Noble Network of Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.4
Michael Milkie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Noble provides the environment where both students and staff see the results of their hard work (in 7 reviews)

• Students are very respectful and hard-working (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Passionate, Driven and Motivated towards One Day"

Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a positive energy at the Noble Schools. I walk into work with a smile everyday. Teachers do not become complacent and always strive to get better. Administration is on your side and supports your decisions if they benefit the school. Students are held accountable for their actions. Clear, consistent consequences allow you to teach your whole lesson. Discipline is at the foundation of a Noble education.

Cons

These are not magnet schools. Our students come to us several years behind their affluent counterparts. You will have to work hard to overcome the achievement gap.

Advice to Management

Stop into classrooms periodically and teach a lesson or two on topics you are passionate about. Allow teachers to observe your feedback in action.

May 18, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience at Noble! We appreciate your feedback.

2. "Community Affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work: high impact work, high achievement, high value for autonomy and results

Cons

work life balance can be difficult at times

3. "David Speer Academy"

Current Employee - Elective Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Elective Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Great student culture is great

Cons

Pay is low per hours of work

4. "Choir Director and Piano Instructor for ~200 beginning music students."

Current Employee - Music Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Music Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

The teachers and administration are dedicated to serious change in their students. They are also very supportive of our choices in curriculum and take suggestions on school discipline.

Cons

We do a lot of standardized testing.

Jun 13, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience so far.

5. "Positive and rewarding environment!"

Current Employee - Chemistry Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chemistry Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My school is a positive environment that sets teachers and students up for success.

Cons

It is a lot of work, but really rewarding!

Jun 13, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for putting in the hard work! We're happy to hear that the work is rewarding for you and hope it is for all of our employees.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

As opposed to many under-resourced Chicago Public Schools (where I have also worked) Noble supplies the materials necessary to educate students. There is ample technology are resources (the school provides lap tops to employees, there are projectors and document cameras in every classroom, Chromebook carts, unlimited copies where the school buys the paper and the copiers are usually working.) The harsh discipline system ensures teachers can deliver lessons uninterrupted by fights or children talking over the teacher. The buildings are safe and there is support staff (paraprofessionals, office staff, many deans and assistant principals, etc.)

Cons

Noble teachers are payed far below teachers in traditional Chicago Public Schools and there is no pay scale or policy in place for staff to ask for or receive raises meaning every employee is on his or her own to schedule a meeting with their principal and ask for a raise. Last year staff did not even receive a cost of living wage. Staff are overworked and have exceedingly high performance expectations linked to student test scores. Many students fail and transfer rather than repeating a grade. Staff turnover is high and the wheel is reinvented often. Many staff find it impossible to balance being a parent with the demands of working at Noble and seek other employment when starting a family.

Advice to Management

Pay teachers and staff what they are worth and prioritize the whole child over test scores.

7. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Investment in kids and community.

Cons

Hard work is an understatement but totally worth it.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are allowed to be people, too. The OC does a great job at this.

Jun 13, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for the feedback!

8. "Be Noble = Be Accountable"

Current Employee - College Counselor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Straight forward employer, clear expectations and a culture of accountability.

Cons

Difficult student population, small number of male educators especially minority men.

Advice to Management

Continue to be student focused and recruit male, minority teaching/leadership talent.

"Passionate people committed to difficult work"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for Noble allows you to be surrounded by people who are passionate about teaching, about improving access to great education for all students in Chicago, and about helping change lives. Noble's mission isn't to create high school graduates but college graduates and the long-term and day-today decisions made by my fellow teachers and my administration is working toward that goal.

Cons

Teaching is not often a profession that allows for the mental "clocking out" that comes at the end of a long day. Teaching at Noble is no different.

Advice to Management

Continue to find new and innovates ways to support your teachers and staff, like you already do!

10. "I get paid to do work that I LOVE."

Current Employee - College Counselor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Autonomy in the classroom, collaborative work environment, teacher coaching, data driven results, focus on culture and discipline, and amazing human beings dedicated to social change through great work grounded in college preparation.

Cons

It is a longer school day than most schools but the time in front of kids helps close the achievement gap with our students' counterparts.