Nitro Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, great people (in 8 reviews)

• I've been super impressed by the great culture that the founders and leadership team have built over the last 9 years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you (in 6 reviews)

• Pace may not work for everyone, but definitely keep things interesting (in 2 reviews)

"Nitro's a great place to work!!"

I have been working at Nitro full-time

Pros

Great , compassionate, energetic people who work and play hard

Cons

Technical blockers and some lack of product development

"Do not apply here."

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro (More than a year)

Pros

If you like drinking at work then go for it.

Cons

Bad management people from Australia promoted and never should have been, COO should have never been in this position and only taken as baggage from a merger. All around not a good place to work and turnover is high!

Advice to Management

Simple.....sell!

"Meager growth outlook"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

1. Plenty of room for process improvement for someone looking for a fixer-upper
    2. Young and fun culture; frequent social events and occassional team building exercises
    3. Decent benefits and perks

Cons

1. Many smart individuals, but a few clueless ones wasting space
    2. No viable strategy to achieve growth targets; rely on new funding to buy time
    3. Good company mantra of "no bs," if they could only practice what they preach
    4. In business over a decade yet no sign of earnings

Advice to Management

Take a risk and invest heavily on product releases. Industry leading products sell themselves.

"Best Job Ever"

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Great Product. Tons of room to grow. Nitro is just getting started. I've been here for years, and am just as excited to be working here as the day I started. Management and the C-Level are truly reachable and "there for you", when you need them.

Cons

Some people find the pace a bit overwhelming, but if you want to kick some butt and go up against some big time targets, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do!

"Amazing Company - At least I think so..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive Culture - Everyone at Nitro is ingrained to be supportive and that is from all levels. The COO and CEO will take a meeting with anyone in the company, if they want to talk about their career trajectory or they just need advice they will listen and give feedback. You must be confident enough to ask for this support, and if you are, you will receive it.

Career Growth & Management - Throughout my time at Nitro I have been given more responsibility each month/quarter/year etc. My managers have really taken the time to develop my career, they take a serious interest in what I want to do and new responsibilities I want to take on, and they are extremely supportive. I have hands down never had better managers at any previous job. Even though they are my bosses/teachers they also my biggest supporters.

Hiring - I think that we hire very well for our culture, everyone gets along and everyone is a true Nitro culture fit meaning they are a little bit type A, a little bit crazy about their domain, but they are all A players, and who wants to be on the B or C team?

Fast paced environment - We move fast here, if you're asked to do something, it probably means right now, but I thrive in this type of atmosphere and would consider it a definite pro, I would hate to sit around all day board out of my mind.

Transparency - In my specific position I have a lot of knowledge that is going on in the company at any given time, and I can honestly say that the leadership team is very transparent about everything. They want people to feel that they are in the loop.

Good times and good people – We love to celebrate and we do so really well. I have never been to an event like a Nitro event. Holiday parties, Team Events, Leadership Events, President’s Club, Offsites, everything is planned perfectly and always runs smoothly. And Nitro knows how to celebrate right, we don’t have parties every week like some people might think but when we do they are done very well. And lastly, the people, just good people. I have a lot of respect for everyone I work with and have even become close friends with a few of them.

Cons

Of course there are cons, because what job is perfect?
    You must be willing to be vocal about what you want/need in your job. Otherwise chances are you could get overlooked.
    You need to move super-fast and with urgency, if you prefer a more laid back working environment this might not be the right place for you.
    You should be super committed to your job, and I am not saying it the only thing in your life, but it should be important to you and you should be invested. If you’re looking to come in do the bare minimum and clock out at 5pm you’re at the wrong company.
    There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you’re not good on constant change I also wouldn’t recommend Nitro to you.

"Nitro knows what's most important"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated, talented people
    Fun, respectful culture
    Great location
    Awesome perks
    Interesting work

Cons

Difficult market in which to sell product - competitive and tough to penetrate

Advice to Management

Make sure employees understand their paths to professional and career development - this is an important way to keep them happy and engaged!

"Unique, Supportive Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've never worked anywhere with such a strong, unique culture. In staying true to their Australian 'work hard, play hard' roots, they offer many perks now common to start-ups (catered lunches, beer, ping pong table, etc.), but also a competitive amount of meaningful benefits such as starting with 3 weeks of paid vacation (which they actually expect you to use).

But one of the most unexpected benefits has been their dedication to supporting each employees' growth, whether it be at Nitro or elsewhere.

Cons

Like many start-ups, there is a good amount of turn over. However, perhaps less common, many past employees stay connected as part of the 'Nitro Family.'

Advice to Management

Continue putting an emphasize on employees growth and overall well-being.

