Nolan Transportation Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Nolan Transportation Group President Kevin Nolan
Kevin Nolan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is a work hard play hard environment so be prepared to work hard but know there is alot of fun involved in the between time" (in 13 reviews)

• "The positive work environment yields positive energy, making it easier and more fun to work" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life Balance wasn't the best required a lot of hours" (in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours and you'll have to work weekends to truly be successful at the company" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You can love what you do!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great-- I couldn't imagine spending 40+ hours a week with a better team
    Uncapped commission really allows you to make a lot of money, and after you move up to Sr Broker/VP of Sales you get fantastic base raises
    New Hire Incentives
    You can move up -- promotion from within is an everyday thing, not a myth. You can get larger bonuses, or pay raises, or move into a position you've been working towards
    Everyone tries to be as transparent as possible
    Training is a blast and a great foundation for success

Cons

Sometimes the logistics industry is stressful, things are out of your control

2. "Carrier Sales"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere, culture, leadership, pay. Leadership is always there for you. The pay potential is huge. Commission structure is competitive and fair.

Cons

Stressful. Really fast paced. Not much other than that.

Advice to Management

Not much to add

3. "Get out what you put in. Great opportunity to make $$"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Lots of resources at your disposal. Promote from within culture and a great way to make a lot of money straight out of school

Cons

Carriers can be hard to deal with at times

4. "Great Work Environment - Rewarding to Those Who Put in the Effort"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The positive work environment yields positive energy, making it easier and more fun to work. If you aren't wanting to work hard and be readily available to help deal with an issue, then this job isn't for you. But, if you are willing to come in every day and make as many phone calls as possible and be eager to learn from peers and leadership, then the sky is the limit. Leadership is very hands on and willing to help as long as effort is reciprocated.

Cons

If you aren't ready to work hard and are looking for a job where you can just do minimum work, this job isn't for you

5. "WORK HARD PLAY HARD- YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT IN!"

Current Employee - Rep in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Rep in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. very competitive and makes coming to work fun. Great leaders and a great team environment overall

Cons

this job could not get better

Advice to Management

keep being great!

6. "Great Environment To Work"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere and energy in the office is great. There is never a dull moment and there are really solid people throughout every office at NTG. Truly a "get out what you put in" environment with room to grow within the company. Every day will be different and you aren't angry about coming in to the office.

Cons

Can be stressful and expectations are high. Not a place to sit back or hide.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun office environment (music/televisions). No dress code (which can be both beneficial and hurtful).

Cons

Starting off, management treats you like you're the next big thing. They butter you up. They promise you big things. I started off solid, moving freight consistently, hitting bonus. I felt like I was headed to SR BROKER (Whose going to be the next Sr Broker?!). Dear lord that line was annoying. A few months later I started slipping, and lost a few accounts, because that's what happens in sales. There's ups and downs. Sometimes you fall off the horse, and instead of management believing in you, and encouraging you to get back up, they start a slow, cruel process of letting you go. It's really unfortunate. I was treated differently that other brokers by management. It sucked. I dreaded going to work my last few months. And Kevin Nolan? I never met Kevin Nolan once. Never once did he make a trip to Detroit. Solid leadership, Kev. NTG is like this, if you're moving freight and making margins, you're a god. But if you're struggling a specific month, and nothing seems to go your way, you're treated like a nobody. It's a toxic work environment. Unless you can land a few big accounts this job is nothing more that a constant ball of stress that takes over your life. Issues all the time, both during the night, weekends. If you like a job with crazy turnover, this is 100% for you.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is lead the same way. I had a team leads who constantly pressured me in the office. Guess what, not everyone is led by intimidation and constant pushiness. You have to adapt to your employees. Find out what works best for them. How are they led best? Because if you can find that out, there's a whole lot better of a chance for them to be successful.

8. "Great experience all around."

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Great people. Easy to get along with!

Cons

Vending machines I would say..other than that pretty great!

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A lot of great people work here.
    -Can wear whatever you like.
    -Can build great relationships with your customers.

Cons

I left NTG because it has completely changed from what it used to be.
    -Micromanagement is the only management.
    -If you aren't on the phone you will be asked why you aren't on the phone, despite what you are working on.
    -Have to make an insane amount of phones calls each day (depends on your book of business, 120+ for new hires). Mostly talking to voicemails, or recycled leads that already told your coworker they weren't interested earlier that day. Literally everyone calls the same companies.
    -Pay structure has completely changed, and it is definitely not worth the stress - and it is very high stress. Not only the industry, but majority the pressure put on you by management.
    -Pay cuts are made for "resources" that you will never see.
    -There is absolutely no control. Things go wrong all the time - with carriers and customers.
    -This company is driven by greed. Looking out for those at the very top and not its employees.
    -Depending on your customers/carriers, you may be working a lot of after hours & weekends.
    -It is the good ol' boy clubs. And if you don't give in to the frat house mentality, you will be shunned.
    -If you aren't 10+ minutes early, you are late. Don't even think about leaving at 5pm.
    -No one is happy anymore. I made it a point to ask every single broker in our office if they were happy before I made my decision to leave - No all around.
    -Always on edge in the office, management is looking for reasons you call you out or write you up. A lot of the managers (including GMs, Team Leaders, VP, Regional GMs) are following orders and most are just awful managers.
    -High turnover.
    -Managers will call you during lunch to ask where you are. And will call you after hours if you forgot to send them your "top 5 best conversations" for that day or whatever other meaningless task that is a complete waste of time.
    -I remember when I was asked to write a positive review on Glassdoor by NTG.

I could go on for hours, but this company has already consumed way too much of my time. This company is not worth the stress you will endure. Sure, they will hire anybody straight out of college, but this is not where you want to start your career.

Advice to Management

-Take better care of your veteran employees.
    -Customers are built off relationships. You can't threaten to give someones accounts to someone else because they only made 99 out of 100 phone calls between all of the actual work problems going on throughout the day.
    -Threatening to fire employees at the beginning of each month if they don't hit X isn't motivation.

Nolan Transportation Group Response

Sep 13, 2018 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. NTG prides itself on our collaborative, energetic work environment across our offices nationwide. The Transportation industry is a fast-paced environment and, just like... More

10. "National Account Manager"

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, casual work environment, lives by the motto: "work hard, play hard"

Great training "experience" (I wouldn't refer to it as a program because it was more of an experience. )

Cons

Not many, but if you don't like making over 100 cold calls a day and getting the hung-up on or yelled at over the phone. Then this is not the job for you. Also, they have a good work-life balance, but its basically a 24 hour job with tracking your shipments.