Nominum Reviews | Glassdoor

Nominum CEO Gary Messiana
Gary Messiana

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Nominum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Important, high demand products, interesting applications that can use them. Very smart developers. Small company atmosphere with private financing gives freedoms that are uncommon in software development.

Cons

Small company has small company benefit plans, understaffed severely for the promises made to customers. Insufficient barriers to using all staff for sales activities and then trying to hold to existing deadlines. Few equity events for common staff - no bonus plan, no revenue sharing. Unknown time to becoming liquid with any equity that is available.

2. "No comment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Nominum (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is reasonable.
    Diversity of company is broad.
    Work from home options.

Cons

No career progression, engineers hard to work with.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"Some of the best in-house technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

If you like working on core technologies instead of using someone else's, this is a great place to be an engineer.

Nominum primarily sells software to ISPs which they install and use to serve their customers. This requires squeezing modern services into each ISP customer's data centers with a very small footprint and very little setup. To make this possible, the engineering team has built impressive stream processing and database technologies that don't require spinning up hundreds of systems. Many tech companies can get away with growing cloud deployments and popular off-the-shelf technologies. While Nominum uses a lot of great open-source software, there are many opportunities to work on really amazing homegrown technologies. You don't get that opportunity at a place that can simply buy more AWS CPU time to solve all problems.

There is also a strong applications team that builds user-facing web applications with professional designers and real customer feedback.

Over the years, I feel that Nominum's engineering team has improved a lot. Some of the criticisms from past reviews were well deserved but a lot changes over time.

Cons

The Redwood City location is not the most convenient spot in the Bay Area for people who don't live on the Peninsula itself. Commutes from San Jose or San Francisco are long. There is a San Francisco satellite office but it doesn't yet hold a complete self-contained team. This means that people must choose to work "remotely" in San Francisco with the downsides that come with that or commute to Redwood City for in-person meetings. Maybe that's a general Bay Area problem.

As someone who has worked here for a while, I'll frankly state that the on-boarding process is inconsistent. We do find new employees good starting projects and make sure they have a couple people they can count on to help them get up to speed. But our documentation is often lacking in basic introductory material despite being quite in-depth. It also isn't organized into a searchable wiki. Sometimes it feels like your are playing Where's Waldo with documentation.

It can take a while to really feel productive since there is culture where everyone is expected to (eventually) know enough to be dangerous on virtually every one of a dozen components. It isn't always easy to keep up with though it does mean you can ask anyone for help with nearly anything. Some people get overwhelmed with that environment and others love it.

Advice to Management

Since the company is growing, it's more important than ever to make hiring and on-boarding some of our biggest strengths. The company needs to be ahead of the curve in that area.

5. "A certain kind of family..."

I have been working at Nominum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's definitely a feeling of family here, but not every employee ends up feeling like they are a part of that experience. The workplace generally feels more lax than many of my previous employers in that there's a kegerator in the office and many folks have some alcohol stashed at their desk. Despite that, most people don't drink at all. Many folks here seem to be of various kinds of geeky or nerdy persuasions. If you fit in well with the culture, you'll feel like you're coming "home". If you don't, you'll be frustrated and alienated and it'll be just another Job.

Fellow employees are generally skilled and knowledgeable. There's an ability to move through different kinds of positions within the company.

Cons

Intra-personal and intra-team communication really needs to get better. Additionally, there's not a lot of space for career upward mobility into management roles.

Advice to Management

Taking the time to do something right and making sure everyone is on the same page will make everything so much better.

6. "Sr Lead Security Engieer"

I have been working at Nominum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Security leader in DDoS, Amplification, PRSD, Bot-Net attacks
    Excellent Sales Leadership VP Level
    Customer Engagement is outstanding, I love presenting
    Solution is the most critical part of the network infrastructure
    The people are amazing to work with

Cons

Long flights for opportunities
    Expense re-reimbursement slow
    Have to leave on a moments notice
    Mid-night maintenance windows
    All the restaurant food

Advice to Management

Pay increase to compete with cost of living

"You feel you have already retired"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Nominum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent a few years here, and I enjoyed my stay here for a while (pretty short while) , those were fun times and it gave me a dream, they used to have some really good people, but then there were management shift, everything just gone bad, and honestly I can't think of any pro given I stayed there too long, should have left even earlier.

Cons

Depends on what you want or what stage you are in I your career, maybe pros:

1. Very flexible work hours, I spent a few years here, and it's very common you see people come in 5-6 hours, and for that 2 is lunch break, and god-knows how much of the remaining 3-4 hours go into actual work. To some ppl this is actually pro, not a bit to people with a passion to going to work, and this place kills passion.

2. Goes back to #1, no body / management give you any hard time as long as you don't put something on fire, being an engineer there pretty much means you take your sweet time to slack off and collect a paycheck.

3. Could be a very fun and friendly place, as long as you don't push the line and know your place, people are very fun there, but if you are a young bright smart new grad or someone early in the career looking forward to work hard, impress and move up, be aware, you will get trumped, very easily. This place is full of big corporate games even just 100-ish employees.

4. Managers have no idea how to grow your career or they just flat out don't care if you have career there or not. During performance reviews, you will often time hear people ranting about "my manager gave me an average review and ask me to learn more Java", from the guy who does most Java in the company, or "my manager told me to watch out code quality" fro the guy who achieved 97% unit test code coverage. Meanwhile, on the other hand, a few selected "elites" will always gets an outstanding review and gets big pay raise, same set of people every time.

I regret that I did not leave earlier, I wish I had saw it through earlier. If you are young / smart / passionate / ready to show the world what you got, forget about this place, there is a reason it's a 15+ years old company with 100ish employees, move on if you want to shine.

Advice to Management

Nothing, if they want to fix it it would have been fixed already.

"I hope they figure it out"

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Nominum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have some very smart people and a good product. Good salary and work environment. The core group has been there a long time (this is both pro and con).

Cons

About 15-20 years ago Nomium almost went broke, it missed payroll and just before they closed the doors the VC's came in to discover they have a killer product and poor sales. They turned it around and became profitable (you will hear this story many times). The engineers who were there during this time are "untouchable" - many of them are good to work with some are real pains. If they disagree with you, their boss, the CTO - they will build things they way they want and it you need to work with them you will have a very difficult time.
    Their stock is very diluted

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do next and excite it - your back rooms are filled with the corpses of dead projects that you tried and failed to bring to market.

"Very nice experience"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Engineers are very well respected within the company.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Blame game company"

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Good gym paid for by the company.

Cons

The middle management concentrates on finding scape goats.
    No possibility of advancement.

"Okay if you do not need stimulation or care about your job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Nominum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, big glass windows and lots of light
    Great gym
    Kitchen is well stocked
    Flexible hours (depends on the department)
    Notice I have not mentioned anything about the job itself yet

Cons

No career advancement
    No free lunch/dinner
    Managers do not care about you
    Bad management from the top all the way to the bottom
    Gossip and drama all throughout the office