Nitro Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, great people (in 8 reviews)

• I've been super impressed by the great culture that the founders and leadership team have built over the last 9 years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you (in 6 reviews)

• However, I think that our Talent Team hires the right people for the right roles and we want everyone that IS here, to want to be here (in 3 reviews)

"Amazing Company - At least I think so..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive Culture - Everyone at Nitro is ingrained to be supportive and that is from all levels. The COO and CEO will take a meeting with anyone in the company, if they want to talk about their career trajectory or they just need advice they will listen and give feedback. You must be confident enough to ask for this support, and if you are, you will receive it.

Career Growth & Management - Throughout my time at Nitro I have been given more responsibility each month/quarter/year etc. My managers have really taken the time to develop my career, they take a serious interest in what I want to do and new responsibilities I want to take on, and they are extremely supportive. I have hands down never had better managers at any previous job. Even though they are my bosses/teachers they also my biggest supporters.

Hiring - I think that we hire very well for our culture, everyone gets along and everyone is a true Nitro culture fit meaning they are a little bit type A, a little bit crazy about their domain, but they are all A players, and who wants to be on the B or C team?

Fast paced environment - We move fast here, if you're asked to do something, it probably means right now, but I thrive in this type of atmosphere and would consider it a definite pro, I would hate to sit around all day board out of my mind.

Transparency - In my specific position I have a lot of knowledge that is going on in the company at any given time, and I can honestly say that the leadership team is very transparent about everything. They want people to feel that they are in the loop.

Good times and good people – We love to celebrate and we do so really well. I have never been to an event like a Nitro event. Holiday parties, Team Events, Leadership Events, President’s Club, Offsites, everything is planned perfectly and always runs smoothly. And Nitro knows how to celebrate right, we don’t have parties every week like some people might think but when we do they are done very well. And lastly, the people, just good people. I have a lot of respect for everyone I work with and have even become close friends with a few of them.

Cons

Of course there are cons, because what job is perfect?
    You must be willing to be vocal about what you want/need in your job. Otherwise chances are you could get overlooked.
    You need to move super-fast and with urgency, if you prefer a more laid back working environment this might not be the right place for you.
    You should be super committed to your job, and I am not saying it the only thing in your life, but it should be important to you and you should be invested. If you’re looking to come in do the bare minimum and clock out at 5pm you’re at the wrong company.
    There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you’re not good on constant change I also wouldn’t recommend Nitro to you.

"Unique, Supportive Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've never worked anywhere with such a strong, unique culture. In staying true to their Australian 'work hard, play hard' roots, they offer many perks now common to start-ups (catered lunches, beer, ping pong table, etc.), but also a competitive amount of meaningful benefits such as starting with 3 weeks of paid vacation (which they actually expect you to use).

But one of the most unexpected benefits has been their dedication to supporting each employees' growth, whether it be at Nitro or elsewhere.

Cons

Like many start-ups, there is a good amount of turn over. However, perhaps less common, many past employees stay connected as part of the 'Nitro Family.'

Advice to Management

Continue putting an emphasize on employees growth and overall well-being.

"You will love working for this company."

Current Employee - Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Coach in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been a Business Coach and Consultant for twenty years and have been fortunate to have worked with over 300 companies in 23 countries. My comments here are made with that background of experience and my six years of working with Nitro.

Simply, people just love working for the company. It consistently shows up in Engagement Surveys, Performance Reviews and even Exit Interviews.

Part of the reason is that Nitro, more than any other company I have worked with, places People and Culture at the very heart of the business. The Employee Experience Team (Nitro doesn’t do HR) have an equal seat at the Leadership Table.

That culture is NOT based on perks. Its foundation is built on performance and how employees behave. The three simple statements in what they call the Nitro Way are, Performance First, No BS and Be Good underline the intent. The last of those statements is directed at treating people respectfully and expecting that employees will work well together.

