Nielsen Reviews | Glassdoor

Nielsen Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns
Mitch Barns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Need to have better work life balance (in 233 reviews)

• long hours and more support needed (in 154 reviews)

"Make Nielsen Great Again...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the area, most people work from home. This can be a con if you are new to the company and want to build relationships with co-workers.

Great place to START your career and gain valuable experience and knowledge. Take this experience and go somewhere that will value you.

Cons

I have seen many changes over my three decades working for Nielsen. The last ten years have been a revolving door with layoffs every 6 mos. Nielsen does not value it's employees only the bottom line. They use to care what employee thought. The company used to have annual reviews of themselves where every employee is encouraged to participate in review the company and department they contribute to. This allowed the company to look at areas for improvement. This is no longer a priority.

They are trying to be a technology company and failing miserably as they don't have a clue. Do not build something expecting clients to buy into it, There is no integrity as they will promise the client things they know they cannot deliver.

Advice to Management

Need to find a good leader with some insights on how to get the company back to the great company of the past.

2. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community focused company that is committed to CPG industry

Cons

Management is largely complacent and un-empowered. The organization is desperately lacking leadership.

Advice to Management

Try to help remove obstacles for your employees. Take ownership of your group and be more committed to quality than sticking to a 9-5 work day.

"Panel Relation Specialist"

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere and casual environment.

Cons

Too much favoritism among employees.

"Retail client management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A check every two weeks. Mediocre health benefits.

Cons

A narcissist safe haven. Lazy, incompetent Bullies in management that are fully protected & supported by HR. DO NOT WORK HERE! Extremely toxic company.

Advice to Management

Nielsen will be obselete soon enough. The data is dirty and technology is old and stale.

"Thumbs down"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Covington, KY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaches you what you don' t want to do in life.

Cons

Not caring about their staff. Can't make up their mind about the organizational structure. Outsourcing jobs and firing staff in the states.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "They don't care about their call center employees"

I have been working at Nielsen part-time

Pros

Nothing about this company is good

Cons

Horrible working conditions, lack of empathy and compassion for the ones who bring in the money.

Advice to Management

CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOOK FOR YOUR MONEY!

7. "Terrible experience"

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

free snacks, drinks, new office,

Cons

I worked at Nielsen Marketing Cloud in 2016. If I can give it 0 star I would. To summarize, my time there was confusing and abused. These are a few of the major reasons I felt this way:
    1. The entire time I was there, I felt my role was a complete redundancy and it made me question why they hired me in the first place. When I finally made a minor breakthrough in an assignment and was going to move onto a bigger piece, I received a linkedin recruiting message that used exact same words I used for my project. I was horrified receiving that because I felt unsafe. Not many people knew what I was working on at that point and for those that did I wouldn't have enough power to fight back. After that, I soon lost the tiny amount of support I received for the project - anyway it was already a conflict with another team from parent company.
    2. I was interviewed for a senior role but upon receiving the offer it was the same role but minus "senior". My manager never talked to me about team visions and goals of my responsibilities. A month and 18 days after I was hired, our team had a first ever formal team meeting and I found I was the only one (of 7) that had no assignment from the priority list. When I questioned why I was put off the priority list, my manager said (these were the original words) “you can’t just work on something you like (referring to the project in conflict with parent company)”. But I was assigned to that work!
    3. Situation became progressively worse towards end of October and early November. I felt being monitored. I started to receive company emails that had "integrity issues" in the titles whenever I met with a coworker in private or took a personal short break during the day. I also found my intranet connection to parent company (Nielsen) was disabled and IT failed to fix it for me.
    4. I was of the same ethnical group with another employee in our team. I felt being put into an unseen competition with that person the entire time. But I didn’t have the advantage. I was brand new to the company to the industry but the other person was with the startup (later acquired by Nielsen) for 5 years. As a result, my existence in any project became sensitive and coworkers including senior ranks started to avoid me. Because of this I couldn’t learn properly the data and analytics system which was fatal to my work.
    5. During the time I was at the company we moved to a newly renovated building. I, along with one other coworker, was seated right in front of two glass door conference rooms with real low cubicle walls. So as along as I sat in front of my computer and looked up I could see everything going on in those conference rooms and even their projected computer screens. This made me terribly uncomfortable combined with those “integrity issues” emails because it made me think I was the target.
    6. I had some idea for the product work I was working on at that time and after discussing with senior ranks it seemed to be leading somewhere. But I received very negative and open reaction from the person mentioned in point 4 and quickly lost all the support. It got so bad the last week I was with the company that I didn’t feel safe to communicate with anyone through any channels. coworkers, especially those from my team, were avoiding me or avoiding to discuss work topics with me. I felt being framed to appear as an incompetent person while the reality was I was in an unfamiliar environment not being given guidance and learning opportunities.
    7. There were many other things which I couldn’t even finish counting. Based on my experience, I highly suggest anyone to look away from this company and work elsewhere to save yourself, your family and your life.

Advice to Management

rethink your product offering, be more responsible for the role you are given, be nicer and more genuine

8. "Membership Representative"

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Benefits were good and corporate was very supportive in some ways

Cons

MICRO MAnagement in Charlotte. Reps are required to knock on doors in the dark-even in rural areas.

Advice to Management

Empower employees rather than using impersonable treatment and scare tactics

"6 rounds of lay-offs in 6 months"

Former Employee - Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big Brand
    Long History
    Might still be recoverable if someone else takes over

Cons

Incompetent technology leadership in the Buy side.

Advice to Management

You tell everyone else to fail fast, but you keep doubling down on technical decisions that have failed over and over. Take some of your own advice and admit you were wrong rather than firing round after round of technologists.

"Vice President"

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Very interesting company in terms of what they offer

Cons

Technology is very old and it takes a long time for things to change

Showing 256 of 3,335 reviews