Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events Reviews | Glassdoor

Lisa A. Nickerson

1. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership and rotational opportunities

Cons

Other staff sometimes seemed unhappy

Advice to Management

She does not need advice

2. "Productive Experience"

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Real world work, not typical intern filing or small menial office tasks.
    -Small office allows for great networking and communication experience with office employees.
    -Learned a lot, huge stepping stone in building your career.
    -Choose your own hours.
    -Every member of the office including the owner is open to talking whenever needed, all you have to do is make an effort.

Cons

- if you do not like competition do not take this job as you are essentially competing against other interns, to standout and make a name for yourself.

Advice to Management

Continue to pass your knowledge along to other interns as you have done so graciously with my intern class.

"Marketing and PR Associate"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern

Pros

- You will learn a lot as you are essentially doing everything the full time employees are doing
    - You leave the internship with a portfolio you can show to future employers

Cons

- Not a very supportive environment. People seem burdened to answer your questions which is discouraging as an unpaid intern.

- As other's have said the owner is very rude and when she is in the office (she usually shows up later in the day) frequently talks down to her employees.

- They do not pay well. The full time employees talk about having to work second jobs hostessing at restaurants.

- Many of the positive reviews on here reek of being written by their own employees. Which is not surprising I suppose considering they are a PR company.

Advice to Management

Stop talking down to your employees and treat them better. Then you might actually seen them write better reviews instead of having to write them yourself.

4. "Rewarding and challenging experience which has taught me a great deal and helped me develop my professional identity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Getting to work with an amazing group of talented individuals who have a lot of industry experience
    -Exposure to great clients and companies in the Boston area
    -Experience working in a fully-integrated PR approach which includes Marketing, Social Media, Events, and Creative all in-house
    -Management encourages and sponsors outside memberships and other opportunities that will benefit your career
    -You will get what you give in this environment - internal promotion is very possible

Cons

-Long hours and high expectations from management - if you're lazy or want a low-commitment job don't apply here

Advice to Management

You rock- go Team Nickerson!

5. "Very Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nickerson offers one of the best cultures and atmospheres you could ask for in a company. As a fully integrated communications firm, all teams (events, creative, public relations, and social media) get along very well and work together as a solid unit on all projects. If you are interested in having a lot of responsibility from day one, this is the perfect environment. Not only will you learn a lot, but there is great opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

Due to a large workload it can be stressful at times. Numerous deadlines and meetings on each day can create longer work hours. While there is a lot of responsibility for each employee to manage, there is great reward for putting in the time. Nickerson looks to challenge its employees and the effort does not go unnoticed. Dedication is key at this agency.

Advice to Management

- Keep promoting team-oriented atmosphere
    - Always set realistic deadlines

6. "A view from within"

Current Employee - Managing Director, Event Management in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Director, Event Management in Waltham, MA

Pros

Nickerson is challenging, energetic and fun. Add in top talent industry wide and a highly synergetic environment you get a company that advances your career.

Cons

Work load for everyone in the office gets heavy with new projects, but the success in the end is worth the effort.
    The drive can be challenging but free parking offsets this con.

7. "Good internship overall, but could use some improvement"

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is welcoming from the second you enter the door, all employees work to their best ability. Work with customers goes above and beyond, I've never heard customers make any complaints. The events team does a great job of making things run smoothly.

Cons

Too may interns were hired at one time. Assignments were always finished quickly because they'd be assigned to several people which left many interns waiting a very long time before someone could find something else for them to do. A lot of the work was routine, there weren't many oppurunities to explore more of the divisions within the company because many people didn't have the time to explain things to an intern. Employees are very friendly with one another but it seems like not everyone has the same level of respect for one another. This company is For-Profit but doesn't have paid internships or stipends.

Advice to Management

Have a solid grasp on what assignments interns will have. Could improve on communication between different divisions and more explanations on why certain things are done and what it does for the company.

8. "Hands-on, real-world experience in a fast-paced environment to best prepare me for a future in PR."

Former Intern - Public Relations Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - Public Relations Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Principal is highly invested in the success of her employees and company; Gain real-world experience with challenging tasks and projects; Experienced co-workers are very willing to take time to teach aspects of the job that were difficult to grasp; Treated as a full-time employee which enables personal and professional growth; Small company allows for more hands-on experience; Company culture is optimal for creating relationships and enjoying typical job tasks; Opportunity to attend industry events and meetings to get a feel for "the real world."

Cons

Internship is usually unpaid; Sometimes a high-stress work environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to give interns hands-on experience; assist interns in creating a portfolio for future success; add more structure to internship program

9. "Great experience. Gave me the skills needed to succeed in my career."

Former Intern - Public Relations Associate in Newton, MA
    Former Intern - Public Relations Associate in Newton, MA

I worked at Nickerson PR, Marketing and Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nickerson is a great company to work for because they train and mentor their employees to be detail oriented, constantly challenge themselves and be the best they can be. They work off of your strengths and take a great interest in making every opportunity a learning experience. You will not only learn about PR but learn about the industry, how to write an email, how to interview, handle digital media, marketing, prepare for meetings, organize events..the list goes on! Nickerson gave me the skills I needed to succeed in my career.

Cons

The internship is usually unpaid.

Advice to Management

Continue to mentor and take an active interest in your prevous interns/employees. The company's willingness to help team members whether they work there anymore or not makes a huge impact.

"Not a great company"

Former Employee - Intern in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Newton, MA

Pros

Got some hands on experience as an intern
    Learned about PR

Cons

Not a great atmosphere to be in, when I was there 2/3 interns quit because it was a big waste of time. Doesn't really get to know the interns in a small office of 3 employees, felt as though I was invisible a lot of the time.

Unprofessional with the fact that the boss would talk down to employees in front of clients which was not called for. I almost felt bad for the people that worked there full time. The boss would show up for maybe half a day.

I would not recommend anyone to do business here or work here.

Advice to Management

Give more feedback to employees, communication is key in the workplace and there was almost none here.
    Appreciate the employees instead of talking down to them.
    Get to know the people that work for you.