Noble Network of Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Michael Milkie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Noble provides the environment where both students and staff see the results of their hard work (in 7 reviews)

• Students are very respectful and hard-working (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Passionate, Driven and Motivated towards One Day"

Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a positive energy at the Noble Schools. I walk into work with a smile everyday. Teachers do not become complacent and always strive to get better. Administration is on your side and supports your decisions if they benefit the school. Students are held accountable for their actions. Clear, consistent consequences allow you to teach your whole lesson. Discipline is at the foundation of a Noble education.

Cons

These are not magnet schools. Our students come to us several years behind their affluent counterparts. You will have to work hard to overcome the achievement gap.

Advice to Management

Stop into classrooms periodically and teach a lesson or two on topics you are passionate about. Allow teachers to observe your feedback in action.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Response

May 18, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience at Noble! We appreciate your feedback.

2. "At Noble, everyone works hard for a cause and comes together when you need help."

Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Noble is the high level of collaboration, not just within my school, but amongst all the campuses. Every quarter, you get to come together with all the other campuses to share strategies and brainstorm together. You really feel like you are a part of a team with a common mission to get more Chicago students to graduate from college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I have loved my time at Noble. Yes, you put in A LOT of work, but it is all worth it.

3. "Incredible Culture, Outstanding People, and Great Mission."

Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL

Pros

One of the most progressive, successful charter school networks in the country. Great school culture where everyone works hard and succeeds.

Cons

We put in a lot of work for our students' success - that comes with any teaching position.

"A NOBLE Engagement of Our Children's Future"

Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Superb culture. Discipline issues are minimal or non-existent. Teaching is actually going on! Certain campuses have you engaged full throttle, with a Powerpoint and the expectation for you to teach the lesson in the teacher's absence. Other campuses have busy work for the students or pertinent videos/movies for them to watch.
    Most of the principals are VERY welcoming and will learn your name quickly if you are there frequently. I only encountered one principal in Englewood, who would barely acknowledge your presence or barely speak to you when spoken to.
    The number of students going off to college at many of the campuses are 100%.

Cons

Multiple people might contact you daily. The system needs to be centralized. Currently it is not. There is no way for one campus to be aware that you are working at another campus.

"Committed to kids and staff"

Pros

Committed to providing kids with the best education possible, challenges and focuses on personal development of staff members

Cons

High stakes work means long work days, but it's worth it

6. "School culture that propels student achievement and promotes a focus on learning."

Pros

School environment and culture is student and teacher focused which allows for teachers to teach and students to learn. Students and teachers treat one another with respect and as adults allowing for a calm and supportive school and work environment for all.

Cons

Student achievement can be path changing for our students so there's a really strong focus on data and student progress that can feel stressful at times, but ultimately meaningful once graduation rolls around.

"Students and Colleagues on a Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's refreshing to be surrounded by so many committed people who know they are engaged in important, meaningful work. Administrators, staff members, students and families believe that they're working toward a common goal. Students genuinely do leave their schools with the academic and personal skills to succeed in college and their careers.

Cons

Everyone has high expectations for themselves and for each other. It's a challenge to carve out time for yourself.

"Great place to work, high expectations for others and self"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by hard working individuals who want what is best for students. Very supportive administration. Rewarded for excellent results in both recognition and compensation.

Cons

Teaching is a difficult job to begin with. At Noble, they have a very intense focus on students, which is great but also challenging for a teacher to balance work and life.

"Amazing schools that are changing the landscape of education in Chicago"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at a Noble campus means you are surrounded by dedicated, driven educators that are passionate about realizing education reform in Chicago. Teachers and support staff are offered quality professional development opportunities, and are eligible for performance bonuses. Working for such a results-oriented organization is refreshing and uplifting. Seeing so many great people engaged in this work gives me hope for education in Chicago.

Cons

All students and faculty are held to high expectations, which can sometimes mean it is difficult to find a work/life balance. However, the rewards of working for a high-performing school outweigh the stresses.

"Focused urban school district employing hard-working young professionals"

Current Employee - Teacher (English)
    Current Employee - Teacher (English)

Pros

I really love working with and for people that highly intelligent and committed. It makes for a really positive work environment. We're also within a certain age range so it's pretty social. There's a good deal of autonomy, and the encouragement to constantly be learning. Additionally, there's a lot more instructional support than you typically get a public schools. The benefits are great, and I generally feel very respected as an individual and as a teacher.

Cons

There's an extremely high level of accountability, and an expectation that "above and beyond" is par for the course. There's also a good deal of turnover, (many reasons for this, including reasons specific to Noble as well as the fact that teaching itself is a high turnover profession and the age range of people that work here is young, people that move around alot, etc.). However, the turnover itself can make it more difficult, because you feel like you have to reinvent the wheel every year, to a certain extent.

Advice to Management

I think they do a great job. I'm really happy with the leadership of my school and the leadership of the network. I don't love the corporate feel, and I definitely wish they would align some of the uniform/culture expectations with the 21st century...but overall, I'm happy with the direction they generally take things.