Although Nitro is over 10 years old it is still a start up in a growth phase. In other words, while it has established a solid foundation that makes the business more stable than most start ups, it is still growing rapidly, making it both exciting and challenging.

Finally, there is one core principle at nitro that I have not seen at any other company and it is the focus on improvement. From the time you walk through the door you will be challenged to improve both professionally and personally. If you are going to lead a team you will be expected to improve that team performance not just attend. Second you will also be challenged to leave Nitro in a better place. In other words, your work is expected to improve Nitro in someway, to leave a positive legacy.

Cons

It is largely because of Nitro’s specific focus on Culture that some people might not share the same value set. I have witnessed this first hand over the past six years. Here’s a list of the people who probably shouldn’t work at Nitro.

1. If you have an inflated ego, you won’t last long. Strong ego’s and confidence is welcomed and respected but if you think you are better than you actually are, you won’t last.

2. If you come from an established company, with all the systems, processes and support mechanisms fully baked you might struggle. At Nitro if something is not right you will be asked to fix it, build it or replace it yourself. If you come with the expectation that everything is nicely set up and you just need to do your job it won’t work.

3. Again, although Nitro has 10 years under it’s belt and is moving rapidly into what it calls Chapter 2. This means things change, sometimes quickly. If you struggle with change and find it hard to adapt to a moving environment, then Nitro might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Nitro is changing as it grows and that’s not easy to manage. In the course of the last 6 years I have seen Nitro move from a young somewhat in-experienced management team to a solid leadership unit. This was accomplished both by the development of young leaders and the recruitment of experienced operators.

There is however still a way to go. There is a need to strengthen the C Level bench and to bolster front-line management as the company grows.

In addition, there will need to be a continued focus on building consistent, scalable business discipline. Nitro has improved here but with the growth predicted over the next two years this will become even more critical.

"A company that really cares, and wants each person to thrive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nitro is an awesome company, the office is really well designed and a beautiful space with a management team that really cares for everyone who spends their time here! I love coming into work every day, knowing I am surrounded by some of the brightest and best people who are all collaborating on ways to help the company and each other more successful. My work life balance is superb, and I actually want to hang out with the people I see every day! There is so much thought put into the benefits and perks we get, and every big decision that is made from our leadership team is talked about very openly in our monthly Town Hall and Team Meetings. Sam and Gina are born leaders and bring a lot of talent to the company, and also some international culture - we have a lot of accents floating around here! The people are what makes Nitro awesome at the end of the day, and it really doesn't hurt that our product is something that we can all feel very passionate about, Nitro Pro was a huge life and time saver at my last job and the main reason I wanted to work here. You could ask any of my friends & family, they all know how much I love working at Nitro!

Cons

For all the things that make Nitro awesome, there is also the other side where it can be viewed as a bit exclusive or perhaps, single minded. However, I think that our Talent Team hires the right people for the right roles and we want everyone that IS here, to want to be here.

"Proud contributer"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was at Nitro 2013-2015. I came in at the ground floor and found it to be a great space to develop my skills and interests, make good friends, and launch a lucrative career. Nitro has great team-spirit and offers you the opportunity to make your mark challenging a big name competitor.

Cons

The typical challenges of startup life… Take the bad with the good and celebrate the wins.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating! There is a massive B2B opportunity to take on Adobe Acrobat and be the go-to choice for business users.

"An amazing company to work for that lives and breathes its values."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Nitro when it was 10 people in an office at 575 Market Street. I left once it was well over 100 at 225 Bush. It was the defining experience of my career and I'd have to say I regret leaving when I did. Nitro gets culture in a way that very few companies do. Having had the chance to work in three different companies since, I have the perspective to appreciate how much I really did love working there. Nitro has the greatest sales culture I've come across. They also understand the value of good creative, and have built an incredible brand over the years.

Nitro is not for everyone. It's a competitive environment, and you will get challenged. As you should be. I've always said Nitro is like a pro sports team — it's inherently competitive and aggressive in pursuit of its goals, but there's an amazing camaraderie to it.

