Nokia Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Nokia San Diego Reviews

Updated January 28, 2017

San Diego, CA Area

Pros
Cons
  • hard to maintain work-life balance due tue the seasonalities of my job (in 68 reviews)

• Sometimes many people get involved in decision making; slowing down the process (in 105 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got good resignation package! Also I enjoyed 6 month grace period when I was laid off.
    Work style was excellent. After 5pm, office was almost empty. Long summer holiday, longer than 2 wk is possible. I love company culture. Salary was relatively low.

Cons

Many silos in department and even individual level! Typical European company. Company-level strategy changed frequently, and it led many lay-offs. People looked lazy relatively to me :-)

Advice to Management

No strategy. It has changed very often.

2. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - R&D in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - R&D in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Consumer and quality focus in product development. Open, informal and positive atmosphere with low political undercurrent. Treats employees well, fair compensation.

Cons

Not enough feeling of urgency in regard to innovation and competitiveness. Can be difficult to influence decision-making for all sites outside of HQ.

Advice to Management

More full integration of sites in decision-making, corporate strategy

3. "Great company to work for. They treat you well with good benefits, fair pay and company culture."

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Titles don't mean a thing. You are free to challenge management. Very little company politics, at least from middle management on down. Excellent work/life balance and company values.

Cons

Difficult to move up the ladder unless you are willing to move to Finland. Many midnight phone calls.

Advice to Management

Senior mgmt. was clueless under Elop, so hopefully without him (now with MSFT) Nokia will once again regain their 'Sisu' under Suri.

5. "Great Experience at Nokia"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked more than two years for Nokia and I can tell it was the best years of my careers. The environment, people and job itself was fantastic. Great people, great projects

Cons

I think the company was suffering of the poor management at the higher level who were planning about future products for the company.

6. "Easy work load, too many bad managers"

Current Employee - Circuit Design in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Circuit Design in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nokia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great palce if you want to spend a lot of time with your family or you are doing something on the side.

Cons

Not very challenging work. Very unorganized, you are spending a lot of time fighting the same issues over and over again.

Advice to Management

Get rid of them and start over.

7. "Low pressure work environment."

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice for work - life balance

Cons

work - life balance has its downsides...too expensive to keep people.

Advice to Management

Hold both your managees and managers accountable.

8. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, great people, teams working together during crunch time, awesome facility, felt like a family

Cons

Strategy from the top is suspect, leadership stays in Finland so it's hard to get high ranking positions, seems the top management never gets removed when results aren't there

9. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very casual atmosphere, no sense of hierarchy. Very easy to work with everyone. Working within own team was rewarding. Good benefits, especially 401(k) match.

Cons

Pay was not the greatest, upper management at time totally clueless and made some very bad decisions that ultimately drove the devices business to Microsoft and massive lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

10. "Excellent place to work but poor strategic decision making by senior management"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment with very bright and talented colleagues. Exciting industry making tangible products that you can later see advertised on TV and in the hands of consumers.

Cons

Senior management made a series of poor strategic decisions like adopting touch screen Smartphones too late, launching a true Smartphone OS years after competitors, and then betting exclusively on Windows Phone instead of implementing a more risk diverse approach like Samsung and others by supporting Android and WP concurrently. The result is known and after Microsoft bought what remained of the device units of Nokia, they decided to lay off 18k employees and dismantle what once was a thriving Finish cell phone maker.

Advice to Management

Try to avoid strategic myopia, i.e. get blinded by past success. Be more sensitive to weak signals in the market that represent opportunities and threats to the company. Find ways to make Windows Phone more sexy and create greater consumer appeal. Everyone wants the iPhone 6. It's sold out everywhere, even though the technology they bring is nothing new compared to recent Samsung products for example. How can Windows Phone become more desirable, like Nokia once was? How can you win back the coolness factor?

11. "Great company, leadership just didn't have the right vision"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nokia seemed to have the best intentions for their employees. Good work/life balance, great benefits, and a positive work environment.

Cons

Not really any cons other than when they were not keeping up in the smartphone era, continual cost cutting and squeezing of budgets really hurt the moral at times. Now, with the phone division sold to Microsoft, the rest of Nokia seems to be doing well.

Showing 104 of 4,914 reviews