Nokia Reviews in Tampere | Glassdoor

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri
Rajeev Suri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampere (Finland)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampere (Finland)

I have been working at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work envrironment and possibilities. Strong work ethics and values

Cons

Not very high Salary. Career development ...

2. "Review for Nokia (NMP)"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fine workmates, lots of different kind of tasks to do, ability to learn more.

Cons

Organizational structure and hierarchy spoiled too much.

Advice to Management

Nothing; I'm not paid for that :-)

3. "Workplace with many flexibilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Possibility to work part-time (80%)
    - Flexible work arrangements (Remote work, flexible times)
    - Good local team

Cons

- Too big company
    - Too much bureaucracy
    - Teams distributed to many sites, often in different time zones

Advice to Management

Keep projects local, output would be better and efficency higher

4. "Nokia before acquisition by Microsoft"

Former Employee - Software Engineer In Finland in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer In Finland in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I used to work for the mobile phone unit of Nokia in Finland. I worked for R&D as software engineer.

The #1 gain for working for Nokia was people I got to work with. They were intelligent, kind, reliable, funny, professional, determined and many other positive things. I keep contact with many of them after leaving the company many years ago and consider some close friends.

The #2 pro was the flexible and supporting organization Nokia used to have. It was easy to transfer from another project, and they tried to fill vacancies internally first. I would not say that career development opportunity was great (it wasn't) but if I wanted to transfer to another project at the same level, this was relatively easy.

#3 pro was the interesting and innovative projects they had. Nokia used to be very innovative and had an eye for future technologies and innovation. The old organization NRC (Nokia Research Center) was a good example of the innovative spirit. The company also strongly encouraged patent (IP) filings.

The rest are not in a particular order: great brand recognition, product visibility (my family and friends used a Nokia phone and talked about it), good training/development opportunities (they had a large number of internal courses and was also generous to offer language courses etc. for foreigners etc.), international career opportunities, sense of security of working for a large, international company .

Cons

The #1 con was the rapid decline of the organization that started in mid 2000, leading to the eventual acquisition of Nokia by Microsoft including the former's personnel. Reorganization and streamlining happened so often with the 'bad news' i.e. another round of lay-off. This demoralized everyone, and everyone was forced to look after him- or herself. Though the company did support internal recruitment, prioritizing these internal candidates under lay-off threat over any other candidates, the turmoil was very damaging to employees' moral and motivation.

I do think that such a decline can hit any IT company. But Nokia did not handle the difficult time well and it could have handled it much better.

#2 con was the increasing amount of ego and selfish pursuit of one's own goals and needs over the company's that started to become more visible in the early 2000. Nokia hired a great number of young still-in-college engineers during its rising time in late 90's. They were purely fascinated to work for Nokia because they wanted to create great products. They got to work on cutting-edge missions, traveled internationally, and wanted to become even more successful. Then, something happened: many of the engineers became more political, wanted to pursue their own successes and status even at the cost of the overall success of the company.

Nokia was practically only viable option for IT professionals who wanted international, "big" careers in Finland. I think that this created the sadly unique disadvantage that too many of the talented but ego-ridden IT professionals saw Nokia as their devise to achieve glory, success, status etc.

#3 con was lack of career progress opportunities. As above, I found it quite easy to get be involved in another interesting project in a similar than current role. However, if I wanted to go for a leadership-path (project managers, project leaders etc.), these coveted roles were generally passed onto someone the hiring manager already knew. If you were an engineer or software architect who wanted to go for that path, it seemed virtually closed for them.

The rest in not a particular order: not pushing people towards excellence but mediocracy, lack of great leadership, mediocre financial compensation, the HQ (Nokia House) is great, but many other offices were not inspiring

Advice to Management

I will leave this one empty, as there is no longer the same management as during my tenure.

5. "Nokia is solid and good employer"

Former Employee - Director, R&D in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Employee - Director, R&D in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Multicultural international working environment. Covers different high-tech businesses from B2B to consumer products.

Cons

Large corporation includes always to some extent layers in the organization and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Nokia Technologies is an interesting growth opportunity. Keep on and grow your investments into that.

6. "Nokia"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tampere (Finland)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tampere (Finland)

I have been working at Nokia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome working place, great people and great culture

Cons

Nokia keeps killing projects every year

Advice to Management

Be brave and risk more

7. "International"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

International environment. Fast phased and interesting projects. Lot of opportunities and good place to build your career. Bleeding edge technologies and methods in use.

Cons

Lot of organisation changes and lot of employee reductions. You never know when your project or organization will be ramped down.

8. "Nokia (now part of Microsoft) Engine Software Intern"

Former Intern - Engine Software in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Intern - Engine Software in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, chill working hours, very good support system; managers are very accessible and friendly and open to discuss just about anything.

Cons

Tasks can be mundane. I was there in the middle of the restructuring following Microsoft's acquisition, hence a lot of stuff were up in the air and the morale wasn't high.

Advice to Management

Needs clearer directions to the phone business and clearer roadmaps.

9. "Rollercoaster, plenty of highs and lows"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Tampere (Finland)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Tampere (Finland)

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Early yeas were great. Lot of opportunities for personal growth. Great people, great teams. I don't think I could have done what I have done in any other company.

Cons

Company lost it's identity, lots of really bad leaders and people doing things just for sake of doing something without adding value.

Advice to Management

None at the moment. Seems to be much better now when leadership has been changed completely.

10. "Over ten years experience"

I worked at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice new products always available.

Cons

Leaders didn't know how lead big orchestra

Advice to Management

Make flat organization

Showing 22 of 5,688 reviews