The one thing that defines Nitro is its bootstrapped beginnings. Having worked for VC backed companies (the ones where funding pays the bills), which are the norm in SF/SV, it's amazing to think that a place like Nitro — that was cashflow positive since day dot — has been so successful, and it's a testament to the core executive team. Nitro understands the value of money, and makes everyone feel like a revenue contributor.

Finally, the perks. I've never seen better. Great health/dental/vision/etc. Ridiculous kitchen. And the bar. I still stop by once every couple of weeks for a drink and a catch-up. And they still make me feel like family.

Nitro taught me pretty much everything I know, and Im very grateful for that.

Cons

Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to think of any real cons. You could argue that there's a lot — maybe too much, but not in my opinion — emphasis on being "part of the team". You have to buy in to the vision to succeed there, and you have to make some effort to get along with the people you work with. It also helps if you enjoy a drink. Perhaps a few years ago it was very, very sales/marketing-oriented, but with the expansion of the eng team in the SF office this has changed considerably.

Cultures are not all-inclusive. They are not for everybody. Nitro may not be for some people but for the 90% of folk who thrive there it's a brilliant place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. And as cliched as it sounds, stay true to who you are. That's what took you this far and that's what'll take you to an IPO.

7. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summer Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summer Mesa, AZ

Pros

Great place to work, great people

Cons

Long hours, sometimes not always

Advice to Management

None

8. "Lovely team, great experience"

Former Intern - QA Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - QA Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff were extremely friendly.
    I was given tasks that were manageable but challenging.
    Everyone was eager to teach and provide feedback and make me feel like part of the team.
    I really enjoyed my time there, learned things that can relate back to my computer science course and will build upon in my future career. I would highly recommend an internship at Nitro to anyone.

Cons

In my experience at Nitro, I did not encounter anything that I would consider a con during my internship program.

Advice to Management

I felt that the management were great, they provided regular feedback, encouragement and support. The process of becoming an intern was seamless thanks to the employee experience team. So I suppose my advice would be to keep doing what you are doing!

"High growth potential for company and career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nitro has a lot of fun, hard-working people. It's been go-go-go since I started but all in the spirit of lofty (but achievable) goals. There's a lot of mentorship for those who seek it, and no shortage of learning opportunities as well. Results alone are highly valued, and great results (not tenure) lead to promotions.

Very much a "Silicon Valley" company with all the perks: free drinks, free lunches, yoga, parties, etc. There's a palpable excitement around Nitro's growth, and I'm personally excited to be here at this stage. There's a unique amount of visibility and access to the executive level; feels more like an open-door policy than other companies I've been at.

Extroverted people will see more success here. Grab lunch with your coworkers, get involved with extracurriculars, find your crew, etc.

Cons

Most of the cons are by-products of the pros above. The go-go-go attitude can leave some in the dust, resulting in a bit more churn than I'm used to. Although it seems like these are largely growing pains as Nitro finds a new foothold and expands the company in new ways after its funding. A departure (layoff or otherwise) of a coworker can sometimes come as a surprise.

Introverted people here will have a harder time. Help tends to be reserved for those who ask; if you don't ask, you probably won't be helped. Also, in the same way that good results are rewarded swiftly, poor results seem to be met with equal swiftness.

Advice to Management

Put more value on 1:1 mentorship (expand the Nitro-mate program beyond the first day).

10. "An incredible place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Nitro, you truly have the opportunity to work with innovative and intelligent individuals - the type of people you enjoy solving problems with. There is a wonderful mix of different people with different backgrounds - it is easy to feel at home and feel like you're part of a family.

If you work hard and you're a good person - good things happen for you here. It is an awesome place to grow your career - this is clear because people who have been with the company have been promoted and have moved forward in their career trajectories.

All the perks of a San Francisco tech company, but with a realness and transparency that's pretty rare and hard to find.

Cons

Some growing pains, but nothing out of the ordinary for the stage Nitro is in.