Niagara Bottling Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Niagara Bottling President & CEO Andy Peykoff II
Andy Peykoff II

Pros
  • Fast-paced and competitive environment (in 20 reviews)

• Overall great place to work, friendly people and growing company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management basically runs things with out regarding what is truly best (in 9 reviews)

1. "Shift mechanic"

Current Employee - Shift Mechanic in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Mechanic in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Niagara Bottling (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the area.

Cons

Not an equal opportunity employer. It does not matter how long you have worked there or how much experience you have. What seems to mater is who you become buddy buddy and best friends with to work your way up and get the training needed to do your job. We do machine rebuilds yearly on the machines and that's how you learn how the components of the machine come apart and go back together. Some mechanism are involved in every rebuild and sent all over the country for training yet others as myself are not included in any of this.

It seem as though the senior Factory focus mechanic runs the maintenance crew. If your not in his click you get nothing. If your his buddy and do favors outside the work place you get what ever you want. I talked with my supervisor about this and was told as long as I get my paycheck that's all that matters. This is total bull crap we should all get the same training opportunity and then be judged on our performance after that. With over 30 years in blow molding with some management experience it is a shame to see this happening in such a big company.

Advice to Management

Give everyone the same treatment and training . It a shame that this behavior is overlooked by the top managers.

May 10, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We want you to know that we read them and discuss your feedback with our leadership teams. You are right that we do not promote based on tenure and ... More

2. "Looking for younger employees who are willing to work long hours"

Former Contractor - Supply Chain in Ontario, CA
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain in Ontario, CA

I worked at Niagara Bottling as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to be very employee orientated and give lots of "Thanks" in the way of giveaways and food. For the most part they are probably a good company to work for if you are starting out.

Cons

Expectations of working 12-14 hours a day during summer months. Even though I was more than competent to do the job, because I did not want to work those hours they ended my contract. That is not an assumption that is what I was told when they let me go. They have a tendency to only hire those young people that really don't have the ability to say no and just do what the managers want them to do even if it means working harder not smarter.

Advice to Management

Instead of making your employees work harder invest in a system that will help them work smarter.

Apr 18, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for writing a review. Summer is a busy time for us as demand increases during hotter months. We recognize this and often provide meals and other incentives to demonstrate our appreciation ... More

"Good people but..."

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Ontario, CA

Pros

The people who work alongside you overwhelmingly are friendly and supportive. Flat organizational structure makes it easier to reach out and get your job done (although that can work both ways).

Cons

Sub-par compensation (so-so pay along with poor benefits & retirement plan, no bonus or profit-sharing, and significant mandatory overtime). High workload due to understaffing. Disorganization leads to much unnecessary work / rework.

Advice to Management

If you want to build a family, spread the wealth a little. Expecting more work for less (low raises and decreased benefits = flat compensation) sends the exact opposite message. The culture has deteriorated visibly in a short time. You risk being just another mediocre employer where people pass through on the way to something better.

Jan 25, 2017

Niagara is continuously involved in ensuring that our salaries are within the range for the current market. Thank you for taking the time to review.

"Potential but..."

Current Employee - PM Mechanic in Missouri City, TX
    Current Employee - PM Mechanic in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time

Pros

-Plenty of overtime opportunity
    -Always learning
    -Safety really does come first
    -Facility is way cleaner than other industry facilities (bottling or packaging)

Cons

-No set schedule for PM Mechanic (never know if that day they'll demand you stay for 8 hours or 15)
    -No focus on job duties (they'll demand you work on everything in the building, not just on production equipment. Warehouse shelves, locks, gates, sweeping just for the sake of sweeping, hanging bug zappers, hanging pictures, painting, etc)(even when machines aren't running great they'll make us do these things, then wonder why they aren't running good)
    -Pay is way less than other industry companies.
    -They offer less pay to internal promotions than external new hires
    -Pay raises are nearly negligible (10 cents a year if you're lucky)
    -Training is extremely poor. It's a sink or swim mentality. Official training from equipment manufacturer is expensive and vastly useless (majority of class is talking about equipment that doesn't apply).
    -Expect to do other people's jobs, no matter what position you're hired for.
    -New ideas you come up with will be taken by others. Safeguard your ideas.

Advice to Management

-Management needs an overhaul just as badly as your training.
    -Training is extremely poor.
    -I know not everyone deserves decent wages, but some do. To pay such small amounts to excellent workers only chases them away, or makes them not want to work hard anymore.
    -Millions of dollars worth is thrown away per year, but it's looked down upon to pay skilled laborers more?
    -Pour all official training into factory focus (to be your references), then they can train everyone else (if you do it right, they'll only need to work 40 hours per week, as they'll only be training others-not working 120 hours every week for years straight)
    -promote within, and don't skimp on paying them decent. If they prove they have optimal attributes, why pay less? Meanwhile, it's not rational to pay outside people more and expect less of them.
    -more and better communication will solve many problems.
    -Consistency would greatly help as well.

Dec 2, 2016

We try to remain competitive with pay rates, therefore, overtime pay is competitive as well. Please know that we continuously review pay rates and incentives. Our internal promotion rate is ... More

"treated like machines"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Hamburg, PA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Hamburg, PA

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were nice, hard working, dedicated, but unfortunately, discusted with new takeover by Niagara.

Cons

New management only cares about productivity. Take advantage of employees and aren't honest.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people you are thankful for and care about instead of like your broken machinery.

Nov 7, 2016

We continue to strive for a positive environment that is respectful of everyone.

"Planning Analyst"

Former Employee - Planning Analyst in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Planning Analyst in Ontario, CA

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

You need more people to get work done at the corporate office not just talkers and actors. There is a huge lack of productivity and talent in terms of technical people.

Advice to Management

Don't let the talent go.

"Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Missouri City, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Missouri City, TX

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2-2-3 schedule, catered employee meals, and Car giveaway at Christmas party.

Cons

Unprofessional work culture, lack of proper training, high tech machines that break down consistently and employees take the blame.

9. "Sales"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Allentown, PA

Pros

Slow not very productive use of time

Cons

Worst place ever to get a job. Treated like dirt

Advice to Management

Close the place

"Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, time goes by fairly quickly for a 12 hour shift.

Cons

Being on call. Raises are miniscule. They reward with food for hitting numbers. Need to be paid better.

Advice to Management

Work on better pay scale. Competitive companies pay more. This will help with retention. Training is lacking.

"Production/Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - QA Technician in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - QA Technician in Ontario, CA

Pros

fast pace environment with great opportunities for growth and great people to be around!

Cons

Work Life Balance can be a challange at times, LONG hours!

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring and promoting great talent.