Noon Mediterranean General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Noon Mediterranean General Manager Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2019

Found 11 reviews

1.4
Noon Mediterranean CEO Michael Heyne (no image)
Michael Heyne
  1. "New mediterranean food chain on the rise."

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Pearland, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freshly made toppings, recipes made from chefs, 50% employee discount, healthy food options that taste good, nice insurance health and dental.

Cons

Long hours as manager/assistant manager, breaks only allowed when business is "slow" enough to take one, only one or two other staff members working at a time.

Advice to Management

Put yourselves in your teams positions when you're criticizing their work, and expecting them to do, etc. The company is still new, I highly doubt anyone in the upper management has ever worked in one of their own stores, and knows what its like to do such.

Noon Mediterranean2017-06-21

August 14, 2017Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and perspective. We take all of these comments seriously and are continuing to find ways to elevate the experience for all of our family members. This includes recent enhancement for our Assistant Manager schedules to eliminate the long hours you describe. It also includes weekends off for our General Managers. I am also disappointed that we gave you the impression from a corporate perspective that no one has worked in their own restaurants. Our founders both quite literally built (poured the concrete, built the counters, etc.) and ran our first several restaurants before expanding further. Clearly we have work to do to communicate and connect with our restaurant teams. Very much appreciate your comments as that will help us to be better in the future!

2. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

Monday to Friday 10a-8p work schedule. No late nights or weekends. Matched 401k. Decent quarterly bonuses. $50,000 base salary.

Cons

Continuously changing menu. Continuously rebranding. Owners improperly used investors money. Filed bankruptcy and closed a lot of their stores. Bought out of bankruptcy by another company.

Advice to Management

They were bought out of bankruptcy by another company so it may actually be a decent place now. I still would not recommend it.

Noon Mediterranean2019-02-16

"Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time

Pros

The food was excellent.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Horrible training, no ability to negotiate pay, and no raises for starters. They never listened to feedback. Multiple restaurants didn't have signage for a few months during a name change. Numbers were often wrong when they came down from corporate. Every system and process was either flawed or broken....it was insane. The worst part was that the food was great. It almost... felt like they thought, they didn't need to invest in anything else cuz the food would win people over.

Advice to Management

Blow it up and start over. Listen to people next time.

Noon Mediterranean2017-05-01

August 14, 2017Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I would like to discuss your perspective and experience if you are inclined. I can be reached at opendoors@eatverts.com. We are continuing to make adjustments and implement initiatives that elevate the experience for all of our family members! Your feedback will help us continue to improve.

"It ain't as good as it once was"

Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean

Pros

Great people from all different backgrounds, something unique, the food is legit, the experience is a great résumé builder and we legit have the best regulars.

Cons

Upper management is unapproachable and the Area managers that were left for other opportunities. The schedule is fixed ( I mean what company doesn't let their gm's create the schedule) and literally sucks you dry. Three 13 hour shifts are killer and when you are at a low preforming resturaunt,you work the whole 13 hours with minimum breaks. Tenure means nothing here, I have employees that work for a year and have no... consideration for a position they have worked hard for. They defiantly play favorites so if you don't have the up tempo personality you won't work out in management here. They have a lost identity and because of it they are literally changing something everyday.You can't buy people with raffles and gifts. Neither of those aren't going to change the fact that I barely get any sleep.

Advice to Management

Guys I understand you are trying to be the leader in Mediterranean cuisine but god dam like do you even care about the people in the resturaunts. You are literally wearing your people thin and then you try to replace them with people that don't fit the mold here. I used to love coming to work everyday and lately it's just been the complete opposite. You literally lost the central upper management that helped turn... verts into something great. In a couple of months we lost , two area managers, the trainer director, and Dan to other companies. The style of people you are attracting are fast food minded people people who have worked at a worse place so this an improvement. How are you going to be best in something when in reality you are becoming a stepping stone. People are just biting their time here until something better comes up. Don't give this post that generic response the marketing person came up with, it's something y'all do to save face with,this company doesn't really care what opinions I have.

Noon Mediterranean2016-08-12

August 15, 2016Communications Manger

Thanks for taking time to give us your feedback – it is really appreciated. In my specific role, I am dedicated to Our People at VERTS, and listening to all feedback so we can continue to make VERTS an awesome place to work. I personally visit Restaurants regularly, sit down with Family Members to listen to their thoughts about VERTS, and find ways to implement all feedback into shaping our company culture and programs. Your feedback does not go unheard, and I will address your concerns about scheduling, career development, and culture with different members of our Leadership Team. If you’d ever like to talk one to one (confidentially), I’d love to hear more about your VERTS experience (lianna.delpizzo@eatverts.com).

