Noble Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Noble Energy President & COO David L. Stover
David L. Stover

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Definitely a "good ole boy mentality" (in 10 reviews)

• The external market oil and gas environment is impacting Noble (in 6 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co workers and supportive and hard workers

Cons

Down turn and three years of layoffs has everyone on the edge. It's about that time again, September has been a month of our annual lay offs.

Advice to Management

Stop using the lay off as a way to better the end of year numbers. After a while investors will get what you are doing. Have vision... This company was built on the people not by assets. We have forgotten about our core foundation.

2. "Regulatory Analyst"

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

Good relationships with hard working people.

Cons

Constant change. Disconnect between locations.

Advice to Management

Know what your staff does before moving them around.

3. "NE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good location, small company, good management

Cons

small company, subject to low oil prices

Advice to Management

keep trucking

"Engineer In Limbo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Great Benefits. Love the 9/4, half Friday work structure. Lots of leave time for various situations. On-site gym (free), On-site cafe. Love the location away from downtown, the energy corridor and the Galleria. Easy drive to work. Everyone I have interacted with have been great people.

Cons

I wasn't here with the "Dave Stover" leadership change over, so I can compare past Noble with current Noble, but I can compare to all the other companies I have worked for. When I first came in I was very optimistic about Noble. However, now I am in limbo and don't know what to think. Everyone preaches "promote within", develop our young, opportunities for our engineers. However, I have not seen any support of this. When opportunities open up, hiring managers rather hire people from the outside than promote and develop engineers from within. That's a bad sign. They say one thing and do another. What other characteristics will I see from this company? Only time will tell...

Advice to Management

There needs to be an employee development program. There's no program in place for those employees who want to increase their skill level, change their career path, or move up within the company. Employees can only do so much on their own to develop their career path internally before they begin having to go outside for their own growth. Management needs to push HR and hiring managers to develop employees and support employee career goals.

""Noble nice" is destroying the company as much as the market is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great 401k and PTO, onsite gym, easy interviewing and hiring process, half day Fridays, decent people to work with, nice office building.

Cons

The downturn and change of CEO has taken away the best things Noble had going for it. The culture is a wreck of negativity and frustration. There is very little faith in leadership from the front lines. This company is a boys club with a very political environment. Pay is decent, but it isn't based on the value you add, it is based on your job title, and your job title is also not based on the value you add but the years you have sat in a chair. People with lackluster attitudes who are here to wait out the hours can go very far because of their years of experience and previous job titles, but to advance from the bottom is nearly impossible. Noble wants to hire young because it is a cheap way to bring in talent, but their environment is not ready to support their target audience. Bringing young professionals into an old school, highly conservative company that is very slow to adopt change is not a recipe for success.

Advice to Management

Promote people willing to push for change and challenge employees. Good employees will respond well to a challenge. Revive your leadership with key people that can have tough conversations in order to better the company. Create and maintain an environment that will enable the employees your are hiring, not an environment that will weed those same employees out after a frustrating few years.

"Great company to cut your teeth on. Marcellus Business Unit focused on safety first, production second."

Current Employee - Lease Operator in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great immediate leadership, great field guys. With the safety first mindset you are allowed to step back, assess and learn before immediately rushing in to fix a problem.

Cons

Incredible amount of paperwork required to complete some simple "hazardous" tasks. Getting changes made to equipment sometimes takes years to go through all the approval chains.

Advice to Management

Keep the safety mindset, however do not overuse the word as it will eventually lose meaning. When everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.

7. "IT Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malabo, Bioko Norte (Equatorial Guinea)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and work-family balance

Cons

Poor Management and Leadership

Advice to Management

Implement effective development plan for employees

8. "Great Company"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Noble Energy as a contractor

Pros

Very good culture, great pay, upper management is all fantastic to work with.

Cons

None so far. Occasional layoffs based on job.

Advice to Management

None.

"Sad state of affairs."

Pros

Pay is fine. Benefits are standard for a large company although not necessarily evenly distributed . 9/80 schedule is always nice.

Cons

Company has lost its way since new CEO has taken over. Really a shadow of its former self. Lloyd Noble would not be happy.

Advice to Management

CEO and his lieutenants need to move on before company is gone.

"Lease Analyst"

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, flexible work schedule, education opportunities

Cons

lots of corporate politics, hard to move up unless you know someone

Advice to Management

Promote from within and at the appropriate level, the hiring and promoting of family members and friends of supervisors/managers makes other employees frustrated.