Nigel Frank International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Nigel Frank International CEO James Lloyd-Townshend
James Lloyd-Townshend

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The targets to progress in the business are challenging but very achievable with hard-work (in 37 reviews)

• Great opportunities to make a lot of money (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The most successful people work that little bit extra so work-life balance can be difficult (in 38 reviews)

• You do need to work long hours at the beginning of your career in order to get ahead of your peers (in 71 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Commission plans. Good Salary and strong incentives

Cons

Long Work Week . aggressive hiring quotas

Feb 20, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for the hard work and loyalty to Nigel Frank Recruitment over the last 3 years, we have noted your comments and appreciate your feedback.

2. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

Great work environment for a first job

Cons

The work hours can be very long

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could say I was a full cycle recruiter

Cons

Benefits and compensation was below market average.
    - Management was young and lacked training

Advice to Management

Have more check ins throughout the month

Feb 20, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback, we wish you every success in your future role

4. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and fun company culture

Cons

Long hours can be draining and lead to no work life balance

5. "Great opportunity to work for one of the Fastest Growing and Dominant Recruitment Firms in the Game"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the potential to earn more money at a young age then you would anywhere else. This is a job for hard workers and Positive people. Negativity will not work here. There are great people and amazing incentives for those who perform well and the hard work gets recognized. There are some really amazing people here which creates a great friendly and active environment.

This job is hard to get started but once you get going, you will be flying. As i mentioned, this is not a job for the weak of heart or mind. It is not easy to tough it here. You need a positive mind and a great bounce-back ability.

Cons

Very poor communication from upper management. A lot of times we feel left in the dark or that decisions are made before our opinions are actually considered or heard. Targets for promotions are not always clear which causes a lot of drama about certain people being promoted over others.

Some people say the cons are not enough money or work life balance, which is just not true. The people that say this are not working hard enough, or think they are entitled. If you get work hard and get your job done, this can be an 8:30 - 5:30 job.

Advice to Management

Better communication especially to your BMs/Managers/Team Leaders. Not everything needs to be a secret. Get our opinion on big decisions, most of us have a great grasp of the business and what it might need.

Be careful with expansion and jumping the gun so quickly. It often causes a lot of issues.

"Ummm... where’s the closest exit?"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fruit twice a week, kind of at a loss for more positives to add to the pros aspect of the job

Cons

Leaving at 5pm is considered a half day, success is always followed with the pressure of more success, weird “men are from mars women are from venus” mentality (to put it politely)

Advice to Management

Learn to motivate using the carrot and not the stick

Jan 29, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback, It is very much appreciated! We are happy that you enjoy our freshly delivered fruit. The health and wellbeing of our employees is something that we’re always looking to... More

"na"

Pros

it was okay but cool people

Cons

long long long long hours

Jan 9, 2018 – Senior Marketing & Communications Executive

We're very happy to hear that you've enjoyed the people that surrounded you here at Frank Recruitment Group.

With that being said, we know that it can be difficult sometimes putting in some extra... More

8. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

Work hard and you will make money + base pay - 35K

Cons

All cold calling, no long-term career growth.

Dec 12, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you were able to succeed during your time with us and earn some excellent commission.

It’s unfortunate to hear that you did not feel you were... More

"Churn and burn"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends.

Cons

-12-hour days, no overtime
    -Benefits weren't spectacular
    -Frat house mentality - drinking, profanity coming from management
    -Watching members of your team leave after a few months
    -Micromanagement
    -Promotion/commission structure not what it seems

If you're young, single, and enjoy having no social or personal life outside of work, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Had the potential to be a great job. Unfortunately, upper management have no respect for their employees. Maybe pay them a living wage to start.

Dec 11, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

We encourage our teams to build strong bonds so it’s very rewarding to hear that you were able to form good friendships within your team.

Whilst it can sometimes be necessary to work a little... More

"1 pro VS 99 cons"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you just moved to NYC (or don't have any friends), you'll make some great ones here. Everyone has the same college-drinking mentality. Since you'll be spending the majority of your time in the office, you'll end up going out on Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays with your work friends. Welcome to the frat.

Cons

Where do I begin?

First off, all the positive reviews are from management and internal recruiters. They're just now finding out that Glassdoor really does effect business and people's opinions. Maybe do something about it instead of asking everyone to write positive reviews?

- The hours. It's frowned upon to arrive after 8:30am and to leave before 7:30pm. Your contract may say 5:30pm is your dismissal, but that’s not really acceptable.

