Noah's Bagels General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

General Manager

1.8
Sarah Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the free food didn't hurt either (in 4 reviews)

• No late nights - but this also means that your mornings will start at 2 or 3am (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, 1-2 dollars lower in every position compared to companies in the same shopping center (in 4 reviews)

• The company provides NO holiday pay, but requires all stores to be open for every day of the year (in 3 reviews)

"A LOT OF WORK"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Noah's Bagels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay!
    Great Benefits!
    Great stepping stone for someone without a college degree to make a good salary.

Cons

Long Days!
    Audits!
    SO structured, you can't breathe at times.
    No labor back-up. Working with the bare minimum amount of staff.

Advice to Management

Allot more money for labor. Understand that in San Francisco labor precent average is well over the traditional 25%.

"Tough Quality of Life"

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Noah's Bagels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Out early in the day

Cons

"No Late Nights" in their advertising spin means that your late night is actually a very early morning. Get to work at 2AM. Leave for home at 2PM. Enjoy your night!

"This company does not take care of their people."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

Pros

Not many late nights.
    Employees are allowed a free and/or discounted meal (at least when I still worked there).
    Nothing else really comes to mind.

Cons

The company provides NO holiday pay, but requires all stores to be open for every day of the year.
    Noah's used to follow practices that took care of their employees and kept employees happy. However, now the focus is to squeeze every dollar out by any means possible. I gave two months notice so that the regional business manager could get someone competent to take my place as GM, however, they had a shift leader (for no increase in pay) take over for months which slowly pushed every crew member out and to find other jobs. Meanwhile, the company had the most profitable year to date before all of this took place and it was well within their budget to properly compensate someone for the long hours of being the GM.

Advice to Management

Provide benefits and holiday pay if you are

"Years of blood sweat and tears wasted"

Former Employee - General Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Noah's Bagels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I held many titles during my 6 years with this company and being a baker was my favorite. Coming in at 2 am and being alone for a few hours just focusing on making each bagel and pastry look perfect was actually really fun. Hard work but I liked it. And the free food didn't hurt either.

Cons

Mandatory 50 hour work weeks for GMs
    No tips or holiday pay ever for staff. No incentives to offer
    Terrible training
    Nothing but negativity from district managers. No matter how well you're doing it's not good enough.
    Very high turn over rate. Pretty much everyone in corporate jumped ship while I was there
    High injury rate. Sending employees to the ER is common. I'm scarred for life from the oven and almost lost my finger tip

5. "good old boys club"

Former Employee - General Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

great product
    keeps up with time with changes in product

Cons

once you build a store's reputation, mngmt come in and pushed you out. puts ou in a store that will close son, brings in friend and works in area of store you built up.
    frabricates documents in employee files. Always check your - it's our right.

Advice to Management

stop playing games and give people credit for what they contribute. don't put good people in stores that are on the brink of closure.

6. "Stay away if possible"

Current Employee - General Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

Consistent pay check, decent health benefits, reasonable hours for a restaurant operations, good entail concept, middle management growth obtainable for most

Cons

long hours, ever changing bonus plan to eliminate as much payouts as possible, the consent changing in direction of company, poor management and planning, corporate office is discontented with employees and customers.

Advice to Management

do your market research before bringing change, learn how to execute roll outs with more consideration to production, increase numbers allocated to labor expense