Nolan Transportation Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Nolan

Pros
  • NTG embodies a work hard/play hard environment that not only builds a team of co-workers, but joins a group of friends (in 12 reviews)

• The work environment is incredible (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "Outstanding Culture with Unlimited Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

First, the culture is second to none. The environment is the farthest from a stuffy office as you could imagine. The energy and excitement in each office keeps me coming back every day. The growth at NTG is unbelievable. Being one of the top growing companies in the US and the fastest growing logistics company allow for plenty of opportunity for rapid growth. The company almost exclusively promotes from within. In 4 years I have been able to move up through several levels of management. This would not be possible if the company wasn't growing the way it is and empowering each person to take on leadership roles the way they do. The sky is limit for each person at NTG.

Cons

The logistics industry is tough. Read reviews for any 3PL and you will see the same themes again and again. It is a fast-paced, high octane environment. It is NOT for everyone. The trucking industry is truly the wild west. Logistics professionals have to balance relationships between truck driving professionals and corporate leaders - which can be difficult and often straining. However, for those who can handle the stress, pace and environment the opportunity is absolutely limitless.

Advice to Management

Continue to teach, empower and push your teams to reach new heights.

2. "If you work hard you will be successful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, casual attire, team atmosphere, incentives, upward mobility/promote from within, open door policy, team building, great training

Cons

You can't hide here. There is pressure to hit goals and if you aren't working hard it's noticed. Industry can be stressful too.

3. "Great company, even better people!"

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NTG has a company culture that can't be matched. The open office environment and energetic atmosphere breeds a collaborative, hard working and relaxed mentality among its employees. The company only promotes from within and there is an uncapped commission program, so the sky is seriously the limit! Promotions are not based off of tenure, if you come in and work hard... you will be recognized! Even though NTG is growing extremely fast, the company has managed to maintain its smaller family feel. I am friends with everyone in my office and we are constantly doing fun events both inside and outside of work together! I have been working with NTG for over a year now, and wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Cons

As with any job, especially in the transportation industry, you will need to work extremely hard to gain accounts/build your book of business. Making 80 sales calls a day at first can burn you out, but if you look at the big picture and keep doing the right things you can be very successful. Since the industry is 24/7, there are times you will have to work nights and weekends to make sure a truck picks up or delivers.

Advice to Management

Communication is key, your employees want to know why things change or why new policies are being put in place. Also work on managing each office individually -every single office has a different vibe and may require a different management style.

5. "Great, Fun Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, internally promotes, uncapped commission, huge game room, great coworkers, team work atmosphere, work hard play hard environment, company outings, fun week of company training, internal competitions, no cubes, casual attire, good benefits, etc.

Cons

sometimes someone gets to play music that shouldn't

6. "Best job ever"

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture you cannot beat. I have always felt like my opinion is heard. I have seen 3 other NTG offices and all of them are so high energy. Management team really cares about your opinion and are always trying to improve how they can effectively lead. I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to work at NTG. Such great training-you aren't micromanaged every step of the way, you are given lots of freedom to do your job the way you want to. They only promote from within

Cons

It's not easy. It is definitely a grind. You aren't going to get by from just coming into the office and doing your job mediocre. They are gonna push you to be the best you can be and they will be there for any assistance you may need. You have to be hard working to be at NTG

Nolan Transportation Group Response

Apr 13, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. NTG prides itself on our collaborative, energetic work environment. Our culture plays a role in our offices nationwide and we’re glad you are finding it favorable. NTG is ... More

7. "Broker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get paid for the work you put it. If you have a drive to work hard you will be rewarded. Pay is great and much better than competitors for those that strive to be successful.

Cons

Not for those that are not passionate about what they do or for those that think they are owed something without putting in the work.

"It's for you to decide"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are in a close environment with your colleagues and through this environment, competition and creativity thrive. There are a variety of tools available for you to be successful and expect to grind for three months making sales calls...you should know this from the beginning. Due to the short sales cycle, you can realize success relatively quickly and office leadership is there to help you success any way they can.

Cons

Hours are going to be long and the grind of sales calls can create monotony. Zero professional courtesy when it comes to the customers of other brokers...Expect to hear from your customers about the calls or emails they're receiving from other NTG brokers (you'll probably hear that you don't work there anymore as the excuse to take your business). An internal tool has been created to verify if a company is working with NTG already and is intentionally ignored, forcing you to work while looking over your shoulder. This cannibalistic approach to sales procurement is unprofessional and will catch up to you. Commission structures will change at least once a year and you should be prepared to do more work for less. The farm hiring of employees in January and June restricts resources to smaller offices and more senior people are sacrificed to continue training of the new hires.

Advice to Management

Invest in the talent that you already have. The bi-annual farm hiring of 100+ employees to flood resource-deficient offices is like stepping on their head while they're drowning. Go learn the individual cultures of each office rather than managing via email, which seems to exist across all levels of leadership. This is the most impersonal method to communicate to your employees and each other.

Listen to the leadership and employees of other offices. Come to know these people you've hired and how to make them better rather than trying to cultivate success by rearranging the desks every 3-4 months. Abandon your frat house mentality and invest the time to know the talent you've hired.

Nolan Transportation Group Response

Mar 15, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate all feedback from current and former employees while we continue to improve from within. At NTG, we provide resources and tools for ... More

"job"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none as of now sorry

Cons

long hours small return for work

Advice to Management

none

10. "Great Company if you like that industry"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Group of people, I was only female in my particular branch at the time which made it uncomfortable sometimes but overall they were a fun, chill group that I actually enjoyed being around. The benefits kicked in 3 months after employment and were really good.

Cons

Cold calls. Hundreds a day. TORTURE. Very much a churn and burn environment but if you stick it out you can do well because management does care about you and takes care of you. It is just a really crappy job overall because getting clients in that industry is hard and cold calls for 8 hours a day really is not my cup of tea.

11. "Carrier Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great recruiters and HR personnel to work with during the hiring process, they are very friendly, professional, and diligent in there process the whole way through. Great people to work with all around: from top to bottom. Everyone has positive attitudes and it's an amazing atmosphere to work in. Great leadership positively affects this workplace and anyone can clearly see it.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Great leaders produce great results. Keep it up!