Nine9 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Anthony Toma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun Work Environment, Inconsistent Pay"

Current Employee - Talent Specialist
    Current Employee - Talent Specialist

I have been working at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First off, the company is not a scam.

Being associated with an "Agency" can come off as misleading but in reality, Nine 9 is casting company that provides a service to new faces getting into the entertainment industry. Of course there are other options instead of paying money to get started but not everyone has access to those sources. I've had talents who reluctantly signed just to get new opportunities and gigs they never had access to before. At the same time, just because you signed on doesn't mean you automatically become famous. Theres still a process to get started and talents who don't take advantage of our services are the ones that wasted their money. Regardless, the opportunities and network are there, just that this one comes with a fee.

Anyways, working here has been one of the most enjoyable jobs I've had. Although, it all comes down to who your Office Director and coworkers are.

But most of the benefits are:

- Flexible hours, as long as you communicate it's pretty easy to get time off whenever you need.

- Cool, studio, office vibe.

- Absolutely adore my Office Director and coworkers, makes the work day fun and stress-free. Everyone looks out for each other.

- Dress code is fashionable and you get to talk about entertainment all day.

- Room to grow, the company is big on inside growth. If you're looking to move up, let management know and they'll get that process started. (If you're good at your current job of course haha)

- You meet all sorts of interesting industry people

Cons

Given the majority of negative reviews, you will have to deal with aggressive people who accuse the company of being a scam. You just have to reiterate what the company does and that it's not an actually agency that takes commission.

- Long hours. Days with both appointments and open call can be draining from talking to people all day, non-stop. Plus working weekends.

- Pay. I've noticed there is a big turnover rate with employees. The pay is min. wage vs commission. During those slow weeks, it's hard to make any money with a full staff, especially working in a smaller office. It can be discouraging to have an incentive to stay when the money is so inconsistent while working such long hours.

- No real benefits

Advice to Management

Base pay + commission.

I've seen good workers come and go so often because of the low pay.
    Better pay = better work incentive.

"Even after working there it seems like a scam."

Former Employee - Talent Specialist/Receptionist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist/Receptionist in Irving, TX

I worked at Nine9 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of my best friends there. The hours are pretty reasonable and steady.

Cons

Corporate refused to update our office, so everything was falling apart, it was so sales heavy, they would sign anyone, whether they had talent and could make it in the industry or not. Corporate would always threaten to "down-size" if goals weren't met.

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing on quality talent and actually helping them get work instead of just signing anyone who will give you money. Upping your talent will make you seem more reputable. Also, better reward your employees for meeting goals and they'll be happier.

"CEO prevents this place from being at least average"

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very friendly environment
    - Workload is consistent
    - Management is lenient/understanding
    - Middle management is passionate and hard-working

Cons

- Work isn't very satisfying
    - Very little room to advance
    - CEO - and the company in general - has very negative public image that you somehow have to work around
    - Communication with HR and CEO is severely lacking
    - Management's communication with clients/the public is SEVERELY lacking
    - Pay is unreasonable for the workload

Advice to Management

To middle/lower management: There is an enormous disconnect between you and your employees that leaves them feeling unsatisfied and guilty. You say that Nine9 isn't a scam, but it's hard to feel that way when nearly every client of yours believes in their heart that it is. You can't rely on your lower employees to fix your public image. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but upper management needs to work on it as hard as possible.

To the CEO: You need to get a hold of yourself. You're the CEO of a company that I know you believe in, and you need to start acting like it. You need to get your anger under control, treat your employees and clients with respect and maturity, and stop taking every negative review of your shady company so personally. Be the leader your company needs, or else it won't survive much longer.

"SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! RUN!"

Former Employee - Talent Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Talent Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Coworkers were cool to work with

Cons

All a numbers game, most of the people coming in as "Talent" don't even know why they're even there. No work life balance. $7.25 base pay VS commission. TRUST me you'll be seeing a lot more base pay then commission, most of the people they invite in are unemployed and look nothing like the entertainment industry. After you take their money you just send them about they're merry way . EXTREMELY HIGH Turn Overate, In just one month of being there the team change at least 3 times between my peers, management, and receptionist.

Advice to Management

BETTER PAY, TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER, BETTER PAY

"Talent Specialist"

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool high energy job. Relaxed working environment

Cons

You basically work lots of free hours. Its hourly vs commission. My check has been $350 for 2 full weeks before and I worked 80 hours.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better if you want to stop losing good hardworking employees

"Place is a scam"

I have been working at Nine9 part-time

Pros

I can't say there are pros to working there.

Cons

Place is a scam
    Hires unaware children
    Takes hundreds of peoples' money with false given hope

"Be mindful.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money, & networking.. the money is easy if you have a sales background. I mean, if you enjoy taking folks rent money, and stuff...

Cons

Lies and deceit, although this a "in exclusive" "casting company" your job is to sign talent, the biggest con is that they have to come in financially prepared with 24-48hrs, and if they dont, you have to MAKE them cough up money, and then potentially buy photos if not same day within 1-2weeks after enrollment... smh

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that everything that glitters isnt gold, always protect your "employees" because without the employees there is NO business.. have there best interest, and never EVER take them granted.

"Eh"

I worked at Nine9 full-time

Pros

Good work culture in individual offices.

Cons

No time off. Rude upper management. Work holidays. No employee incentives.

Advice to Management

Lower your prices, and offer holidays off for employees.

"They don't care about you or the people they scam daily."

I worked at Nine9 full-time

Pros

If you are money driven how I used to be, you'll have a great opportunity to profit but only as an office director. The rest of your staff will pretty much pull in minimum wage at $7.25 while working 5-6 days a week 9-10 hour days.

Cons

The company does not actually provide the services to the degree they claim and they overwork employees with little compensation. Bullying and intimidation tactics are used in lieu of actual constructive management. The worst part is the dishonesty. When upper management lie to each other daily and secretly record conversations to get each other fired, it's naive to believe anything that comes from anyone. Many weeks they struggle to make payroll and in turn put the pressure on ODs to produce. Staff retention is nearly impossible and it's due to upper management not actually valuing the employees. The talent are even worse off. They're baited in by posts on Facebook. They think they're coming in to audition for the new hot film in production but it's really to get them to sign on as a talent and invest in Nine9's sub par comp cards and headshots. Some office directors will work to get their talent opportunities despite the company's intentions but definitely not all. The photographers I had the pleasure of working with were all the real deal but only because they're chosen by the office director in their specific market.

Advice to Management

This company is beyond advice at this point.

"It's An Experience"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Troy, MI

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was the receptionist at Nine9 for a few months. Being in the entertainment industry was really fun and exciting for me. All the new people coming in the door were really excited about the industry and made for a great environment.

Cons

Lots of unnecessary stress. It's all about numbers and not necessarily about helping the talents. The receptionist is the easily blame for lots of issues that the talents specialist, talent coordinator or OD should hold responsibility. Don't really get much help from higher management and that makes everything seem like a scam with them being so distant and non-talkative.

Advice to Management

Interact with all employees more and don't be so hidden and secretive. If the lower staff would be treated better and paid more they wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. And help the talents more.