Nifty After Fifty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "wellness coach"

Former Employee - Wellness Coach
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach

I worked at Nifty After Fifty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun work environment, great experience and you build great relationships with seniors

Cons

pay sucks for everything you have to do

Advice to Management

you guys have to pay the wellness coaches more. There is no way they should be making the same as receptionists when the wellness coach position requires a degree.

2. "Great concept for a company, but poorly executed."

I have been working at Nifty After Fifty full-time

Pros

I absolutely love my Nifty seniors! I learn something new about life almost everyday. I relish in the idea that if you believe in them and work with them to set goals, great things are possible. They inspire me to bring my best to work everyday!

Cons

There's very little support available for you in your role. Everyone who works for this company including, physical therapy, is doing the work of 2 or 3 people easily. My biggest fear is that between operating as mechanic on broken machines, plumber on toilets that won't flush and reception to every new Caremore member who happens to walk in the door when you are in the middle of teaching a class or a one-on-one appointment is that if there's a real danger such as a member fainting because their sugar is low or trips on the carpeted gym floor, I will miss it because I had to go to the bathroom.

Advice to Management

Please stop making our jobs out to be a numbers game. Take the time and money to implement an automated checkin system for members thereby freeing up time for coaches to be more engaged. (Ever heard of store rewards cards? They work.) Finally, members are not stupid and were the first to acknowledge that I was overworked. They ae very asute and can see that you don't have their best interests at heart. Otherwise, you would take care of those that take care of them...i.e. US!

3. "Out of date company"

I worked at Nifty After Fifty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the Senior was a blast . I got really close to a lot of the members. PTO not bad ,

Cons

Out of date for medical records, worst management ever
    they do nothing for their employees , pay does not fit position, need more training for all employees, Management is not even in same state but try to tell you how to do your job
    No room for advancement unless you are related to management

Advice to Management

listen to your employees about what is going on at the facility, do not assume what is going on at facility actually go and listen to members and employees

4. "Fitness Coach"

Former Employee - Fitness Coach in Houston, TX

I worked at Nifty After Fifty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Members and Employees! I Enjoyed helping the members and group classes.

Cons

constantly understaffed and Poor hourly rate for the position

5. "its not too bad"

Pros

Ability to encourage and support seniors in their attempts to be fit and healthy

Cons

no overtime or advancement opportunities available

Advice to Management

offer more training or advancement opportunities

"Stay away from this company!"

Former Employee - Fitness Coach
    Former Employee - Fitness Coach

I worked at Nifty After Fifty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with seniors, weekends off, set job hours, air conditioned, full hour for lunch.

Cons

The CEO THINKS he can manage Nifty. In reality he messes the system up. He needs to stay in his office, or enjoy his luxury vehicles he's purchased/rented off the backs of his employees. Unfortunately this isn't new news to Mike. He's heard the complaints before and it's business as usual for him. Good luck getting any of your "managers" to answer you even via email. Crappy management all around. Horrible pay... plan on starting out around $10/hour... if you have a masters degree you might get lucky and start off at $12/hour... They prefer you to have a masters degree but will let the receptionist teach classes as well and train people.... good thing you spent a few thousand on that masters degree. You'll rarely get to use your PT skills. They expect everyone to teach all kinds of classes or get canned if you don't. Oh wait... lets ask the receptionist to do it! Management is EXTREMELY disrespectful of employees. They'll give you a "promotion" but never back you up for it. Management protects themselves so there's zero room to grow once you hit the top of the $12 food chain. This job is for you if: You LOVE paperwork (you'll never see the end of it), LOVE working for pennies, LOVE being abused by management, LOVE being abused by mouthy seniors, LOVE figuring out monotonous excel programs, LOVE filing reports for management, LOVE excessive filing/faxing/copying, LOVE teaching classes no one likes, LOVE absentee bosses (they will visit you to fire you in person however) LOVE wearing a depressing black uniform (seriously? wearing black around seniors is DEPRESSING!) The list goes on and on.... trust me DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY! It's a JOKE!

Advice to Management

Management aka Mike Merino has heard it from every employee prior to me... he doesn't care, doesn't listen, won't change, and is a heartless, emotionless, spineless human being that lacks compassion. Other management are his runner up. K A R M A

"Rewarding Experience!"

Former Employee - Fitness Coach in Houston, TX

Pros

Working at Nifty after Fifty has been very rewarding. It exposes you to many of the chronic health problems the senior population faces and teaches you how to use exercise to improve function and activities of daily living. You have to take initiative, be self-motivating and truly enjoy helping people, otherwise you won't apply your knowledge (of Kinesiology/health/fitness) or seek knowledge to further your growth and to better help the members. Managers do not micromanage which allowed me to be creative and myself. The members will hold a special place in your heart and friendships will grow among coworkers. It is a low stress and fun environment. Hope your experience is as good as mine.

Cons

No longer offers Physical Therapy.

Advice to Management

Improve upon communication with employees before relaying certain aspects of the business to members. Provide better group exercise training to coaches. The return of PT?

8. "Physical Therapist"

Current Employee - Licensed Physical Therapist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Physical Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nifty After Fifty (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for this company. The managers, supervisors and staff are wonderful people to work with. Members, clients and patients are very friendly. Good working environment. Family feel atmosphere!

Cons

Wish they didn't have to shut down the PT departments in Texas

"Stay away!"

I have been working at Nifty After Fifty full-time

Pros

Loved working with my clients, so rewarding!

Cons

The management from the top down are horrible, hate them all from the CEO down! Lieing theives!!! They expect you to jump over the moon and give NOTHING back in return. Boycott this club at all cost they don't deserve to stay in business. They have no problems putting you at risk!

Advice to Management

Fire everyone from the top down! They will never change!

"area fitness coach coordinator"

Pros

It rewarding job helping seniors

Cons

You don't get reward for all the hard work you do

Advice to Management

You get what you paid for.