"Great people and food bad business model especially concerning employee satisfaction"

General Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean for less than a year

Pros

Food is good and quality of meat is high. Love talking to all the military folks who have been to Europe and come to get a reminder.

Cons

Overworked, under staffed, not appreciated and micromanaged by upper management. And of course not paid enough for the top down abuse.

Advice to Management

Rebrand quickly even if you stop opening stores to save the company from self destruction.

Noon Mediterranean2016-06-27

"bittersweet without the sweet"

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean full-time

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. My crew makes the difference. The guest are loyal. Decent christmas parties

Cons

Im not sure where to even start. This company has become a joke except I am not laughing anymore. I work so hard to follow new roll-out, mentor my team, take extremely harsh criticism from my Area manager and yet I feel defeated at the end of the day. I spend half my week working intense hours with little help and ridiculous demands. An hour to open with more things that require more then an hour. Expect to also... work on your day off, were asked to work on days off and make up the hrs by leaving early on one of the days were required to work 13 plus hrs. When you're short staffed you're also required to work and own your restaurant. When do we sleep? Whenever we have time. The mission statement has become a joke and I don't believe corporate understands how upset many people working for Verts are. Recently the Director quit because there was no quality or work/life balance. Its so sad to see so many rockstar managers, crew, and office people quit. I have worked for this company for a while and what I was promised has been nothing but disappointment. We are asked to do surveys that are not anonymous like promised. I can't even talk or give recommendations because ideas are shot down. I turned down three other career paths because I believed in this company and its defeating they don't believe in me or other GMS. This company no longer makes me feel safe or like Im working towards anything. Recent area managers have applied for new positions and have been shot down, as well as GMs not even being able to further their career here. They also reply to these reviews with copy/paste responses from someone that NO other GMs have even meet!!!! What??? I think that the only good thing that has come from working here are the people I have met that I will always be here for. I have never worked for a company so heartless towards employees or GMs. I pray this company changes because Id like to work for the company I was promised when I interviewed.

Advice to Management

maybe you should care about the people you have instead of the fur coats in your closet

Noon Mediterranean2016-04-05

April 6, 2016Communications Manger

Thank you very much for posting your honest review – we appreciate it! We meticulously review each and every bit of feedback our Family Members give us, whether on Glassdoor, through our surveys, or via email. I was hired to focus on engagement, communication, and culture, and I guarantee that feedback directly impacts the programs and initiatives we are rolling out this year. In another effort to connect with everyone and learn even more about our current culture, I will be touring every restaurant to meet our awesome Family Members, share my strategy for the year, and hear even more feedback. Change doesn’t happen overnight, but we hear you, and we are making changes to enhance the VERTS experience for our Family Members. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to discuss more about your experience, of course confidentially! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com

"Totalitarian mentality, with a slight hint of oligarchy, and a side of oppression."

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

The food is absolutely phenomenal the concept and the idea is fantastic! There is true promise in the ideas of the brand, if growth continues there will be massive opportunity for job growth.

