Nielsen Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Nielsen Career"

Current Employee - Programmer in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Oldsmar, FL

Pros

It is a career. The benefits are great and the company is good. Until the recent layoffs everything about Nielsen was for the employees.

Cons

The current layoffs and out sourcing. Out sourcing has become a way of business and the community suffers from that as do the employees. People here (at Nielsen) are nervous for their jobs and are stressed out about the out amount of out sourcing going on in this company.

Advice to Management

stop out sourcing. People who have had jobs here for years and years have knowledge of the company and it benefits the company as a whole. Having so much out sourcing I feel, has caused the quality to go down in this company as well as the turn around time for data.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Client Director in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Director in Paramus, NJ

Pros

The opportunity to work with smart people and continually learn new things. Throughout my tenure at Nielsen, I have had the opportunity to advance in my career by working for different business units within this very large market research company. There are opportunities to work in other parts of the company. Nielsen can also be very flexible. While the division I work for is very client focused, we often are able to work at home at times. Various people in our office have successfully worked at home regularly for years (not every day) and they have been able to get promoted while doing so.

Cons

Client demands can be tough at times so it takes a certain type of person to be successful in client service.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open regarding changes that are taking place.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

People are great, good products and forward thinking company. I would recommend this as a place to work to colleagues

Cons

Not many cons, but most jobs are sales related and you can get burned out over time in client facing roles.

Advice to Management

I am very satisfied, management is open and supportive of new ideas. All companies have change, I think claritas does a great job of managing the transition to a Nielsen company

4. "Nielsen is becoming a great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Vision of the company (providing clients with insights on what consumers watch and what they buy) -- Nielsen values -- and focus on leadership development

Cons

making progress on becoming simple -- but still a long way to go

Advice to Management

keep focused on clients and on creating an Academy Company

"Wonderful atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Many growth opportunities, diverse learning, merit-based rewards

Cons

Not as fast-moving as some smaller companies

6. "Global company with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career opportunities, global company, very talented people

Cons

Can seem large and disconnected, hard to know what other parts of the company are doing

Advice to Management

Learn more about the other parts of the company

"Challenging career opportunities"

Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are left to solve problems and design solutions for clients.
    Senior leadership has a good understanding of the industry and communicates the strategy to meet objectives.
    Senior leadership has a wonderful philosophy on supporting the remote work force so the only people who understand their jobs and work independently can work from home. The people who show up at the office are typically those who don't have much real work, so going to the office in and of itself becomes the 'job'.

Cons

Nielsen is a process heavy company where often content is the problem. It is not realistic to think you can achieve a solution through project management when the people on the project do not understand the problem.
    We have some fundamental problems in our core factory that need to be addressed to achieve long term objectives. At some point, we need to make the investment and fix the problems. When we do, we will be far more capable of meeting our client objectives and drive significant long term profitability.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership has fallen into the trap of 'outsourcing' as a solution in and of itself. The problem is that you can't expect an outside organization to solve problems senior leadership does not fully understand.
    See the point above under cons. Make the investment to fix problems in our core data factory and reap long term gains.
    In the question below on Dave Calhoun, I'll vote thumbs down because he runs the company for short term profitability. He also relies a lot on Mitchell Habib for advice. See my point above under cons. Mitchell wants to throw millions of dollars at outside consulting companies to solve problems they do not comprehend. Cut the spending to consultants and let the employess who understand the problem work out the solution.

8. "Great Opportunities to grow with the company"

Current Employee - Associate Client Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Client Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

career growth opportunities, regular reviews, smart co-workers, good bonus opportunities, the company is always expanding in to new areas of market research - if you're bored (but good) you should be able to find a new challenge internally

Cons

long hours are expected of employees, as with any job your manager can make a big difference - sometimes employees who are not yet ready to manage have direct reports

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Emerging Leader Associate, Watch in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Emerging Leader Associate, Watch in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mentoring, coaching, opportunity to grow

Cons

Lack of movement on the watch side of the business

10. "Fantastic long-term employer with solid benefits and growth."

Current Employee - Global Neurophysiologist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Global Neurophysiologist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Focused on employee well-being, health, and personal growth and achievement.
    Great pay and travel opportunities.
    Dedicated to ethics and a professional, friendly environment.
    Trust, respect, and open environment for employees to establish their own ideas and initiatives to help the business and the workplace.
    Invested in the ability, utilities, software, and equipment for employees to accurately and effectively perform job objectives.
    Strong objective on fulfilling client requests with a high level of detail and commitment.

Cons

Department structure requires a high level of communication for varied job tasks.
    Inability to talk to family and friends about the awesome clients you encounter and projects you're working on.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees happy and focused on career objectives. It's a great company with a great work environment, and the output reflects Nielsen's direct investments and concerns for the well-being and commitment of its employees.

Showing 1,816 of 3,134 reviews