Niche Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Learned a lot!"

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I loved working at Niche Media for Los Angeles Confidential because I learned so much about the print magazine industry, gained valuable writing experience, and met amazing women.

Cons

I wish that there were more people working in the Los Angeles Confidential office. We had a beautiful work space and it would have been nice to share it with more people.

2. "Production coordinator"

I worked at Niche Media full-time

Pros

Catered meals and parties were great

Cons

Turnover was frequent, stress was high and compartmentalization was a big issue

Advice to Management

Foster communication, manage burn out better.

"Beware! Don't climb aboard this Ship of Fewls!"

I have been working at Niche Media full-time

Pros

Lots of talented, creative, funny, professional, hardworking people who really know how to spin straw into gold. Many positive team players (and tireless workhorses) who simply make the best of working in this magazine sweatshop.

Cons

Horrific (and callous and oblivious and incompetent) upper management, workloads and salaries. A complete lack of appreciation for doing some serious heavy lifting on a skimpy budget (and even skimpier paycheck), day in and day out, to make THEM as much money/profit as humanly possible, no matter how much damage is being done to the (once high) quality of the product. An incredibly cheap-looking (and depressing) unfinished office space with no breathing room, no privacy whatsoever and not even a hook to hang your coat up.

Advice to Management

There is such a high turnover on the editorial side because people can be treated much, much better and paid much, much more elsewhere. Remember this before most of your magazines finally finish going down the drain and you have NOTHING to hang your ads on.

4. "Some fun perks, not great earning potential"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Niche Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun perks of the job if you're into attending social events after work hours

Cons

Some cattiness among female management. Limited to only local retail advertisers and new employees are mostly trying to build a book of business, so ultimately earning potential is very limited. Not the place to work if you're interested in making lots of $$ in sales.

Advice to Management

Bump up base salaries and invest in employees to retain top talent.

5. "Mismanaged Potential"

I worked at Niche Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A plethora of wonderful, hardworking, charismatic people work here. The magazines are beautiful to look at, and the parties are certainly fun. On the editorial side, if you can work your way up the masthead, the position can be a great asset to your resume and network.

Cons

It's a shame that there is such a disconnect between the sales and editorial teams here. I spent a number of years working for this company, the majority of them happy despite my editorial colleagues' constant complaints of being overworked and underpaid. (Looking on Glassdoor reviews, it seems I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary than others in my position.) Ultimately, when the sales team struggled to meet national sales goals, the executives decided to make cuts on the editorial side. It's the same sad song heard 'round the publishing industry these days.... I was one of the unlucky ones. Because I was one of the few who actually LOVED my job, it was a total shock, and it's taken me months to come to terms with my newfound unemployment. Severance pay is basically nonexistent, but it's stated upfront when you're hired... so that part didn't come as a surprise. I wasn't exactly given an explanation - in fact my superiors and HR all read from a script and later reiterated that it wasn't personal, so I can only assume I was laid off because my salary was higher than others, and it's easier to recover from one laid off employee than two. They did their best to make it quick and painless. About 10% of the company was sent home that day -- mostly wonderful, hardworking people as opposed to the alternative -- and the company promptly renamed itself to GreenGale ... my best guess on that is they want to detach themselves from all of Niche Media's negative employee reviews online. Good luck with that.

I hesitated to write this review only because I have come to care so deeply about my former colleagues. The last thing I want is for the company to shut down and see all of them lose their jobs too. But it doesn't look like the budget will allow for any new hires anytime soon, so this review's purpose is more for anonymous advice to the executives - if they care to learn from this and want to bring the company to success again.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Kick out the sales team members who don't meet their goals and the few negative people who make it a hostile work environment, and reward the hardworking people before they leave you to burn. Invest in your online team (which, by the way, is in dire need of better leadership). If you can't afford raises to those who deserve one, be more creative in the ways you can reward them. Vacations, trips to outer offices, flexible hours and work from home days.

"Bought out..."

Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY

I worked at Niche Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful magazines but it was like a factory to work for. Someone's getting a lot of freebies. Many were unhappy. Then the group was sold.

Cons

Greed, greed, greed. Quality was compromised for quantity. All felt insecure. Many felt they weren't getting paid what they were worth. Unhappy people.

Advice to Management

New management - treat quality people like they are quality. Share the wealth. You're not that special.

"Intern"

Pros

hands on experience, opportunity to meet and network with company executives

Cons

late nights, no compensation or stipend, unappreciated, rarely any perks, no room for growth

Advice to Management

If you're going to work your interns like dogs, at least offer them a lunch or transportation stipend

"Trust Fund Owners & Incompetent Upper Management Friends Run the Show"

Current Employee - Editor In Chief
    Current Employee - Editor In Chief

I have been working at Niche Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At one point, the Niche brand held some cache and we were being pitched A list stars and could drive original, interesting content. This started to change around 2014.

We get 4 weeks PTO but it is very difficult to be able to take the time off. You have to plan absences around magazine deadlines which are constant.

Cons

The CEO is a former alcohol sales executive who knows nothing about the publishing business and has effectively run the magazines into the ground. The CEO has developed a corporate culture where the sales side is favored heavily -- in terms of manpower, compensation and authority. The publishers are paid very high base salaries in addition to commission and expectations are low. On the edit side, EICs and other edit staff are paid very little, do not receive any commission and the workload is enormous. The turnover on the edit side of the masthead for all Niche titles is significant.

Niche is going through a fiscal hardship and there have been recent cutbacks, layoffs and changes in the way we do business to save money. "Efficiencies" they call them. The whole research department, an 8 month pregnant woman who booked all the Niche covers, the director of ME's and the most productive EICs and AEs were let go. Not one Publisher or Associate Publisher was laid off even though there are scads of them. There have been no raises for at least two years. Not even cost of living and being a senior executive at a luxury lifestyle magazine is an expensive hobby.

Management likes to have company wide calls to remind staff how everyone -- even Vogue -- is seeing a downturn and how lucky we are to work for this company, and how many people are waiting in the wings for our "incredible" jobs. After the last layoffs, the CEO and owners got on the phone and said, "We are cutting the cord, reorganizing and will fly up in the sky." WHAT?? I have 20 years of work experience and have never heard such unprofessional or inappropriate drivel. Needless to say, most of us are actively seeking new positions and will be jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Hire a real CEO with publishing/management/magazine experience and a professional organization to do an audit of all staff and their functions, salaries, output. Or it might be best to close shop and call it a day.

9. "Great internship"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Niche Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to do a lot for an intern. Lots of hands on experience.

Cons

Needed a little bit more communication between superiors and us.

"Great place to work...if it's your only option."

Current Employee - Associate Editor
    Current Employee - Associate Editor

I have been working at Niche Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The check clears, free coffee and water, people just come and go as they please. Most circuses charge for admission, this one lets you in for free. 4 weeks PTO. If you care to, you can learn a lot and grow.

Cons

A lot of people here are incompetent and you have to accommodate for their stupidity and lack of common sense. A lot of politics and no real HR. There are people here who do not know how to use punctuation or write properly so it's difficult to decipher what they're saying. A lot of younger people who still have a high school mentality. There are a lot of good hiding spots if someone snaps. A lot of upper management sit on a high horse, probably to compensate for their insecurities. People won't do their work until you ask them to, and even then it's not right. They also depend heavily on others for the simplest things.

Advice to Management

Evaluate staff and reward employees based on performance. There is a group of people who have been at Niche for a long time and have gotten too comfortable doing nothing. Time to weed these people out and bring in fresh blood. It's offensive that there are intelligent hard working people out there who cannot find work, while places like Niche have employees bringing negative value to the company.