- The base. $35K is not realistic for NYC. Sure, it comes with "an aggressive commission structure". When will that actually kick in? When you're making deals. When do you make deals? On average 5-9 months for your first, unless one is handed to you. When will that commission structure actually be aggressive? When you stack your deals (meaning all of your candidates start in the same month). How likely is that? Not very. Your base goes up to $40K once you're a senior (1 year +) and $45K when you're a team lead (2 years). Management swears the base is set in stone, but don't be surprised when you hear random consultants are secretly getting a $50-70K base because they threatened to leave.

- Territory. You're going to be given someone's old territory. If it was that great, wouldn't the older consultants have it? Management will tell you it's because they're team players and want to build out a new territory. That's not true, so good luck!

- Product. Better hope you don't get stuck with a dying technology. Every team has the same KPI's and targets - regardless of your technology and territory.

- The job. You're going to be cold calling at a minimum 7 hours a day. I'm not exaggerating. "Business development" core hours are 8am - 7pm. Why wouldn't you want to be the first call an unsuspecting client receives in the morning? That's when the gatekeepers are gone! Also suggested to stay until 7pm because hey, a lot of candidates are leaving work at that time, it's the perfect opportunity to get ahold of them. On that note, it's best if you eat lunch at the desk and continue working. Believe me, we aren't all sitting at our desks because we love recruitment. It's because we aren't allowed to take more than 15 minutes to pick something up. Don't be surprised if you see someone with a phone literally taped to their ear. Not kidding.

- KPIs. A company-wide email goes out every day with everyone's phone times (outbound, not inbound) and number of dials. Your managers will look at this like the bible. Better not get below 1.5 hours and 50 dials or expect a 9pm dismissal.

- Company reputation. Frank Group is a chop shop. Clients are constantly spammed and hate us for it. They will preach that a perfect fit isn't realistic and to manage client expectations. That doesn't mean you should spam the clients that are willing to work with you with 15 50/50 matches just because you don't want your team to be allowed to work the job.

- Teams. It's teammate VS teammate when you didn't send enough candidates to your job. It's team VS team when a client says they want a candidate with a competing product background. Permanent VS contract. Both sides would rather lose the client entirely than pass the role. Very shady.

- Training. If you can't find a job, find other people jobs. If you can't find other people jobs, become a trainer at Nigel Frank. The training never ends, you'll also be forced to sit through "training sessions" with management for 1+ hours until 5:30pm.. Then they’ll expect you to stay an extra couple hours because you weren't at the desk. If any of the training was applicable, this wouldn't be in my cons list. Here's a suggestion, teach us what an engineer actually does so we know what's going on, instead of having us go through Evolve and harass candidates with fake jobs.

- PTO. It's nice that you're allowed 10 days your first year and 20 your second. It would be even nicer if you were allowed to take those days off.

- Turnover. Everyone wants to leave.

- Micromanagement. Refer back to KPIs. You must be doing something at all times. 3 minutes to spare? Call that candidate you talked to last month that wants nothing to do with you! What if they changed their minds!

- Unrealistic expectations. You can't control if a client is going to hire a specific person, at a specific time. It's really not in your hands, however, you're accounted for it.

- Management. Every single manager/VP here has their position due to the right timing. All they do now is micromanage.

- The Process. "Back when I started, all we had was a list of numbers and a phone.....". Okay, chill out, this isn't the stone age, that was 6 years ago. "The process" is outdated and UK-based. Try something new, maybe then people will make money and stay. Food for thought.

- Again, the job itself. I'm sure you know what recruiting is and agree that candidates should research on their own before making a career change. But we're sales people, and we're going to sell an opportunity so we could make a few hundred dolllars. The majority of these clients aren't good (and you'd know that if you spoke to your candidates that currently work there and know the market). Most of the time, you are literally convincing someone to switch careers knowing very well it's a bad decision.

Advice to Management

I get it, the company was acquired by TPG and when that happened, a lot of unrealistic expectations were sold to them. It’s sales and you sold the dream. It’s now back-firing because consultants don't really make 1-4 deals a month. My advice is to go back in time and be honest. Or, treat your employees better so they care a little more about making (you) money and don't jump ship as soon as they get an offer elsewhere. Culture is the one thing you got right, so don't mess that part up anymore than you already are.

Dec 18, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, although we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with us.

We have recently introduced a significant wellbeing... More