Nokia Reviews | Glassdoor

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri
Rajeev Suri

4,780 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is an issue if you work for Operations Team(NOC) (in 69 reviews)

• Sometimes many people get involved in decision making; slowing down the process (in 107 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Logistics Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Account Logistics Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An ethical company with superb benefits. This company has terrific in-house growth opportunities, and I would recommend Nokia to anyone.

Cons

It is an ever-changing international company.

"Nokia is an awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - User Interface Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nokia has a great environment to work in. Almost everyone I work with is friendly and professional, and UI Design and Usability has a high importance in the company, so unlike other companies, I am able to just do my job without having to fight politics and SW deadlines to push the better user experience. Since we're a global company (headquartered in Finland), there are lots of opportunities to travel internationally. This also means that we have employees here in San Diego from all over the world, so you get to learn about a lot of different cultures, which I think helps with the fact that there is very little discrimination in regards to gender, age, race, etc. And I'm a FEMALE saying this! Bonuses can be quite large, and few companies can really beat the benefits package offered here in regards to 401K (matches 8%), healthcare (PPO for very little), as well as vacation time (2 weeks to start plus 2 days for every year your with the company). Other than "crunch time", 40 hours a week really means 40 hours a week. And, you get to play with all kinds of cool phones up to a year before they hit the market.

Cons

Well, working for a mobile phone company in general, means that there is a very, very long development cycle for products. Its usually more than a year from the time you start working on the software until it actually hits stores. And because of that, Nokia seems to be lagging behind others in the areas of innovation. As far as salary goes, the number isn't as high as it is at other companies, and raises are usually pretty small. I feel like that isn't as important as the benefits package, but not everyone feels that way. If you're looking for a high-paying salary, you won't find it here

Advice to Management

I have a lot of confidence in the management in San Diego. It's hard to have as much confidence in the management above that, since they aren't people I've ever met or have much contact with. I feel like the company is moving in the right direction, I just sometimes wish it would move a little faster to keep up with our competition.

"Nokia, a great place to work but it can be frustrating at times."

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Nokia is clearly the market leader globally in mobile communications. Its move to transform into a services company is managemenst anticipation of the market. In many markets around the world it is the No 1 brand and market leader.

Cons

Nokia is sometimes slow to respond to competitors, but when it does it quickly overtakes them. In the North American market where the mobile operators control the value chain and technology is fragmented, Nokia is not as strong as it is in other markets. A lot of the management positions are held by Finns or are based in Helsinki which limits career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Nokia need to put more attention to the upcoming USA competitor offerings from Apple, Google, Rimm

5. "Kick ass at Nokia if you LOVE what you do!"

Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Irving, TX

Pros

Really intelligent and knowledgeable people, amazing focus on strategy, challenging work, and an open environment for wild and passionate ideas. Surprisingly for an organization that is so huge, it is very agile and always changing. You are never bored. There is also a very significant mac community that has their own forum and mailing list to chat about aspects of Apple support, tips and tricks.

Cons

You can feel like a tiny speck in an ocean at times. It can be frustrating when you realize some processes are in place for the sake of process and measurement and not for optimal or quick outcome.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a test or other metrics to show where bottlenecks are in the organization.

6. "Go Nokia!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Nokia is all about mobility - to me it translates to life balance, using mobile communication to improve our communications and ability to connect in our professional lives as well as with our loved ones. Nokia's roots come from Finland and touch nature and environmental values and there is a genuine feeling inside the company to give (to the consumers and society). It is one unique workplace to be at.

Cons

Nokia is a very large public company with 100k plus employees with all the processes and rules and bureaucracy you dont have in a small company, also networking with the Finnish people requires understanding of the European/Scandinavian culture and it's goods and bads

Advice to Management

Nokia should spend much more in marketing in North America and increase awareness of ecological use of mobile devices and internet connectivity of Nokia products, Nokia is currently losing market share also due to too high prices of their products (euro is too strong?) which would need to translate into better deals for American consumers at some point

"Great work/life balance and global opportunities"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great work/life balance, open corporate culture and communication, exciting products and global career opportunities.

Cons

Can have heavy travel requirements - frequent trips to Europe and possibly Asia, depending on position. Nokia's products remain very weak in the US and the company continues to spin its wheels in this market.

Advice to Management

Figure out the U.S. market and focus on innovation instead of relying only on scale.

"Excellent Company to work for with work-life balance as focus"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

It is a family-oriented job so you can take time off while your professional career can still progress.

Cons

Career advancement is limited. There is quite a bit of people working at Nokia for a long time and wouldn't step down.

Advice to Management

Transparency is needed. Management should listen to people down below more clearly and adjust.

"Nokia review..."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nokia has a great work-life balance; Nokia's employees are diverse, friendly and always willing to help; Nokia provides fair compensation and excellent benefits; The location and weather in San Diego is hard to beat; It is assuring to know you are working for the top cell phone maker in the world.

Cons

The main issue seems to be that our product always seems to be a step behind the competition. For example, we are only now putting out flip, slide and full qwerty phones, while everyone else has moved on to touch screen technology. By the time our touch screen product is out, the competition will have moved on to the next bigger and better thing.

Advice to Management

We must do what we can to be leaders with our product instead of followers.

10. "Only thing missing is growth"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

benefits and compensation good working environment trainnings etc

Cons

growth opportunities are not good

Advice to Management

there should be some growth pattern

"Great place to work and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

This Business Unit offers great opportunities to grow and advance within the organization. They do recognize a work/life balance and encourage employees to shut down from work and enjoy your life. Management encouraged eduction in both professional areas and in personal interest. Once you were in a career path, you weren't forced to stay there. Anyone could decide to expand themselves thru a career change.

Senior Management had an open door policy. This wasn't lip service, you really could just drop by and speak with the General Manager of the Unit. How often can you say that about a place you worked?

Cons

When people hear the name Nokia, they first think of cell phones or mobility. Few know that Nokia has the most secure Firewall and provide other products such as Intrusion Prevention Systems. Name branding was strong on mobility and very weak on Network Security.

Everything had to be decussed to death. The Finnish model of Management enforced the practice of agreement. Sometimes, it is very hard to obtain and even harder when personalities or egos get in the way. On occassion, it would have been good to take action and then work thru the committee.

These are the only two things I can think of as negatives.

Advice to Management

None, It is a very good place to work. It was an AMAZING place to work.

Showing 4,780 of 5,015 reviews