Nolan Transportation Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Kevin Nolan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • NTG embodies a work hard/play hard environment that not only builds a team of co-workers, but joins a group of friends (in 12 reviews)

• The work environment is incredible (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours small return for work (in 15 reviews)

• t want employees to have a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company from the Top Down"

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at NTG for many years and can say whole heartedly this is a company that truly cares about you from the top down. This is not your typical 3pl logistics company and if you put in the dedication and work you will be rewarded for it. Promotions are almost solely from within the company and communication w/ your supervisors and overall leadership is key. Everyone one from senior leadership to HR to direct managers cares about your success and listens.

Cons

This is not for everyone. It can be stressful and requires a very strong work ethic and a true hunger and desire for success. Don't be scared to ask questions and voice opinions b/c they do listen and care about what you have to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay transparent and focused on the employees. There's no doubt this company has and will continue to grow w/ the overall Leadership, HR and Recruiting team they have in place that are all very passionate about what they do and the company as a whole.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Standard good medical benefits as a full time employee. Management puts in a decent effort to train you for the job. No dress code.

Cons

Please take into consideration all the negative reviews because they are so accurate. The environment appeals to recent college students because its a frat house. They play music and make it seem “fun” but there is nothing fun about the job. It’s sales- if you don’t meet your quota you will be fired. Also, you are making outbound calls all day, about 200 calls daily and soliciting business. Management in Charlotte office was unprofessional and inexperienced in leading a team. It’s all about if you “fit in” and who you are buddy buddy with, and they expect you to be social and look down on you if you don’t get drinks after work. Management often showed favoritism within the group, it’s also not a team environment, you are competing against everyone every day. You are just a number and company expects you to work long hours for no overtime pay. Working hard, staying late all the time is the standard and they don’t want employees to have a work/life balance. If you leave right at 5 pm its seen as you are not working hard enough and it’s noticed because everyone stays til at least 5:30 or 6:00 pm. There is a reason only young college grads work here and trust me, you can do better. They have high turnover, literally they hire hundreds of people at a time and it’s a revolving door with people in and out.

"High energy"

Pros

Very high energy workplace. People are friendly and willing to help out

Cons

The shipping industry is not for everyone. Hard work is required to be successful here.

Oct 4, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your review! We are so glad our work culture agreed with you, as we believe our energetic work atmosphere is unique to the Logistics industry. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

"Work Hard - Play Hard"

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work Atmosphere - no real dress code. Consistent Sales/Ops contests - Motivated Senior Leadership that put in time to help you succeed!

Cons

24/7 monitoring - at home work at times. No overtime paid out.

"Great"

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Nice, fun, relaxed, and smArt workers

Cons

Busy, long hours sometimes, stressful work sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Oct 4, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! We know the transportation industry is a 24/7 business and we appreciate all of your hard work and dedication to NTG! Thank you for all you do!

"Not worth the stress"

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Phones/computers are regularly updated and easy to use. IT does a good job and i appreciated having the new technology.

You Can wear whatever you want.

Cons

If you are female and not in accounting, HR, or Recruiting, you will have a tough time getting anywhere if you are looking to advance your career. There were no women in positions higher than team lead when I left and that probably hasn't changed. Also a challenging environment for minorities. If you're a fratty white guy you'll fit right in.

Bring everything they make you sign to a lawyer and have it edited. Do not sign that non-compete as is. Also, save a copy of everything you sign before you hand it back to HR because it is not easily accessible after that and there is an environment where if you do anything that might possibly look like you're looking for another job (such as trying to check your non-compete) even if you're not you are positioning yourself to be fired.

Once you inevitably leave the company they will stalk you to figure out where you are working next so that they can mail copies of your non compete several times to you and your new company.

Every department is run differently and there is no consistency. Accounting is run very well, and severely underpaid for the crap they have to put up with. If youre in sales, you won't get any help unless you're in Charleston, Grand Rapids or Atlanta. All the other offices are left to fend for themselves. The training is crappy and doesn't prepare you for the snake mentality of the people who "drank the punch" and will constantly leave you feeling like you have to defend your customers against other brokers. If you are in ops you are treated like crap, period.

90% of the time People are promoted into Management because they are buddies with upper management, and not because they are actually qualified to do the job. The people who are qualified end up leaving because they are severely underappreciated and underpaid. If you were fortunate enough to make it to some kind of management position at some point and you decide you want to try something else they will force you back down to entry level pay (again, no appreciation for seasoned employees).

Advice to Management

I don't think there is any point in providing advice to management, but my advice to everyone else is get out now while you still can before this company is dismantled for parts, and if you need to see a non-compete reach out to people you know who have already quit so you can see theirs to help you in your job search so that you don't put yourself on the line to be fired before you have something else lined up.

"Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can dress casually for work.

Cons

I would encourage anybody considering working for this company to read all reviews and pay attention to the negative reviews. I can speak with experience and confirm that the negative reviews are spot on. Yes, you can wear jeans to work and you will get free beer on Fridays but it is not worth the little pay and the little respect that you will receive in return. Account Managers have about 4 months from when they begin working to get together a book of business, if they don't, they will be fired. Operations have better job security but are tasked with cleaning up the messes that the inexperienced account managers make. I have, on more than one occasion, got cussed out by a carrier because an account manager screwed up. Management never makes the account managers own up to their actions. Many employees have also been hired to be operations coordinators only to be moved to just track shipments after training. To add on to the lies that Nolan tells, the commission that they claim the operations coordinators get is non existent. There is also an after hours phone that most employees get about once a month. You are expected to answer the phone when it rings... even at 4 a.m. The after hours phone was never mentioned during the job interview.

Advice to Management

There are far more successful brokerages out there... see what they are doing for their employees that you aren't. Lying about pay structure and job duties will just contribute to turnover.

"Payment"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear whatever you want to work.

Cons

Limited benefits. Practically working in a call center.

Advice to Management

Figure out the calling system.

"Awful--Unless you are into a frat lifestyle at work"

I have been working at Nolan Transportation Group full-time

Pros

You'll love it if you like a frat lifestyle at work.

Cons

You'll hate it if you don't like a frat lifestyle at work. And, if you don't fit in you'll get demoted and/or fired and/or hate your job so much that you'll just quit.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Why are you constantly advertising for new hires? It is not because you are growing it is because you no one over 30 wants to work for you.

Oct 4, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all reviews to help us better our company from within. NTG provides the tools and resources for our employees to be successful, as we only promote from... More

"Good luck"

Former Employee - National Account Manager
    Former Employee - National Account Manager

I worked at Nolan Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Music is played every day, but it's frat boy garbage. Free beer and you'll need it, training was nice but it was a trick to get you to stay with the company for longer than a well adjusted intelligent person would care to do.

Cons

Not a job for educated people. Long hours, dishonesty is encouraged constantly. Management will be dishonest to you as well saying you're improving and doing well and they don't mean it. No ethics here, all financial bottom line.

Advice to Management

read

Oct 4, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review! We strive to provide our employees with a unique work culture that’s energetic and rewarding. The transportation industry is a fast-paced... More