Nook Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

2.0
Joseph H. Nook Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to intern, learned a lot!"

Former Intern - Design Engineering Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Design Engineering Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Nook Industries as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are very helpful and answer any questions you have. As an intern, they exposed me to different aspects of design engineering and I was able to apply what I had learned in coursework to writing reports and doing design analysis.

Cons

There were no downsides to working here.

"Machinist"

Former Contractor - Machinist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Machinist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Nook Industries as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice have some great support the workers on the floor really care about their jobs flexible hours

Cons

Revolving door can lose your job at a drop of a hat not company where you would retire from not a lot of old timers very deceptive environment disorganized uneasy environment any and I mean any wrong move and your out the door very weird place to work a company that don't no how to build don't see being around for along period of time a miracle they made it this long

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Nook Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros unless you like wasting time.

Cons

Lack of proper training, lots of secret but not so secret cliques

Advice to Management

Provide employees with more thorough and comprehensive training. You can't expect a person to do their job correctly if they are not given the chance to proplerly train for their position.

"Challenging environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I worked at Nook Industries (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pressure for unpaid overtime
    Many pleasant and competent people to work with
    Interesting products in an interesting industry
    Paid weekly, and payroll was never missed
    Good health benefits, but not cheap

Cons

Some deeply unpleasant people to work with.
    Tough industry leads to constant cost and pricing pressure.
    Leadership is untrustworthy. They undermine each other continually - both at the VP and C-level. Customers are not top of mind.
    Family business, not in a good way. Country club clique -- those in the club are bulletproof, while everyone else expects to be let go daily.
    Silo'd. Relationships between departments are toxic.
    Office and cafeteria are shabby and dirty. Manufacturing floor has very basic climate control.

Advice to Management

None. They have the company and the culture they have chosen to foster.

"Struggling business with no leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I worked at Nook Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great product line with quality products. Possibility to get into some innovative markets.

Cons

There is not much room for growth within departments. The CEO is not as focused on the business as he should be. Quick to hire and quick to layoff, poor planning. Not much cross support between departments (Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing, Quality, etc.)

Advice to Management

Let the senior management (VPs) manage their departments. Being a leader doesn't mean being a micro manager. If they had more stake in the game, things would go smoother.

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Cuyahoga Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cuyahoga Heights, OH

Pros

The manager for the sales department was very hands off (that can be a good thing if you do not need to be micromanaged). The base salary was decent and the people I worked with were very nice. You are not forced to work OT. You can learn a lot about sales from an account management stand point.

Cons

The owners son (Joe Nook) was a pompous fool. Time clock nazi's and lots of secret clicks. Sales incentives were not not achievable unless you were in good with the boss. Butt kissers do the best there so don't think hard work will get you compensation. It will just get you more hard work.

Advice to Management

The management hasn't changed so I would rather give my advice to a wall, it would at least listen.

"Constant Turmoil"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I worked at Nook Industries (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company provides good experience in your field. Somewhat flexible environment. Some employees are hard working, nice people and want the best for the company. Ability to take on more than your specific function.

Cons

Small company where the corner office changes direction on a whim. It is hard to meet customer needs when there is a daily crisis brought on by top management. Caustic culture/environment. Cliques and good ol' boys club trying to stay below the radar. Family infighting penetrates business too often.

Advice to Management

Get your experience and get out, the top will never listen to a degreed and intelligent professional.

"Deception is their definition"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Nook Industries full-time

Pros

Free parking, 11 paid holidays.

Cons

I was hired in a junior IT position with Nook Industries as part of a two member team. Not long after I started, my manager (the other member) resigned with short notice while I was still a very new trainee. I was called to a meeting with the head of my department, handed a list of 45 things and told I was now expected to be responsible for all of it, in addition to my original tasks and other tasks not on their list. I told them I was not comfortable with or qualified for a number of the responsibilities. I was told a replacement for the departed manager would be sought, but then soon found out from several other sources that was not true since the company had been having a few lean financial months. This was later confirmed, though I found it shady that I had been officially lied to.

In addition, they decided to move someone from an unrelated section of my department to help oversee some of the non-physical requirements on an “interim” basis. This made matters much worse because the person had no experience and was notorious in the company for being very unpleasant to deal with, and I had witnessed that during his interactions with the former manager. When people in the company found out I was going to be required to interact with this person, they literally offered me words of consolation because of who it was. I immediately began looking for new employment.

Over the next months, I was tasked with everything related to my section. I was expected to resolve completely unfamiliar issues with no resource whatsoever to turn to. I found myself spending hours putting out fires through online research and phone calls to vendors, all while still maintaining the tasks I was originally hired for. I was never offered a promotion or raise for the tremendous increase in responsibilities, and it was worsened by having to interact with the “interim” employee. A bonus responsibility came when I was approached by an executive’s assistant and told I needed to drop everything to purchase and activate (on the company’s plan) a specific phone for the executive’s son’s birthday the next day. I was clearly told that it had to be the exact phone and there would be no acceptable excuse why the task would not be able to be completed that day. I was told that any other issues or requests would have to wait until I played errand boy for the executive’s last minute non-business related request.

When I overheard a conversation in which the “interim” person was trying to convince HR to require me to provide a full 4 weeks’ notice before any vacation days or appointments because he didn’t know how to do anything, I was offended. He didn’t get quite that, but the suggestion was still very unfair because they were choosing not to hire anyone else. I was even asked to modify an already scheduled vacation to accommodate my unexpected new responsibilities. After one last unpleasant interaction with this unqualified person, who hindered far more than helped, I provided my two week notice via email. The company responded to my resignation like a pouty child, and I was not allowed to finish out my full two weeks. Their conduct opened them up to having to pay out unemployment benefits. After I filed my claim, the unemployment office contacted me asking if I had a copy of the resignation email because Nook claimed I never sent it and simply up and quit. Seriously? Since I copied my home account on the email, along with the three other recipients, I was able to provide a copy. They found in my favor. This kind of deception is what defines Nook Industries.

Nook Industries is shady indeed, and don’t expect the job you are hired for to be the only one you do.

Advice to Management

Don't try to lie because, as you have found out, it comes back to bite you.

9. "A good company"

Former Employee - Director of Quality in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Quality in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Nook Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams to work with. Well defined goals and plans. The owners stay involved in setting the goals for the company.

Cons

Family owned business that is growing. It is struggling a little bit to make the transition from a small business to a large business.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek out and hire good people. Your current HR staff does a great job. Develop the plan and stick to the plan.

"Was once a family oriented company"

I worked at Nook Industries full-time

Pros

The people who worked here were amazing.

Cons

Nook knows nothing about loyalty or has an ounce of respect for their employees. I watched them lay off of a woman who was 8 months pregnant, just to avoid paying maternity leave.