Nigel Frank International Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

3.1
Nigel Frank International CEO James Lloyd-Townshend
James Lloyd-Townshend

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The targets to progress in the business are challenging but very achievable with hard-work (in 36 reviews)

• Great opportunities to make a lot of money (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The most successful people work that little bit extra so work-life balance can be difficult (in 36 reviews)

• You do need to work long hours at the beginning of your career in order to get ahead of your peers (in 68 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love this place, alot of fun, great opportunity

Cons

A lot of hours for most of the week

May 10, 2017 – Director

Many thanks for leaving your review - we agree that a career with Nigel Frank is a great opportunity and it's great to hear that you're enjoying yourself!

"Churn and burn"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends.

Cons

-12-hour days, no overtime
    -Benefits weren't spectacular
    -Frat house mentality - drinking, profanity coming from management
    -Watching members of your team leave after a few months
    -Micromanagement
    -Promotion/commission structure not what it seems

If you're young, single, and enjoy having no social or personal life outside of work, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Had the potential to be a great job. Unfortunately, upper management have no respect for their employees. Maybe pay them a living wage to start.

Dec 11, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

We encourage our teams to build strong bonds so it’s very rewarding to hear that you were able to form good friendships within your team.

Whilst it can sometimes be necessary to work a little... More

"1 pro VS 99 cons"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you just moved to NYC (or don't have any friends), you'll make some great ones here. Everyone has the same college-drinking mentality. Since you'll be spending the majority of your time in the office, you'll end up going out on Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays with your work friends. Welcome to the frat.

Cons

Where do I begin?

First off, all the positive reviews are from management and internal recruiters. They're just now finding out that Glassdoor really does effect business and people's opinions. Maybe do something about it instead of asking everyone to write positive reviews?

- The hours. It's frowned upon to arrive after 8:30am and to leave before 7:30pm. Your contract may say 5:30pm is your dismissal, but that’s not really acceptable.

- The base. $35K is not realistic for NYC. Sure, it comes with "an aggressive commission structure". When will that actually kick in? When you're making deals. When do you make deals? On average 5-9 months for your first, unless one is handed to you. When will that commission structure actually be aggressive? When you stack your deals (meaning all of your candidates start in the same month). How likely is that? Not very. Your base goes up to $40K once you're a senior (1 year +) and $45K when you're a team lead (2 years). Management swears the base is set in stone, but don't be surprised when you hear random consultants are secretly getting a $50-70K base because they threatened to leave.

- Territory. You're going to be given someone's old territory. If it was that great, wouldn't the older consultants have it? Management will tell you it's because they're team players and want to build out a new territory. That's not true, so good luck!

- Product. Better hope you don't get stuck with a dying technology. Every team has the same KPI's and targets - regardless of your technology and territory.

- The job. You're going to be cold calling at a minimum 7 hours a day. I'm not exaggerating. "Business development" core hours are 8am - 7pm. Why wouldn't you want to be the first call an unsuspecting client receives in the morning? That's when the gatekeepers are gone! Also suggested to stay until 7pm because hey, a lot of candidates are leaving work at that time, it's the perfect opportunity to get ahold of them. On that note, it's best if you eat lunch at the desk and continue working. Believe me, we aren't all sitting at our desks because we love recruitment. It's because we aren't allowed to take more than 15 minutes to pick something up. Don't be surprised if you see someone with a phone literally taped to their ear. Not kidding.

- KPIs. A company-wide email goes out every day with everyone's phone times (outbound, not inbound) and number of dials. Your managers will look at this like the bible. Better not get below 1.5 hours and 50 dials or expect a 9pm dismissal.

- Company reputation. Frank Group is a chop shop. Clients are constantly spammed and hate us for it. They will preach that a perfect fit isn't realistic and to manage client expectations. That doesn't mean you should spam the clients that are willing to work with you with 15 50/50 matches just because you don't want your team to be allowed to work the job.

