Nolo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Braun

1. "Software QA Engineer"

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Nolo (More than a year)

Pros

Freandly team to work

Cons

Location is little far it is in Pleasanton

2. "Legal Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Legal Marketing Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Marketing Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potluck parties every so often. Not much else.

Cons

Poor management, low salary when you are promised more, high expectations to sell but little support.

"Terribly Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent places to have lunch nearby, majority of the sales reps are great to work with, if you like soda they're only a quarter.

Cons

I was here for a total of 10 months. I've never worked at a job with such poor communication and utter lack of respect of their employees. When I began working here, it was actually fun and management for the most part knew what they were doing.

All of a sudden, changes started coming left and right that directly affected the sales reps and how they made money. The majority of these changes either came with no notice or barely any notice at all. You are entirely treated like a number here. You can get the most deals than anyone and management will still get on your case for either not making enough calls or not being on the phone long enough.

At one point in time, our new manager would literally hover over my desk, pretend he was walking by when he was actually just trying to observe my working habits and would enter my cubicle and read emails on my computer when I had stepped away from my desk. Management will preach they are against micro management then turn right around and do just that.

If you like a base pay that is slightly above that of a fast food employee, a manager that only knows how to micro manage and no growth potential at all, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't hire managers that care more about their own self image than their employees. It also might be a good idea to hire managers that have actual relatable experience.

"Company WAS fun, it's now a toxic cesspool of micro-managing middle-management"

Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part the sales reps I work with are great.

Cons

Good management empowers their employees, Dictating to them, especially when the sales reps who have been working for the company successfully for years, is a characteristic of micromanagement. There has been a long string of new and seasoned sales reps who have left since I started a couple years ago (about 50). There are HUGE red flags showing this company has a huge problem: 1.) Morale has been decreasing over the past 8 months. Management constantly makes policy changes that directly affect the livelihood of reps paychecks. 2.) Zero communication. Reps are treated like mushrooms. Management has actually been heard saying "The sales floor should be lucky we tell them anything." 3.) Base-salary is not competitive and the morale is so bad when management has offered DOUBLE the base-salary, reps still quit. 4.) Constant policy changes makes it increasingly difficult to hit sales goals to receive commission. 5. No respect. one of the managers responsible for the environment was quoted saying, "I don't have to earn respect. Respect is given to me by my title."

The main manager responsible for this toxic environment is under contact so don't expect the environment to change soon.

Advice to Management

Screen your managers better. A healthy work environment and respect for your employees is vital for retention.

"Stepping stone, nothing else"

Current Employee - Legal Marketing Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Marketing Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will hire you with no experience. Allow you to make commission right off the bat. Newer employees are given inbounds immediately so there is an opportunity for quick earning potential.

Cons

Everything else. Everyone seems to have worked there less than 1 year. Newer employees getting inbounds to make current management staff look better, as if their hires are better than the previous regime.

There's about 5-6 people who have a large enough book of business to make 6 figures, but every other position will be a revolving door for all time. 30K base is not competitive.

HR has a phone book of complaints on current management, but won't do anything because parent company IB is too cheap to cut ties and hire people that know what their doing. Current management has no legal advertising background, are complete morons. Even senior reps not hitting their numbers anymore.

Company is slowing circling the drain, but makes enough money off bad leads to stay in business.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Give reasonable price changes in a reasonable manner in a reasonable amount of time. Update lead credit policy to increase morale of employees and attorneys. VP and CEO good, rest of management needs to go.

"Not a great place to work there seems to be a lot of disgruntled employees"

Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have nothing better to do then why not try to make some extra cash.

Cons

The product is not great a lot of the leaves they sell seem to be horrible. Their sales requirements are not reasonable if your new person and don't have an established book of business. There are also chargebacks. There are a lot of pissed off attorneys that don't want anything to do with this company.

Advice to Management

Try to develop a product that's a little bit more streamlined and useful for your customers. A corporate micro management style does not seem to be very effective in the Pleasanton work environment.

"Bad Management, horrible morale, micro-managed"

Former Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Uncapped earning potential, great foot in the door for no sales experience.

Cons

Hourly pay, micro managed. Horrible management, little to no marketing to generate sales opportunities. 80-100 daily cold calls. People steal your sales opportunities. When they discover you are making too much on your book of business (residual) they will try to get rid of you, or make it miserable until you quit.

Advice to Management

Hire a manager who has actually worked on a sales floor and understands the entire sales cycle, and who works hard along side their team.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Online company, so a work hard, play hard atmosphere. Great work/life balance. The management cares about the career advancement of their employees.

Cons

It's a really great place to work. I really enjoy my interactions with co-workers as well as top management.

"salesforce.com university"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Back to basics with lots of phone calls. Wide use of salesforce.com. Upbeat environment.

Cons

Lead hoarding sales people. Ownership change meant instability

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Sales in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff, interesting clients, always a good challenge, intelligent writers and researchers, great website

Cons

Poor management, lack of organization, too much subterfuge, lied about job opportunities in sales, low base salary, no respect for sales people

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and be honest about career advancement opportunities