"A good place to learn and grow your career"

Pros

Nitro is growing which mean lots of opportunity for employees grow along with it. The exec team have big picture priorities in order - this includes taking good care of employees (great benefits, amazing office, awards and lots of opportunities to acknowledge people) There is a lot of emphasis on helping people grow their careers so lots of training available and budgeted for as well as things like a library – anyone can order any book they want at any time. It’s encouraging to see lots of examples of people all over the company who have been promoted. People are smart and driven but also genuinely nice. Opportunities come up often to visit other offices (Melbourne, Dublin, Slovakia, St. Petersburg) which is not only great from a professional perspective but from a personal one as well.

Cons

Fast pace – company is growing fast with big goals so you need to be able to move at this pace; not a lot of hand holding here. Pace may not work for everyone, but definitely keep things interesting. There is lots of opportunity and often the need to step up and take on more so great if you want to grow your career but can be challenging if you’re content as is.

Advice to Management

We have some great people here! Continue to provide opportunities for people to learn and grow.

"You will love working for this company."

Current Employee - Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Coach in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been a Business Coach and Consultant for twenty years and have been fortunate to have worked with over 300 companies in 23 countries. My comments here are made with that background of experience and my six years of working with Nitro.

Simply, people just love working for the company. It consistently shows up in Engagement Surveys, Performance Reviews and even Exit Interviews.

Part of the reason is that Nitro, more than any other company I have worked with, places People and Culture at the very heart of the business. The Employee Experience Team (Nitro doesn’t do HR) have an equal seat at the Leadership Table.

That culture is NOT based on perks. Its foundation is built on performance and how employees behave. The three simple statements in what they call the Nitro Way are, Performance First, No BS and Be Good underline the intent. The last of those statements is directed at treating people respectfully and expecting that employees will work well together.

Although Nitro is over 10 years old it is still a start up in a growth phase. In other words, while it has established a solid foundation that makes the business more stable than most start ups, it is still growing rapidly, making it both exciting and challenging.

Finally, there is one core principle at nitro that I have not seen at any other company and it is the focus on improvement. From the time you walk through the door you will be challenged to improve both professionally and personally. If you are going to lead a team you will be expected to improve that team performance not just attend. Second you will also be challenged to leave Nitro in a better place. In other words, your work is expected to improve Nitro in someway, to leave a positive legacy.

Cons

It is largely because of Nitro’s specific focus on Culture that some people might not share the same value set. I have witnessed this first hand over the past six years. Here’s a list of the people who probably shouldn’t work at Nitro.

1. If you have an inflated ego, you won’t last long. Strong ego’s and confidence is welcomed and respected but if you think you are better than you actually are, you won’t last.

2. If you come from an established company, with all the systems, processes and support mechanisms fully baked you might struggle. At Nitro if something is not right you will be asked to fix it, build it or replace it yourself. If you come with the expectation that everything is nicely set up and you just need to do your job it won’t work.

3. Again, although Nitro has 10 years under it’s belt and is moving rapidly into what it calls Chapter 2. This means things change, sometimes quickly. If you struggle with change and find it hard to adapt to a moving environment, then Nitro might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Nitro is changing as it grows and that’s not easy to manage. In the course of the last 6 years I have seen Nitro move from a young somewhat in-experienced management team to a solid leadership unit. This was accomplished both by the development of young leaders and the recruitment of experienced operators.

There is however still a way to go. There is a need to strengthen the C Level bench and to bolster front-line management as the company grows.

In addition, there will need to be a continued focus on building consistent, scalable business discipline. Nitro has improved here but with the growth predicted over the next two years this will become even more critical.

"A company that really cares, and wants each person to thrive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nitro is an awesome company, the office is really well designed and a beautiful space with a management team that really cares for everyone who spends their time here! I love coming into work every day, knowing I am surrounded by some of the brightest and best people who are all collaborating on ways to help the company and each other more successful. My work life balance is superb, and I actually want to hang out with the people I see every day! There is so much thought put into the benefits and perks we get, and every big decision that is made from our leadership team is talked about very openly in our monthly Town Hall and Team Meetings. Sam and Gina are born leaders and bring a lot of talent to the company, and also some international culture - we have a lot of accents floating around here! The people are what makes Nitro awesome at the end of the day, and it really doesn't hurt that our product is something that we can all feel very passionate about, Nitro Pro was a huge life and time saver at my last job and the main reason I wanted to work here. You could ask any of my friends & family, they all know how much I love working at Nitro!

Cons

For all the things that make Nitro awesome, there is also the other side where it can be viewed as a bit exclusive or perhaps, single minded. However, I think that our Talent Team hires the right people for the right roles and we want everyone that IS here, to want to be here.