- Teams. It's teammate VS teammate when you didn't send enough candidates to your job. It's team VS team when a client says they want a candidate with a competing product background. Permanent VS contract. Both sides would rather lose the client entirely than pass the role. Very shady.

- Training. If you can't find a job, find other people jobs. If you can't find other people jobs, become a trainer at Nigel Frank. The training never ends, you'll also be forced to sit through "training sessions" with management for 1+ hours until 5:30pm.. Then they’ll expect you to stay an extra couple hours because you weren't at the desk. If any of the training was applicable, this wouldn't be in my cons list. Here's a suggestion, teach us what an engineer actually does so we know what's going on, instead of having us go through Evolve and harass candidates with fake jobs.

- PTO. It's nice that you're allowed 10 days your first year and 20 your second. It would be even nicer if you were allowed to take those days off.

- Turnover. Everyone wants to leave.

- Micromanagement. Refer back to KPIs. You must be doing something at all times. 3 minutes to spare? Call that candidate you talked to last month that wants nothing to do with you! What if they changed their minds!

- Unrealistic expectations. You can't control if a client is going to hire a specific person, at a specific time. It's really not in your hands, however, you're accounted for it.

- Management. Every single manager/VP here has their position due to the right timing. All they do now is micromanage.

- The Process. "Back when I started, all we had was a list of numbers and a phone.....". Okay, chill out, this isn't the stone age, that was 6 years ago. "The process" is outdated and UK-based. Try something new, maybe then people will make money and stay. Food for thought.

- Again, the job itself. I'm sure you know what recruiting is and agree that candidates should research on their own before making a career change. But we're sales people, and we're going to sell an opportunity so we could make a few hundred dolllars. The majority of these clients aren't good (and you'd know that if you spoke to your candidates that currently work there and know the market). Most of the time, you are literally convincing someone to switch careers knowing very well it's a bad decision.

Advice to Management

I get it, the company was acquired by TPG and when that happened, a lot of unrealistic expectations were sold to them. It’s sales and you sold the dream. It’s now back-firing because consultants don't really make 1-4 deals a month. My advice is to go back in time and be honest. Or, treat your employees better so they care a little more about making (you) money and don't jump ship as soon as they get an offer elsewhere. Culture is the one thing you got right, so don't mess that part up anymore than you already are.

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't think there is a single one.

Cons

Where to begin... The only positive reviews on here are from the internal recruiters and everyone that works there knows that. The office was filthy and unkept. They hire just about anyone, you don't even need a degree. For example, I applied on Tuesday and had a job by Thursday. When I told people that, they insisted it was a red flag since no other legitimate job hires people in two days.

I worked here for about a year and just about everyone on my team was gone by the end. People quit here after a few months, weeks, the amount of people you see come and go is insane. You are expected to stay until 8pm, then they introduced summer Friday's which everyone thought was great... until the managers held that over your head so you had no excuse to leave before 8pm Monday through Thursday. The internal recruiter will tell you it isn't cold calling all day, it absolutely is. Most functional jobs wants it's employees to work the most possible hours to make money for themselves and in turn the company, so how is having a chicken nugget eating contest during the day benefitting your employees?

Overall, steer clear of this chop shop. There are a ton of other sales jobs that will make you a lot more money and are way more professional. All of the people I have kept in touch with will say the same.

Nov 16, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, although we’re sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your tenure with us. We take all feedback from our team members very seriously and we will... More

"A Golden Facade"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people. I made some legitimate friends here.