Cons

I have worked here for nearly two years, I have seen many people come and go. Great people, amazing managers, amazing team members...but nobody cares. The turnover rate is astronomical and there doesn't seem to be a concern from anybody in regards to it. The company is literally bleeding people and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. We have no autonomy to control anything! We don't write our own schedules... they are written for us and often times we are severely understaffed. We can not give the proper service to our customers, nor get items cleaned or get items prepped and be able to have happy well-vested team members to continue to grow the company and our own locations. Sales across the board have stagnated there is no growth and only a handful of locations are actually profitable. We have been given many new menu items in order to grow the company; yet we have lost sight of who we are. Our once loyal customers hate us! I have lost so many regular customers to all the new changes because they do not feel appreciated, nor do they feel as though we care about the fact that they helped us grow this place to what it is. Of all of these new items not a single one was considered in regards to how it would actually be accomplished in any given location. We have recipe cards, ingredient lists and procedure cards all over the restaurant; they're supposed to tell you how to get any given task done...they're wrong, they don't make sense, and they are missing information. They do not allow operations to double-check what it is that they're putting out into the field before it actually gets out to the field. Leadership is incompetent how can you possibly run a company like this? We have not been given the tools to accomplish our jobs correctly. We are not being set up for success; we are being set up to fail... and that's just what we are all doing! This is a sinking ship, get out before you don't have a chance at something better! There is no promoting from within there have been more people in leadership roles brought from the outside world, than there has been promotion from within. We have a head of training that nobody ever sees, and nobody knows what he does, yet he still has a job? Nobody knows where it is that his office is located or what exactly his role is supposed to be. He doesn't know the first thing about how to actually operate any of our locations yet we're supposed to listen to him? Ownership is oblivious on how to actually run a restaurant company and they do not allow their area manager to have a say in nearly anything. This is not growth! This is not taking care of your people! This is not funny anymore! We're supposed to expand outside of our home state this year; I'm terrified for that! We're going to be a laughingstock and nobody's going to take us seriously if we can't get our act together! We lose money on our bonuses for food cost, labor Etc... However we are not showing how it is that this is actually computed. We don't actually weigh anything we don't actually submit an inventory form; yet somehow accounting knows how much I have in my restaurant? Or how much food cost it is that I'm using up and it affects my bonus directly! Get a clue! The way that you have been doing things is not right and you're screwing your people out of money and you know it! We are often required to put in extra hours for meetings, and tasks needing attention throughout the restaurant ON OUR OWN TIME! This is above the 50 hour minimum we put in at the restaurant! So, if you need to clean your hoods for example, you come in at 8 am (normally in at 10) then work a 13.5 hour shift, and stay until 1 am the next morning to finish the job! Oh, thats right, you still have to open tomorrow and work another 13 hour shift too! Come in early to clean out the fryer, and process the deposit! These are all items that should be included within the 50 hours you're expecting us to work! We all have lives outside of verts, and you need to respect that!

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! There is easily 500+ years of experience between all the area managers, GM's and teams...yet with your 5 years experience...YOU KNOW BETTER right? Listen to what it is that they're telling you to do; or sell the company and let somebody else take it over who knows what it is they're doing! The two of you (owners) are inexperienced, immature children with no experience playing in a big world... that you are oblivious to and you're lost! Sell the company or step aside and let grown ups handle it! BTW I wish I could give less than a 1 star review....but such as life I suppose!

Noon Mediterranean2016-04-02

April 5, 2016Communications Manger

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us an open and honest review. It is reviews like this that will help us implement change. For 2016, we are all about amplifying our culture and developing our Family Members. My role and position was created at VERTS is to focus on our people, culture, and engagement. Change isn’t overnight, but we are laying the foundation this year, developing programs and initiatives that focus on career development. This foundation would not be possible without the feedback we receive from you and other Family Members – so thank you! If you’d ever like to share more about your experiences and suggestions for improvement, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I will happily keep the conversation and feedback anonymous! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com.

"Owners in Wrong Business"

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team that I have and my Area Manager is the best part of my job. They have become my family.

Cons

Where to begin.....I have worked here for under a year and it has been downhill since I joined. I came for advancement and growth but it has been anything but that. Though I only speak for myself, many of my peers agree, that we have never worked at a place where it is so cold and disheartening that it is no wonder why we are so slow. I have never been so unprepared for a job. My GM training was for only 8 days and... all I did was fill out a checklist. When I hire an employee, they get 25 hours of training and as a GM I only get 75??? Every month the rules change, and the way it is communicated is confusing and most of the time, non-existant. As an example, we rolled out many new Menu items 2 months ago. There were many questions about some things and I asked my Area Manager. My Area Manager gave them to the Director of Operations and we still have not heard the answers to our questions! When I asked my Area Manager about it, I was told that the Director gave them to the owner and that he was waiting for the responses. 2 months later, and we still don't have answers and then we just rolled out more stuff. Another example was we rolled out a loyalty program and if our guests sign up they get $10 credit for a meal. Then it went to $2 credit and the owners took back the $8 from the guests that signed up! I've never been yelled out by so many angry guests in 1 day and I had no idea what to tell them. Also it seems the people at the office are more important than the teams in the restaurants. They just came out with a news letter and not one mention of anyone in the restaurants! It was all about the marketing and new chef! Then there is a rumor that the office purchased a Foose Ball Table for alot of money, but we get hours taken away for our teams! I work 60 hours each week and I'm scheduled 12.5 hour shifts. BTW did I mention I don't write my own schedules....and I'm a GM? I'm expected to work from 10 AM to 10:30 PM and so is my only other manager who is my AGM. At night, there is only 2 of us scheduled and we have a line to the door. Guests get so mad that we can't go faster. When I tried in the past to add more shifts, my Area Manager would not allow it because he said the owner has not approved it. He said we didn't do enough business and that we need to increase sales to get more hours. I understand that part BUT most of my dinner volume comes in an hour and a half....now for the last several months, our dinner business has gotten worse because we can't deliver good service. They say we are family but it feels like lip service. I was asked to take an employee survey that was confidential. At the end of the survey, it asked for my position and restaurant. How is that confidential? I along with others did not tell the truth on the surveys as we are afraid of retaliation. We are not allowed to own our business....we get told what to do. Just very under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Many people have left and most recently your Director of Operations. Owners should have found a way to keep him as he was always available and helped us out. He was very tough and had very high expectations, but he was also fair. He understood the people side of the business and would always ask me about my family and kids. Once he got a call from the owner and had to step away from a conversation he was having with... me. When he got back, he apologized for about 5 minutes afraid he gave the impression I wasn't as important as the phone call. That meant a lot to me. Many of us trusted our company when he was here because he knows the restaurant business and he worked hard at making it better. The owners don't have any experience with this and are learning the business at the cost of great people. Though I praise them for trying, they need someone in charge who understands the restaurant biz. I don't know how we are still open because we are so slow....but we are slow for a reason. My advice to owners is sell this to a restaurant company who knows what they are doing or get someone here who can do the job.

