Nielsen Reviews | Glassdoor

Mitch Barns

2,987 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Need to have better work life balance (in 224 reviews)

• long hours and more support needed (in 151 reviews)

"Nielsen Career"

Current Employee - Programmer in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Oldsmar, FL

Pros

It is a career. The benefits are great and the company is good. Until the recent layoffs everything about Nielsen was for the employees.

Cons

The current layoffs and out sourcing. Out sourcing has become a way of business and the community suffers from that as do the employees. People here (at Nielsen) are nervous for their jobs and are stressed out about the out amount of out sourcing going on in this company.

Advice to Management

stop out sourcing. People who have had jobs here for years and years have knowledge of the company and it benefits the company as a whole. Having so much out sourcing I feel, has caused the quality to go down in this company as well as the turn around time for data.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Client Director in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Director in Paramus, NJ

Pros

The opportunity to work with smart people and continually learn new things. Throughout my tenure at Nielsen, I have had the opportunity to advance in my career by working for different business units within this very large market research company. There are opportunities to work in other parts of the company. Nielsen can also be very flexible. While the division I work for is very client focused, we often are able to work at home at times. Various people in our office have successfully worked at home regularly for years (not every day) and they have been able to get promoted while doing so.

Cons

Client demands can be tough at times so it takes a certain type of person to be successful in client service.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open regarding changes that are taking place.

"Fun and friendly place to start a career."

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent opportunities for professional growth, client contact is frequent and early in your career, good balance of analytical and technical skills and communication/presentation skills. Great corporate culture, very friendly and casual (sometimes too much, I don't think its ever acceptable for senior management to wear cargo shorts to work!). Interesting work, and GREAT people there.

Cons

Like I said, casual attire makes people feel like they aren't at work, and the professional atmosphere a 'consulting' firm should have is often absent. Another potential downside (we'll see in the next few years how this plays out) is the increased integration with the parent Nielsen Company, which is beginning to restrict many of the freedoms BASES analysts have been given in the past (for example, we are no longer allowed to use the Reply All button, and we can no longer give formal positive recognition to our co-workers without management approval). Small things like this are steering a great corporate culture in the wrong direction I believe.

Advice to Management

Dress code for senior management.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

People are great, good products and forward thinking company. I would recommend this as a place to work to colleagues

Cons

Not many cons, but most jobs are sales related and you can get burned out over time in client facing roles.

Advice to Management

I am very satisfied, management is open and supportive of new ideas. All companies have change, I think claritas does a great job of managing the transition to a Nielsen company

"Great company and good opportunities for those who like challenges and like to learn."

Former Employee - Associate Client Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Client Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Enjoyed working with my supervisors and team. Great benefits and good people to work with. I worked in a large group and we all got along. It is an opportunity company, if you worked hard you will be recognized. I was recognized, given awards and expensive employee gifts for my work. So the company does recognizes people. Work life balance is subjective, especially for those who think they should come in at 8 and clock out at 5pm everyday and assume the demands of life or work is constant. Flexibility is essential. You can move up fast. Like the old saying, "you get out what you put in". Direct management will recognize those who make sacrifices and will provide opportunities. If you are the type putting in the minimum or not wanting to contribute more than you are required then expect to get promoted or a raise, go get a union job. Do not apply for this company if you are a total chatter box or someone who just wants a paycheck. Yes I worked late, but those who are capable and work hard will be provided the greatest responsibilities and opportunities. If you are not asked to perform a greater role or tapped on the shoulder for specialized tasks, then look within yourself why you are not given more responsibility or recognized for your work. It is a great company where you learn a lot if you like to learn and accept challenges. It is a place where the average worker is very smart, if you like to be socially and intellectually challenged. I have worked at other places where the people around me were morons and thought tenure was the basis for promotions or raises. If you want to work in a professional environment, make key networking contacts with companies, learn to build your skills, and have good benefits I would recommend Nielsen. High turnover is due to clients wanting the people that Nielsen had grown and developed. Some choose to leave and others are forced out like any company. We had team dinners and lunches, so morale was pretty good for the most part for those wanting to participate. Those who have to move or had positions eliminated, the company will make an effort to keep you, and even letting you work from home in rare instances for those they deem quality workers. There is loyalty to some extent to good workers, it flows both ways.

Cons

Yeah long hours, but don't expect the apple to fall in your lap if you want to get promoted or a raise. Some may be surprised that you actually have to reach for what you want. Top company executives are in outsourcing mode.

Advice to Management

The following is my own personal opinion: Top senior executives have not a clue. I do recall at a national Nielsen function a 2 years back when a question was asked about outsourcing, a very senior executive said that outsourcing was not where the company was heading, what a liar. He and the rest of executive elite are totally inept and think this is a manufacturing company. Nice morons, try to solve the client's problems half way around the world by having someone just run reports and solving problems by what is asked instead of what is needed. You cannot replace front line talent who are directly involved with the situation and understand the nuiances of the client and problems. Pat yourself on the back David C for destroying Nielsen and its reputation. It will be funny when the top executives get their seperation packages one day and a new regime will come in, and in the spirit of doing the opposite of your predecessor I will make a good bet the new top executive will beat to the quality and employee relationship first to signify their change. Senior executives are all the same, save your hide and get your bonus at the expense of the company.

6. "Nielsen is becoming a great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Vision of the company (providing clients with insights on what consumers watch and what they buy) -- Nielsen values -- and focus on leadership development

Cons

making progress on becoming simple -- but still a long way to go

Advice to Management

keep focused on clients and on creating an Academy Company

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Best market research company to work for. Global pressence in over 100 companies. Great management team. Supportive peers. Very integrated company given plethora of services and products Nielsen offers

Cons

The downside of working at the Nielsen Company are the long hours. At times when there are client deliverables, you may have to work in the evenings and weekends. However, you get to learn how to work under pressure and also deal with difficult clients.

Advice to Management

Dave Calhoun is a great leader who is a visionary. He is transforming the company one step at a time to be the world's best market research company by a long shot compared to the nearest competitor who is miles away..

"I'd return to Nielsen at the drop of a DIME!"

Former Employee - Membership Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Membership Representative in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Nielsen has a philosophy of " You take of Nielsen and Nielsen will take care of you!" The freedom to travel and/or relocate with company is endless. Almost everyone I've known has been happy with their position; culturaly diverse and opportunity to advance is HUGE!

Cons

Though work/family life are respected and balanced, it's best to be free of commitments such as spouse or young children. You may be asked to help work a territory for a month or three that's out of state. If you're not free to travel, it can DEFINITELY hinder your ability to appear "mobile" or advanceable....

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Hang on to employees that are in it for the long-haul--don't always look for the young, unattached, fresh-out-of college employee--there's alot of dedicated Nielsen employees that LOVE what they do and are there for life...

9. "Exuberating and common."

Former Employee - Field Technician in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Benicia, CA

Pros

Pay is at the high end of the industry. Field Technicians are afforded unmarked company vehicles that doc at home ! Yay ! Training is in sunny Tampa. A classy outfit, I must say.

Cons

Scheduling can be erratic but it's the nature of the business. Though there are a lot of gaps between appointments, those gaps can cause a person to work well past normal working hours.

"Wonderful atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Many growth opportunities, diverse learning, merit-based rewards

Cons

Not as fast-moving as some smaller companies

Showing 2,987 of 3,184 reviews