Noble Network of Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Michael Milkie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Noble provides the environment where both students and staff see the results of their hard work (in 7 reviews)

• Students are very respectful and hard-working (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Passionate, Driven and Motivated towards One Day"

Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a positive energy at the Noble Schools. I walk into work with a smile everyday. Teachers do not become complacent and always strive to get better. Administration is on your side and supports your decisions if they benefit the school. Students are held accountable for their actions. Clear, consistent consequences allow you to teach your whole lesson. Discipline is at the foundation of a Noble education.

Cons

These are not magnet schools. Our students come to us several years behind their affluent counterparts. You will have to work hard to overcome the achievement gap.

Advice to Management

Stop into classrooms periodically and teach a lesson or two on topics you are passionate about. Allow teachers to observe your feedback in action.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Response

May 18, 2017 – Director of Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience at Noble! We appreciate your feedback.

2. "Noble Street"

Current Employee - College Counselor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - College Counselor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My campus principal highly supports our staff and understands that, in order to do our best work, we need to be happy as people. She endorses days off, teachers having flexible schedules to accommodate family needs, and has gone above and beyond to know her staff.

Cons

The workload is intense, and, while my principal is flexible, not every campus manager is as understanding. Many campuses have high turnover and young staffs, which is not great for students.

Advice to Management

Work to improve salaries and do a better job of ensuring that principals are treating their workers well.

3. "Best Southside Campus!"

Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Our fearless, unapologetic, southern, leading Principal. The leadership team. My Dean of Instruction. My kicks*** coworkers. I love the autonomy, the new salary schedule, bonuses.... we just had our staff christmas party, with an extreme amount of fellowshipping.. I mean... I love working here. I feel so lucky to work here. I love the level of excellence that is required and how we are actually held accountable for our actions in and outside of the classroom. And last but not least, I love these kids! This is the happiest I have been in my career so far.

Don't want to seem like it's all cherries and roses. Please believe, it's not easy. I spend a lot of time at work; it's not an easy job. It's hard being as excellent as we are. You have to put the hours in, be organized, and really be passionate about the work you are doing. Otherwise, you won't succeed. There are lots of people there to support you if you need it but you must be vocal when you need support, otherwise, you could crash and burn.

Best believe, we have fun at our campus and support each other in all that we do. But we also work hard as heck!!!

Cons

We need more substitute teachers. I wish that the salary schedule also took into account education. :-/

4. "Social Worker"

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The system works. The programs truly are transforming the lives of students living in the inner city.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant. It is quite clicky and the very young faculty have too much power and can lack judgement.

Advice to Management

Hold all faculty accountable to high behavioral standards rather than overlook poor judgement based on people being in the inner circle. If you do the right thing rather than give into nepotism you'll create a culture based on integrity.

5. "Good Intentions, Bad Execution"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I met some of my greatest friends and some of the most passionate people to teach with.
    -Unlimited resources for students and teachers.
    -Strongly data-driven, forces to you to continually reflect on your practices as a teacher.

Cons

-Principals have little empathy for teachers. You will receive "dings" or "mulligans" for coming into a meeting late or minor mistakes with gradebook which go against your bonus, but campus level management has no real accountability.
    -Kids treated as numbers and metrics, not as real people.
    -Discipline system is largely a response to one teacher's bad experience teaching in Chicago Public Schools.
    -If you're a member of organizing in UNE, good luck. I was targeted multiple times by admin and held accountable for things no one else on my campus was. So be prepared for that backlash when it comes.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the Network level management (not Milkie). They actually have a good grasp of the complexity of the work. Troupis actually does know what he is doing, Principals should listen to him.

6. "IT Lead"

Current Employee - Information Technology Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Information Technology Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexibility, Training, Great Team, Great Leadership, Opportunities for growth, Professional Development, serving inner-city young people and seeing them grow above and beyond their wildest dreams while you get to do the same.

Cons

If you consider giving your all being and pushed for something greater than yourself a con then Noble is not for you. Work life balance can be a challenge, especially during summer months when we prepare technology for the upcoming year, but we live on four core values, Work Hard/Smart, Communicate, Be Kind, Be Honest. It took me too long to understand the concepts of taking care of myself so I encourage my team to be open and transparent and not be a silent hero. Silent heroes drown.

Advice to Management

Noble is in the middle of a great and positive transition to diversify our work place from executive leadership to instructional leaders across every facet of our organization. Advice to management, inclusive to being in management, is to continue growing a business heart to listen to those that serve under our guise, bridge equity, professional development, fun, diplomacy, leadership, and be a continued voice for school choice.

7. "Spanish Instructor"

Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are smart and motivated. The work you produce, and hence the work produced by students, is held to a very high standard so that even if you are doggedly tired you will still feel proud of the work you did. For the students who thrive with structure you will see them truly reach their potential.

Cons

Culture issues can arise with the strict discipline (on the student AND employee side - i.e. mulligans for being 1 min late to a meeting) if they are not paired with the necessary amount of positive reinforcement and recognition. At my campus we had leadership turnover, which was quite painful and bad for culture. Unfortunately some of our deans of instruction also thought scripting lessons was an effective intervention for a new teacher - leading to increased overwhelm in an already demanding job. Also, your experience is heavily dependent on your team, as collaboration and lesson sharing tends to be mandatory. So, if your styles clash it can be a bit painful.

Advice to Management

Allow for a spectrum of collaboration - some might want to have the option to share plans for some lessons and not on others, some might want to share all lesson plans. It's important that employees are trusted and given the liberty to determine their working style. In my experience my teaching partner did not like the creative lessons I planned, and I did not like the more traditional lessons she planned.

8. "Teacher"

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Autonomy in the classroom. No contract. Work with very driven and inspiring people.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations given lack of resources. You will be expected to wear multiple hats and work far over 40 hours a week, especially in your first year or two.

Advice to Management

Provide more training and support for teachers. Value and give incentives in order to retain staff. Noble can't serve its students to the highest caliber when the turnover rate is this high.

9. "No Work Life Balance; Children Are Just Numbers"

Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses
    Coworkers
    Opportunities for advancement (because of high turnover)

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance.
    Class sizes of 40+ students
    No coteachers for months
    Disrespectful Administration
    Unrealistic Goals
    Over-testing of Students
    Forced to Teach to the Test
    Racist Discipline System (Prison to Pipeline)
    High Turn Over

Advice to Management

Actually value the students you have at your schools. They are more than the data that gets you money. In addition, give teachers a manageable workload and the support needed to achieve the goals you want them to. Slim down your class sizes, get rid of racist discipline policies, and respect your staff members.

"Pipeline to prison"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are resilient and so insightful if you work with them, not always punish them!

Cons

The view that low income and minority kids needs to be trained/disciplined in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

Care about whole child and not just punishment.