Nigel Wright Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Paul Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A business with genuine high standards that people are expected to live up to in order to provide excellent (internal and external) customer service. Monthly client and candidate service surveys show we achieve this but this requires high achievers who consistently perform.
    Plenty of individual support to achieve your potential. Much is structured and there’s a significant focus on 1-2-1 tailored coaching.
    There is a strong sense of teamwork and people really care about what they do.
    The support teams are integral to their colleagues’ and clients’ success and work seamlessly between all teams. A very joined-up company pushing in the same direction.

Cons

Seems the negative reviews here are from people who have left the business. High expectations and consistent high performance doesn’t suit everyone. It’s a shame people felt the need to blame the company after leaving. These views aren’t help by the vast majority of people who enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

In a fast paced environment, keep communication open and frequent. Keep striving to make this a great place to work for everyone.

2. "Incredibly supportive business"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A business that genuinely cares about its employees, which seems to be rare these days! Very good progression and hard work is rewarded. Fantastic marketing. If you're willing to work hard you will be supported and encouraged to progress.

Cons

Recruitment can be a tough industry, and often the hours are longer than your usual 9-5 but the highs usually outweigh the lows.

Advice to Management

Keep on supporting your employees, it makes for a really lovely company and one I'm proud to work for.

"Look at the reviews and you may see a pattern forming"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time

Pros

Most office locations are great.

Cons

Every time there are a couple of bad reviews suddenly there's an absolute perfect one left afterwards, funny that. Cons such as "recruitment can be the worst and the best job in the same day" is a sound byte. That is a con to do with the industry, not the company. No company is so perfect that it has no cons at all. People are not happy at Nigel Wright. Anyone who stays either can't leave or happens to work for one of the few decent managers left. Senior management is never taken to account and you do wonder what some of them are still doing there when there is such a high turn over in other areas.

Advice to Management

Be genuine. Genuine about the issues the company has and genuine about resolving them. Lack of honesty will always come back to haunt you. It is this lack of honesty that has brought me to leave a review on Glassdoor. If only you implemented your own values!

4. "Changes need to be made."

Pros

Marketing is excellent.
    Office locations are great.
    Good interaction between offices.
    Some friendly members of staff.
    Work with some interesting clients.

Cons

Management talk about upholding certain values, this is not the case. They let bullies run wild in the company and don't do anything about the bad behaviour if the individuals are bringing in money. It makes for an unhappy work environment.

Advice to Management

Get a hold on bad behaviour, it is fuelling the poor staff retention rates.

Encourage and support people and you will see them work hard and succeed.

Join the 21st century and provide flexible working.

"Not a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Nigel Wright full-time

Pros

Definitely looks the part. Markets itself well and is one of the more polished recruitment businesses. Nice (expensive) offices that also help to project image of a successful, well-run business.

Cons

It's all for show. Once you're in, this is a horrible, pressure-cooker environment where you get ahead by climbing on others. You soon realise that the slick hiring process is necessary given the rapid turnover of staff. Some of the more established Consultants don't even bother to learn the names of the new ones because they know the chances are they'll be gone in a few months. Once you've had your initial training, you're on your own. If you're not billing, you're out.

This is a 1980s recruitment firm where the rich get richer and the graduates get used up, burned out and replaced on repeat.

Advice to Management

Stop the internal propaganda and recognise the issues. Try treating your employees like adults. If you have Consultants that are working hard, support them and help them to be successful.

Also, stop pressuring your current staff to write positive reviews on Glassdoor.

6. "Turning (turned) into Michael Page"

I worked at Nigel Wright full-time

Pros

It used to have loads of experienced consultants who knew their craft and offered something different. Not any more

Cons

Transactional service, high staff turnover and high levels of demotivation. Declining since the latest CEO started s few years ago.

Advice to Management

Change from the kpi culture to something more modern otherwise it's not going to improve.

7. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company, good training, good support functions (e.g. excellent marketing & research IT & admin)

Cons

Recruitment can be the best job & the worst job in the world on the same day!

8. "Going the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The bonus scheme is good once you start getting the fees in. It comes monthly, quarterly and every 6 months if you hit your targets. In addition the marketing materials are really nice. The people are really nice and professional.

Cons

We are still developing the business so it is not always that the processes are in place, as you are responsible for developing the business yourself its not always super easy as you dont always have the tools.

9. "Fantastic people make a fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Level of whole-company collaboration, quality of management team, consultant training & development, opportunities for career progression, investment in our support services, quality of our customer base.and the value of our proposition.

Cons

High standards / expectations are not for everyone. Not a great place for consultants who need heavy management through KPIs.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction

10. "Graduate to Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Nigel Wright full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Nigel Wright the week after my final university exams and have been with the organisation for almost 3 years. I have been nurtured and trained by the organisation throughout this period and it has allowed me to develop and build a career in recruitment. I started on a junior desk, and have since moved into a senior recruitment role with management responsibilities of 3 people. Hard work is definitely recognised at Nigel Wright, and a clear path has been set out in front of me for me to achieve my goals. Every day is a new challenge and the exposure to NE businesses has been fantastic.

Cons

Nigel Wright expects a lot from its consultants, but the reward is great and the autonomy is self-fulfilling. In comparison with other agencies, I am proud to represent a quality brand with clear and ethical company values.