middle Management is more focused on the bottom line, which makes them loose sight of the damage caused by pressuring people to sell more, sell harder, close the deal faster. Quanity vs. Quality is what it has come to.
    Management says they listen to employee input, but a lot of great ideas are disregarded, unless it has any immediate financial gain. Inconsistencies in Management, with some employees being treated better vs. others.. very clic mentality.

Advice to Management

None, because it will be disregarded.

10. "Client Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Nexus IS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid voice company with strong engineering focus. Good coworkers and work life balance. Dimension Data culture should bring less emphasis on partying. Some people work very hard to help the customer.

Cons

Top 5% of sales people are well compensated, but the rest make well below industry average. Some seasoned presales engineers can be unhelpful and lack sense of accountability. Top management are a bunch of drunks and encourage an 80's frat party culture. Top performers are given a free ticket to lie, cheat, and steal.

Advice to Management

Sober up and value your employees more.