Nintendo of America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Tatsumi Kimishima
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent benefits and work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Very good benefits including a subsidized gym membership at the largest luxury gym in america (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance is not considered (in 6 reviews)

• Terrible schedule, little opportunity to move to a full time position, and very restricted as far as movement to other parts of the company (in 7 reviews)

"Go no where fast"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are cool enough.

Cons

Promotions come with no raise? Bs.

Advice to Management

Learn how to use your own systems..

"Bilingual Customer Service"

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly rate $20 for a bilingual is good. Plenty of free parking. The cafeteria is excellent.

Cons

Not much growth opportunity, though. High turnaround. The team lead I had behaved like a 10 yr old towards her co-workers, micromanaged and even bullied some of my co-workers. She also had her favorite. Very unprofessional!!

Advice to Management

Re-train your team lead and have surveys by co-workers.

"Not a Career Booster"

Former Employee - IT Grunt in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - IT Grunt in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice workplace with cafeteria, gym, employee store, and outside gardens that are nice for employees.

Cons

Not a good place to enhance your career--longtimers interested only in their projects, little funds for training or improving your skills, no upward mobility as they will hire externally rather than promote internally for skilled positions. However, most management is promoted within, which means they are not trained in being managers before becoming managers

Advice to Management

Train yourselves so you understand the function of management, which is more than asking employees to work more and then giving them trouble with securing vacation

"CONTRACT- Translator (Japanese/English)"

Current Contractor - Translator (Japanese/English) in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Translator (Japanese/English) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay.
    Opportunity to work with lots of smart people.
    Great place to grow only if you are some kind of sadist.

Cons

1. Pay attention to the fact that how frequently they post this position for hiring.
    2. After 11 months of work, you have to take 2-months mandatory break (non-paid).
    3. Associates take turns to get hired by Nintendo of America (if lucky). And it can take forever as Nintendo employees hardly quit. Not much room to get in or promoted.
    4. Not really pleasant people to work with. Personally, I've never felt welcomed or appreciated for my job when worked in this team.
    5. Great place to test your ability, but again, they are really not a great people to work with. (Only a few are nice unfortunately.)
    6. Lastly, this position becomes available very frequently. And that should say all to you.

Advice to Management

Improve people skill, teaching skill.
    Learn to be fair.
    Create some friendly atmosphere with associates too.

"Product Tester and Localization Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America (More than a year)

Pros

The Campus is nice with great restaurant

Cons

Work environment is terrible, contractors are treated like subhumans and paid a wage that doesn't allow comfortable living.

"Get what you need, and get out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some genuinely fantastic IP that can be a pleasure to work on. There are also some fantastic, creative people that work there. The benefits are good with excellent health insurance, gym membership, covered parking, etc.

Cons

For me this was a dead end job. Through hard work you can maybe get a little advancement, but it became pretty obvious that if I stayed there I would be doing the exact same job for virtually the exact same pay in 10 years.

The pay is not good compared to competitors. They'll tout their bonus system, but getting your bonus is almost entirely out of your control. A supervisor may say "only one person per team can have a full bonus." Or when sales are down, bonuses just don't happen. You can not count on it... no matter how hard you work.

Communication problems with the Japan offices and office politics are a huge problem also. In my time I saw a lot of back stabbing, and the sad thing was the often it worked. The hours can be terrible as well. They tout being a family company with a good work/life balance. This was not the case for my department. You're made to feel guilty if you take vacation, regardless if it's planned months in advance.

I could go on, but I'll wrap it up. NOA can be a good place to work to learn some skills, improve your resume, get some experience. Leverage that experience to get a better job. Don't get stuck there thinking that next year is the year everything will improve. Time is a resource you can't get back.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, not just a resource. Get rid of the bonus system (Star System) and pay employees their market value. Require your senior managers to respect the work/life balance of all employees. Create a clear path for everyone to advance up the ladder. Improve the internal approval process to stop wasting so many man hours on constant revisions. And for heaven's sake, listen to your fans and give them what they want.

"Old School Japanese Company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Nintendo of America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance for most positions; good employee benefits; mostly fun-like atmosphere with Mario and other Nintendo themed characters in the HQ. Good at looking at things for the long term

Cons

Parent company in Japan rules everything; senior management has to sign off on everything including getting permission from every single person in the chain of command all the way to the president to give someone nominal raise. Employees are taught to do what they are told from senior management. Significant portion of the people at the company are adverse to change. I found more bureaucracy than the public sector there. 25 & 30 year employees with no outside experience running the company. They lack innovation in most areas.

Advice to Management

Retire a significant portion of the long-term legacy senior management and bring in some fresh talent. Adopt a change is difficult but can be good mentality.

"NoA Management is a mess, ruining Nintendo HQ one step at a time"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Fantastic insurance
    -Name dropper on your resume
    -Salary isn't out of this world but it is decent compared to other game companies

Cons

-Reggie and his suit friends on the board are ruining the company. They are biased and mean, and continue to terrorize people's lives that he doesn't like. If he and his lackies don't like you, say good bye to any hope of making an impact let alone being promoted at all
    -The company is centered around an old boy's system of cliques, if you haven't been there from the start you will forever be a lowly employee in their eyes. Some of the treehouse employees are responsible for ruining the game's artistic visions
    -The old censorship policy for internally made games during the NES days still applies

Advice to Management

You along with Reggie are running this company to the ground. Stop acting as if you're not in the business of making games and that our main competitors are Disney, My Little Pony, and Rovio Mobile. Stop butchering the products that some of us worked on when bringing them over the states. And most importantly, stop the cliques that have screwed over all the rest of the employees who haven't been part of the "happy circle."

You have screwed over the people we worked for to bring these products in more ways than one. The hate is warranted. The negativity that the people are throwing at us was warranted. Stop calling them "entitled little brats who don't know any better." Without their support, Iwata would have shut down the company we have worked in.

But of course you continue to act as if you're right and everyone else is wrong. Let's see how far that mentality gets you guys 20 years from now

9. "Upper management has to go"

Former Employee - Associate Systems Administrator in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Administrator in Bothell, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people to work with. Not for, though.

Cons

Upper management is terrible with their "Good ol' boys" mentality. Super unproductive and it created several growth roadblocks.

Advice to Management

Stop being terrible and build a product to be proud of.

"Poor management"

Former Contractor - Bilingual Product Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Bilingual Product Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun job and good atmosphere.

Cons

Spineless management decisions make absolutely no sense, slow down production and make work awful. ONLY 2 PEOPLE MAKING THE SCHEDULE FOR 300+ EMPLOYEES !!!! Don't expect to move up at this company.