Cons

-Outrageous monthly sales targets that are the same for every consultant regardless of how strong your market/product is
    -Territories that have never had any success are handed off to new consultants with false hope and you are expected to turn garbage into gold.
    -Long hours and demeaning comments made to those individuals trying to leave for the day AFTER their contracted hours are over
    -Disgusting office and bathrooms
    -Unprofessional at times
    -Slow computers and archaic CRM system
    -It is recruitment, so it is about numbers. But you will be berated about the quantity of the work you do. Management doesn't care about the substance of those calls or dials
    -Absolutely comical base salary and the fact that they say it is competitive is a joke. Any other staffing firm will pay you more on base
    -Commission structure is difficult to take advantage of since NFI's reputation is so tarnished in the market that giving discounts on deals is the norm so you will almost never make any significant variable income as a newcomer
    -Fighting between teams over candidates and client ownership
    -Everyone is out for themselves and you have to audit other individuals work to make sure no one is backstabbing you.
    -No 401k. Seriously?
    -Felt as if management wasn't always qualified for the positions they held. Mostly promoted to those positions because they were strong billers with no management experience
    -Everyday is mentally exhausting. Not only because Recruitment is a challenging role, but also because of the lack of communication and infrastructure within the business
    -No client/candidate facing opportunities. Hard to build relationships over the phone when other staffing companies pride themselves on meeting clients/candidates to build rapport
    -All cold-calling
    -Unprofessional sales tactics and strategies
    -Paid once a month
    -High turnover
    -Extremely difficult to achieve incentive targets. Seems like the same people go on every single one

Oct 23, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback – it’s good to hear that you bonded well with your team members during your time with us.

We are currently in the process overhauling our entire IT infrastructure... More

"Close the window so the crazy doesn't get out"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent base salary, reasonable location in NYC

Cons

Crazy hours, culture of hedonism, cut throat, philosophy of taking the money and running

Advice to Management

Manage somewhere else!

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for providing your feedback, although we’re saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your tenure with us.

Whilst it is sometimes necessary to work later to provide the best possible... More

"total disregard to ones time"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can make a lot of money if you work extra hard

Cons

expect to have zero time that is not work related

Advice to Management

recognize that there should be a life outside of work

Aug 31, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

One of the best aspects of a career with Nigel Frank, as you rightly suggest, is the ability to take control of your earnings – commitment and dedication to the role will always reap rewards! We... More

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some great people and a fun office vibe with games and events
    OK for a first job

Cons

Terrible work life balance- you are expected to stay in the office until 7pm for no real reason
    Pitiful base salary- even if you are making a few deals that just gets you up to a living salary
    90% of the job is cold calling
    Shaky ethics
    Extreme micromanagement
    Employees are treated like numbers and not people- if you are not performing, even due to bad luck, you will be treated like garbage
    Quality of work does not matter as much as just having the numbers
    Very unprofessional workplace with no real office etiquette- tons of office drama- feels like high school with gossip
    Management discourages people from taking their PTO and does not regard people's needs and personal life
    Terrible turnover- pretty much everyone is looking to leave

Advice to Management

Pick and choose your battles and don't sweat the small stuff as long as people are delivering quality work, not just numbers. Care more about your employees as PEOPLE not just a machine to crank out money. Learn to at least try and hide clear favoritism. The culture and fun environment is good but you can't force it by making employees to go to drinking events out outside of work events if they do not want to. PLEASE stop advertising that consultants are going to make $100k, I don't think one person I know has made $100k in the first year. And increase the base salary- the current is barely a living wage in NYC.

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

We’re glad that you enjoyed our fun office environment at Nigel Frank, and that the games and events we have on offer were a great motivator for you.

Working around the busy schedules of our... More

"Great office culture - poor management"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun office environment (music, drinks, etc), good incentives, young employees

Cons

Work hours can get ridiculous (8am-8pm is expected), management only cares about numbers and makes it too obvious.

Advice to Management

Create a less stressful working environment.

Jul 14, 2017 – Director

We place considerable emphasis on team building at Nigel Frank so it's great to hear that you enjoyed the culture of our office during your time with us. Our incentives are one of the things that... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros except that I was able to learn not to trust my management

Cons

Managers blatantly lie, cheat, and manipulated employees to pin them against each other.

Advice to Management

Quit, there is no making that company good. When I put in my resignation I was asked to sit quietly for hours as if nothing was happening. That was so unprofessional and demeaning.

Jun 30, 2017 – Director

We're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us at Nigel Frank. We encourage team competition as a great motivator, as this helps ensure everyone has a goal to work towards and helps our... More