Nitro Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Jun 20, 2016

Found 6 of over 126 reviews

4.7
Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler
Pros
  • "Great people, culture and working environment(in 10 reviews)

• "hard working team, achievements are actually recognized(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you’re not good on constant change I also wouldn’t recommend Nitro to you(in 6 reviews)

• "Good company mantra of "no bs," if they could only practice what they preach(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Company - At least I think so...

Jun 20, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive Culture - Everyone at Nitro is ingrained to be supportive and that is from all levels. The COO and CEO will take a meeting with anyone in the company, if they want to talk about their career trajectory or they just need advice they will listen and give feedback. You must be confident enough to ask for this support, and if you are, you will receive it. Career Growth & Management - Throughout my time at Nitro I have been given more responsibility each month/quarter/year etc. My managers have really taken the time to develop my career, they take a serious interest in what I want to do and new responsibilities I want to take on, and they are extremely supportive. I have hands down never had better managers at any previous job. Even though they are my bosses/teachers they also my biggest supporters. Hiring - I think that we hire very well for our culture, everyone gets along and everyone is a true Nitro culture fit meaning they are a little bit type A, a little bit crazy about their domain, but they are all A players, and who wants to be on the B or C team? Fast paced environment - We move fast here, if you're asked to do something, it probably means right now, but I thrive in this type of atmosphere and would consider it a definite pro, I would hate to sit around all day board out of my mind. Transparency - In my specific position I have a lot of knowledge that is going on in the company at any given time, and I can honestly say that the leadership team is very transparent about everything. They want people to feel that they are in the loop. Good times and good people – We love to celebrate and we do so really well. I have never been to an event like a Nitro event. Holiday parties, Team Events, Leadership Events, President’s Club, Offsites, everything is planned perfectly and always runs smoothly. And Nitro knows how to celebrate right, we don’t have parties every week like some people might think but when we do they are done very well. And lastly, the people, just good people. I have a lot of respect for everyone I work with and have even become close friends with a few of them.

Cons

Of course there are cons, because what job is perfect? You must be willing to be vocal about what you want/need in your job. Otherwise chances are you could get overlooked. You need to move super-fast and with urgency, if you prefer a more laid back working environment this might not be the right place for you. You should be super committed to your job, and I am not saying it the only thing in your life, but it should be important to you and you should be invested. If you’re looking to come in do the bare minimum and clock out at 5pm you’re at the wrong company. There are growing pains and things can change very rapidly, so if you’re not good on constant change I also wouldn’t recommend Nitro to you.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

High growth potential for company and career

Jul 28, 2015 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nitro has a lot of fun, hard-working people. It's been go-go-go since I started but all in the spirit of lofty (but achievable) goals. There's a lot of mentorship for those who seek it, and no shortage of learning opportunities as well. Results alone are highly valued, and great results (not tenure) lead to promotions. Very much a "Silicon Valley" company with all the perks: free drinks, free lunches, yoga, parties, etc. There's a palpable excitement around Nitro's growth, and I'm personally excited to be here at this stage. There's a unique amount of visibility and access to the executive level; feels more like an open-door policy than other companies I've been at. Extroverted people will see more success here. Grab lunch with your coworkers, get involved with extracurriculars, find your crew, etc.

Cons

Most of the cons are by-products of the pros above. The go-go-go attitude can leave some in the dust, resulting in a bit more churn than I'm used to. Although it seems like these are largely growing pains as Nitro finds a new foothold and expands the company in new ways after its funding. A departure (layoff or otherwise) of a coworker can sometimes come as a surprise. Introverted people here will have a harder time. Help tends to be reserved for those who ask; if you don't ask, you probably won't be helped. Also, in the same way that good results are rewarded swiftly, poor results seem to be met with equal swiftness.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Being given the ability to learn and grow with a great company...

Oct 29, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The one thing about Nitro I have noticed is how engaged Senior Management is with each employee. You want that in your employer. Health insurance, gym membership, wine tastings, catered lunches, and more make you want to go to bat for Nitro because they make it seem as if they are going to bat for you. I will also say Nitro will do anything to try and be better and they understand certain risks may be made and will fix it if it is not working.

Cons

Growing pains. Every company has growing pains and through these you have a learning experience. This can be viewed as a pro too but you can definitely see some decisions be made and they may or may not work out.

6 people found this review helpful

Nitro Response

talent ambassador

Thanks for your response.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An incredible place to work.

Jul 6, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

At Nitro, you truly have the opportunity to work with innovative and intelligent individuals - the type of people you enjoy solving problems with. There is a wonderful mix of different people with different backgrounds - it is easy to feel at home and feel like you're part of a family. If you work hard and you're a good person - good things happen for you here. It is an awesome place to grow your career - this is clear because people who have been with the company have been promoted and have moved forward in their career trajectories. All the perks of a San Francisco tech company, but with a realness and transparency that's pretty rare and hard to find.

Cons

Some growing pains, but nothing out of the ordinary for the stage Nitro is in.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to grow my career

Nov 14, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nitro is a growing tech company that has a very bright future. With the growth of new offices and new positions, we really have the opportunity to drive our roles in the direction that we want to go withing the company. My team is positive and very hard working which keeps me motivated :) I have the autonomy to do what I'm great at and my manager trusts me. I know I will be with Nitro for years to come.

Cons

Right now there a few growing pains with adding new higher level positions that we previously did not have, but these are positions that we need to fill in order to be successful.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture with meaningful values (High Performance, Be Good, No Bullsh*t) and a great place to learn!

Nov 24, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nitro is unique in that it's rare to find a company that truly lives up to its core values. It's a really exciting time to be at the company too. We've just closed a round of funding, the product vision is more exciting than ever, and the team here are some of the best, most talented people I've ever worked with. There are also really great growth and career opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work to learn and move up. It also feels like everyone wants to be here, irrespective of their role, which I think speaks volumes.

Cons

Things are changing quickly as we scale and the company has definitely experienced growing pains, but it's all normal stuff and part of growing a business. It's a fast-paced work environment that's not for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Communication across departments could be better, but this has improved lately.

1 person found this review helpful