Noble Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Definitely a "good ole boy mentality" (in 10 reviews)

• The external market oil and gas environment is impacting Noble (in 6 reviews)

"Treasury Manager"

Current Employee - Treasury Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Treasury Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, decent compensation and benefits

Cons

issues with work life balance

"Landman"

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for. Great learning potential.

Cons

No advancement opportunities available for the foreseeable future.

Advice to Management

Find a way for employees to progress.

"Recently Downsized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellaire, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellaire, TX

I worked at Noble Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intelligent, friendly people to work with
    Team environment is very supportive
    Very high tech

Cons

Management has had a difficult time adjusting to lower oil prices and laid off many people in exploration. After all of the layoffs (3 in total). the company is still very top heavy with management.

"Company Review"

I have been working at Noble Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation policies; half-days on Friday

Cons

Title promotion is hard; financial one even more

"Noble has a great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is top notch. The pay seems to be higher than other area competitors.

Cons

The market conditions seem to have Noble in a complete limbo. You don't really know how to feel day to day, because some days you're just not sure how long your job will be there. Benefits are mediocre. There's definitely a good bit of cronyism, but I think that is pretty typical for the industry. Management often rolls out surveys regarding feelings on performance, but doesn't seem to react to the results. Performance reviews are a joke as no one seems to review those, either.

Advice to Management

Please come with a clear message on your plans moving forward. The constant ups and downs do not make people comfortable in their jobs. Listen to your employees! There are a lot of good ones here.

"Half the pay"

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with

Cons

Management need to be cleaned out and they need to fill with qualified people. I do the same job as other people and get half the pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they know more then you

"Great people but lack of opportunities and clear communication"

I worked at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

-My former coworkers were great and always willing to help.
    -The benefits were good and having a gym in the building was very convenient.
    -There are some great leaders at Noble that will fight for their people and will be totally transparent and honest; it's just not the norm.
    -The building is really nice and office space is comfortable

Cons

-Poor communication from the top down. It's also hard because part of the culture at Noble is that most people ignore emails and do not ready the articles that corporate comms publish
    -Tough conversations were almost never had- everyone was "Noble Nice" which means you just swept problems under the rug or ignored them until they went away
    -No training opportunities, career development, or career growth conversations were had in my team
    -Compensation-- I get that times are tough but even a little bit helps
    -Lack of opportunity- I felt that I would be stuck in the same position I was in until someone else left. I also felt that I had stagnated and without training, I wasn't learning anything new.

Advice to Management

-Be transparent and be honest even if things aren't pretty or when conversations aren't going to be fun to have.
    -Stop trying to tell us that everything is sunshine and rainbows! We know that the market sucks, be honest about that and transparent about where Noble stands
    -Have conversations with your employees about their goals, their strengths, weaknesses, and career path often and OUTSIDE OF the yearly performance evaluation
    -Tell people when they did a good job. There isn't much you can do for compensation in this market so make people feel valued in other ways
    -When you get feedback, actually listen and try to understand why your employees are saying the things that they are. Don't just make excuses
    -When someone announces that they are leaving, do not just pretend like they don't exist for the next two weeks

"Over worked, under paid, hostile environment, and 4 hour Fridays are a blue moon occurrence."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The 401k is decent and the gym is nice.

Cons

Treat employees like garbage. Upper level management is a joke. Some managers don't even have the correct degrees or experience to be a manager. You will almost never see the CEO of the company and the CFO spends a lot of time preaching how he has been through the ups and downs of the oil industry and it will all be okay. Once this takes place people are usually jobless within months except for the guys at the top of the todem pole. I had a manager who would arrive late everyday and leave early everyday. He would over work only certain people in my group and give others lots of breaks. Definitely a "good ole boy mentality". When you do really good upper level management steals your ideas of sells them off as there own and when you do bad they take the biggest dump on you and blame you for everything. No sense of responsibility from upper level management. If a company is doing poorly why release the small guys? They are the ones working weekends and late nights to make the managers look good. Then at the end of the day they are the most disposable people. A lot of people are brain washed, highschool type clicks exists in the corporate world and at noble. If you are really good at kissing hind and brown nosing like a lot of people in my group were then you can move so high up in this company it's unreal. But for all you other people who actually have divinity and want a sense of envolvment in the future or a company or would like to be rewarded and reconginzed for your hard work then work somewhere else. Be very careful with the whole 9/80 schedule because if you work accounting or the finance side you will more than likely be working more than 4 hours on Fridays and possibly Saturday's.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Stop trying to do everything by the book because everyone else is doing so. As of now everyone else is also sinking with oil prices maybe you should change your approach. Learn how to appreciate the small working ants instead of the superiors. After all don't superiors receive a lot of their informations from a majority of the low salary grade workers? Big wage gap that should be better calculated. The BS that everyone plays an important role should not be a motivational booster that Fisher preaches at FINX it should be a fact and it should be practiced. Also it would be nice to see that the CEO actually exsist he is never around nor approachable. Fisher needs to loosen up too not everyone needs to be a cleaned shaven person just because you are. Also people fear you at the company but behind closed doors they have no respect for you maybe you should try and be a lot more approachable and genuinely caring towards others. Perhaps Fisher and Stover will be seen one day actually swinging a hammer or stroking a brush at there events or habitat for humanity.

"HR Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great culture of work/life balance. Employees are valued and respected. Senior Leadership truly cares about our people.

Cons

The external market oil and gas environment is impacting Noble. It's been a tough few years.

Advice to Management

Keep motivating and communicating with the workforce during these tough times.

"Geologist"

Former Employee - Geologist II New Ventures in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geologist II New Ventures in Houston, TX

Pros

Actively drilling in low oil prices.

Cons

Saved management and let go the interpreters

Advice to Management

Get a solid plan and stay with it.