Nobu Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 7, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Barry Hillman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "GREAT PAY, meet very established individuals and prominent societal figures" (in 5 reviews)

• "Full time with plenty of opportunity to work extra shifts" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, constant change of schedule" (in 3 reviews)

• "Requires hard work at all times" (in 2 reviews)

"Nobu is a solid company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Nobu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, free employee meals before service, great camraderie, unlike many other restaurants, amazing clientele

Cons

Sometimes can be tough hours

Advice to Management

Training is very thorough and prepares one for the rigorous environment of Nobu. My only suggestion is to assign a personal mentor that has experience in the company to new employees so that they have a trusted confidant to share their struggles and learn from them without fear of judgment. Nobu invests a lot in its employees which is greatly appreciated in terms of money, 401k and health benefits, but because we are in the hospitality industry, the human connection is most important because our primary goal is to create an amazing connection with our guests. The connection between employees, in my opinion, needs to be top notch in order to translate that experience to the guests.

2. "Bartender"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in New York, NY

I worked at Nobu full-time

Pros

I worked at Nobu 57 for 4 months and I learned a lot and really enjoyed training and working upstairs in the restaurant. They were all very professional and knowledgeable.

If you got thick skin, have the time and money to wait to be 100%this is the place for you.

Cons

Tip system is unlike any other restaurant.

Advice to Management

Try testing your staff with food and drink knowledge and judge what percentage they should be getting before training new staff members.

One of the managers questioned how I still dont have the drinks down when ive only worked 4 night shifts (Even thought I know all my foods). A lot of the times trainers will stop me to remake the drinks bc im making it incorrectly, but when I tell them its in the manual they scoff in your face and make u remake the drink (specialty or classics) . And tell management that youre a know it all. My advice is ... to test your staff.

I asked a senior cocktail server what the garnish was for a specialty cocktail and her response was, "Sometimes its a orange chip and sometimes its 3 black berries." Trainers and senior staff harshly train and judge their trainees meanwhile... They dont even apply anything to themselves while withholding tips from trainees.

Food runners, hosts and barbacks should also get a say in tip increase. From what Ive seen and heard they want to hold your tips back regardless of performance, table maintenance, sales, customer feed back , etc. more than anything they want you to serve time as they did.

Also I would ask all the food runners how the table maintenance for each cocktail waitress/waitors tables are.

3. "Not enjoyable"

Pros

- Money was good
    - Guaranteed Hours

Cons

- Strict
    - Managers have power trip
    - Long training process
    - Mental abuse

4. "Intense"

Former Employee - Server in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nobu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits. Strong and competent staff to work with and learn from

Cons

Room for growth, favoritism amongst management .

"Nobu looks good on a resumé. That is all it looks good on."

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nobu (More than a year)

Pros

You don't need to be professionally certified in anything to work in the corporate offices. Loyalty and serious lack of relevant skills will get you far, as it has benefited plenty of staffers. If it is your birthday, you get a cake that you can share with your coworkers which is thoughtful, but after 10 minutes you are whisked away to your lovely uncomfortable chair and your Microsoft 2011 software!

Cons

I am only issuing a one star overall rating because it is the minimum which allows me to post this review.

I work at the corporate offices, and anyone who thinks that this is a good place to work is either culturally or socially inept [or lacks serious skills of discernment.] The only positive thing about working here is having enough free time to look for other types of employment.

If you are a full-time employee [non management], you cannot work from home in the event of snowstorm; or other related event - which has proven to be financially unstable. There are some hourly employees who are able to work from home, but that is because their managers are lazy and lack policy guidelines. Receiving inconsistent weekly paychecks means nothing if it is always changing.
    The pay rate is well below what the marketplace is offering, which is more disrespectful than the actual tasks that need to be performed.

Family meal is nothing but scraps of food that are put together, but is somewhat necessary because you don't make enough money to actually buy food.

There is a serious lack of vision from management which results in working with people who aren't inspired.

Advice to Management

Advice implies that the authoritative power is willing to listen which is untrue in this case. You can be replaced by anyone who is certified to take your spot. Be humble and innovate. There is no reason why HR is threatening employees with termination if someone is suspected of stealing toilet paper from the bathrooms. Pay your employees more!

"Last resort job"

Former Employee - Hostess in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hostess in New York, NY

I worked at Nobu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool seeing celebrities come in from time to time, GREAT tips during the winter, and decent coworkers

Cons

- micro managing
    -sexist: hostesses must wear heels and short/tight dress at all times
    -NO BREAK ROOM. you are expected to exit the building and eat your lunch elsewhere, there is no way to heat up your food bc you are not allowed to use the microwave
    -family meal: this is literally scraps of food they want to get rid of in the kitchen, very rarely do they serve employees anything remotely close to what they serve to the customers (besides white rice)
    -pay is not worth the labor without tips
    -no share in tip pool
    -no set schedules
    -rich customers allowed to do whatever they want and managers/owners will always jump through hoops to accommodate no matter how detrimental or inconvenient their request is

Advice to Management

-treat your employees better and you will notice better service to customers.
    -it only took me 5 weeks of employment to start looking for new jobs!

"Nobu Guest Services"

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Nobu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It can be a good pay

Cons

Work you like a slave
    Employees curse like a natural language especially management
    Very poor management
    Racist-one of the girl that is African American got in trouble by letting hair natural hair down.
    Most of employees are not happy.
    Negative work environment

Advice to Management

Management sucks. They work you like a slave and don’t know your worth. One single mistake that can be fixed will lead to termination. I witnessed two resigned in 2 weeks because of misinformed. Poor management. Management needs the most training to better themselves. Sloppy and work environment.

8. "2 years at nobu"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nobu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company
    Great growth potential
    organized and established

Cons

low paying
    long hours
    very political in the upper management.

Advice to Management

None

"Happy and Mad"

Current Employee - Host in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Host in New York, NY

I have been working at Nobu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT PAY, meet very established individuals and prominent societal figures

Cons

Management is beyond unprofessional when dealing the employee complaints

Advice to Management

You need to respect your employees, and give them equal respect you give your cliental

10. "Reservationist - New York City"

I worked at Nobu part-time

Pros

-It can be a fun and exciting experience if you know what you're doing.
    -You get a lot of gifts from clients during the holidays!
    -Good pay in comparison to other Reservationist positions in the city.
    -There's absolutely opportunity for growth if you prove yourself as an asset to the team/company.
    -Lovely work environment as you're working alongside great people.
    -Company offers 401k and benefits

Cons

-High phone volume so if you're not experienced can feel like you're in over your head.
    -Whenever opening new locations company occasionally uses NYC Reservations to start which can feel ridiculous at times when it seems like there's already enough going on within the department. But again, only occasionally.