Nine9 Reviews | Glassdoor

Nine9 Reviews

Updated October 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun Work Environment, Inconsistent Pay"

Current Employee - Talent Specialist
    Current Employee - Talent Specialist

I have been working at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First off, the company is not a scam.

Being associated with an "Agency" can come off as misleading but in reality, Nine 9 is casting company that provides a service to new faces getting into the entertainment industry. Of course there are other options instead of paying money to get started but not everyone has access to those sources. I've had talents who reluctantly signed just to get new opportunities and gigs they never had access to before. At the same time, just because you signed on doesn't mean you automatically become famous. Theres still a process to get started and talents who don't take advantage of our services are the ones that wasted their money. Regardless, the opportunities and network are there, just that this one comes with a fee.

Anyways, working here has been one of the most enjoyable jobs I've had. Although, it all comes down to who your Office Director and coworkers are.

But most of the benefits are:

- Flexible hours, as long as you communicate it's pretty easy to get time off whenever you need.

- Cool, studio, office vibe.

- Absolutely adore my Office Director and coworkers, makes the work day fun and stress-free. Everyone looks out for each other.

- Dress code is fashionable and you get to talk about entertainment all day.

- Room to grow, the company is big on inside growth. If you're looking to move up, let management know and they'll get that process started. (If you're good at your current job of course haha)

- You meet all sorts of interesting industry people

Cons

Given the majority of negative reviews, you will have to deal with aggressive people who accuse the company of being a scam. You just have to reiterate what the company does and that it's not an actually agency that takes commission.

- Long hours. Days with both appointments and open call can be draining from talking to people all day, non-stop. Plus working weekends.

- Pay. I've noticed there is a big turnover rate with employees. The pay is min. wage vs commission. During those slow weeks, it's hard to make any money with a full staff, especially working in a smaller office. It can be discouraging to have an incentive to stay when the money is so inconsistent while working such long hours.

- No real benefits

Advice to Management

Base pay + commission.

I've seen good workers come and go so often because of the low pay.
    Better pay = better work incentive.

"It's An Experience"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Troy, MI

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was the receptionist at Nine9 for a few months. Being in the entertainment industry was really fun and exciting for me. All the new people coming in the door were really excited about the industry and made for a great environment.

Cons

Lots of unnecessary stress. It's all about numbers and not necessarily about helping the talents. The receptionist is the easily blame for lots of issues that the talents specialist, talent coordinator or OD should hold responsibility. Don't really get much help from higher management and that makes everything seem like a scam with them being so distant and non-talkative.

Advice to Management

Interact with all employees more and don't be so hidden and secretive. If the lower staff would be treated better and paid more they wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. And help the talents more.

"What they claim to be, they are not. HUGE SCAM."

Former Employee - Office Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make great money on their sales team if you are ok with working 6 days a week and sometimes even 7 days.

Cons

No Benefits
    Scamming people
    Back stabbing from the top down
    Being forced to sign on everyone even if they don't have a good look or a great personality
    Numbers only - no customer service
    No real castings - being forced to lie about castings call they don't really have

Advice to Management

Be honest about what you do and stop acting like you are a casting agency when you are not. Be truthful with your potential talent, let them know they will have to have $495.00 before they come so they don't feel lied to. Take care of your staff, stop making them work every day and every holiday. Give better benefits that all employees can take part in.

4. "Currently a Full time Model"

Former Employee - Castings Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Castings Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at Nine9 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was really cool being a part of such a warm welcoming place. I started off as a talent and starting working open calls to boost my confidence as a new face to the industry and it helped. Later I moved to NY and worked at the Nine9 office in NYC! Got some more gigs and decided since I was getting more and more it was time to give it my all. I've worked with some great people.

Cons

I can't think of any besides maybe snow days?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

5. "Great Company With Excellent Core Values"

I have been working at Nine9 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Nine9 is fun, engaging, interactive, and ever-evolving! There's a lot of internal positivity and drive for success. Everyone here believes in the company's mission and practices the core values. It's a great environment to work in.

Cons

This is a perfect place to grow and develop professionally. There really aren't any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do - create effective workflows, drive change and motivate others to succeed!

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

I worked at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I used to work for them for about 10 months. I moved because I was too far from the office so I had to leave. But they actually did a lot of really good stuff. It all honestly depends on how you look. Obviously the better looking you are the more opportunities you will get. They are not in agency at all. They are a casting company and just like any company they charge for their services. They held auditions and workshops on a weekly basis in the office and I got calls every now and then with people thanking us for getting that auditions.

Cons

The people that came in are ridiculous sometimes. They are all really confused about an agency and a casting company. I never really understood people that were 5'5 and expect to be signed with an agency and get everything done for free. If you are not 5'10 than do not expect anything to be handed to you in this industry.

The pay is minimum wage but it's a good start especially if you want to be in this industry.

The hours are long and you have to be open to working on weekends.

Advice to Management

Get your staff in on the loop of what's going on instead of just telling us the changes.

"Talent Specialist"

I worked at Nine9 full-time

Pros

-Majority of people are very nice

Cons

-Misleading company about what they do
    -Work 6 days a week
    -Promoted so fast it brought questions

Advice to Management

-Be more honest with potential clients

"Easy job that is made difficult for absolute reason"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nine9 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like my morning schedule

Cons

Office Directors are not great leaders, high turnover rate, unprofessional, based on "numbers" that are imaginary to the entertainment industry itself, no ones what they are doing which causes basic skills, daily routine to CHANGE EVERY OTHER HOUR, Pay is ridiculous for the amount of time you spend with people and co workers, only one day off a week....

Advice to Management

Have time management skills, be a team player, talk to coworkers with respect, leave personal business outside the office.

"Fun and rewarding"

I have been working at Nine9 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team at Nine9 is great to work with and be part of, and the culture is fun with a great set of values. It's also rewarding to help our clients and talent to unleash and live their true potential, and be part of a growing company who is making a positive impact.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons to post. My experience here has been positive and any questions or concerns are addressed and resolved promptly.

"NOT A PLACE FOR GROWTH!"

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Nine9 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, literally anyone could do it. I was the receptionist and was doing way more than any of my co-workers. So much so, that clients STILL reach out to me from the company.
    Steady paycheck
    Solid hours
    Small Office

Cons

Management and talent specialists don't do their job
    Management will fire you at any given second without a second care
    No benefits or they don't share them with you
    Fake casting company...it is a scam because people are paying for a service they are NOT receiving at all and you realize this when you work there.
    Bad Co-workers, everyone is stuck up with an attitude and their breath stinks
    No protection. There was an incident where a guy took people under hostage and management expected you to be at work the next day.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your customers.....especially so they don't have to reach out to people outside of the company for advice. Stop giving crappy roles to your black actors/actresses...saw that happening on numerous occasions. Stop ripping off your customers. Why are they paying you over $500 for an iniation fee from someone who isn't certified to take crappy photos of them and edit them on picassa..not even photoshop and then try and selling them $800 PHOTOSHOOT PACKAGES?! I have proof. It's ridiculous.