Noon Mediterranean2016-03-19

March 24, 2016Communications Manger

Thank you so much for your open and honest feedback – it is truly appreciated. As we continue to grow as a company, we are always finding ways to improve. Something we are specifically focusing on this year is company culture- the main reason I was even hired! A major part of building a strategy around enhancing the culture, is getting constant and honest feedback from our Family Members (hence the new VERTS Family Surveys). Those surveys are truly meant to give us an idea on the current state of the culture so we can find ways to make change. I would love to hear more about your experiences and suggestions for improvement. Happy to keep the conversation and feedback anonymous! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seen some of the best employees come and go. Not really a pro but I got to meet some very skilled individuals.

Cons

I worked for this company for over a year. At the beginning it was a good job, the owners where seen regularly, Verts is young so things could be a little crazy some times due to lack of procedure and such but nobody ever complained because we knew who we worked for a there was a strong sense that those people genuinely cared and took stock in your efforts. Fast forwarding a bit the owners decided to hire a upper... management staff which most starting companies do at some point in their growth. Almost immediately after this decision the owners all but vanished and "corporate" was born. The new upper management had only one goal, turn VertsKebap into a professional company at all cost without boundaries and so did just that, or tried. Almost every procedure or operation change was rolled out over night with no advanced warning causin management staff to scramble to implement these changes or risk being chewed out or lectured about how to do their job. In order to get this changes implented and the "right" staff they wanted, upper management saw fit to abandon all morals. Constantly lying, manipulating and even promising things that just could not happen. At the end of this lengthy restructure plan set by upper management the decision was made to abandon all changes made within that plan. That's right, literally over night the company abondon almost a years worth of change which came at massive costs in every respect. Along with this abandonment came wage reductions and layoffs across the board which was systematically where followed up by visits by upper management scolding people for bad attitudes and lose of culture. Not to mention the fact that reason such a dramatic change had to be made was due to poor decisions by that same upper management. In short if you work for VertsKebap you will be over worked, under paid and constantly asked to work well outside of your job description. There is little no chance to move up in the company as they have come accustom to redicolouse turn over rates and simply just hire externally. Your work will never be appreciated no matter how much extra you do. And it doesn't matter how long you stay with company, they will always micromanage, belittle, insult, disrespect, lie and manipulate you to their own end. Your opinion will never hold stock and any concerns or complaints you have no matter how genuine will be passed off as complaining and the assumption your not doing your job right. VertsKebap has developed a very questionable morality issue and due to that fact alone I would never recommend anyone work for this company at any level. Without going to much further, let's just say the work life balance is awful, you will work 12 or 13 hour shifts 3 or 4 times a week and days off, the few you get are filled with home upkeep, running errands or sleeping trying to recover. Staffing is horrible and any time off even if your sick is a nightmare and more time than not held against you. Beware favoritism is on the rise.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, let your managers manage and treat them like human beings and not a disposable tool. Get your priorities straight, stop worrying about money when you can't even properly handle the products you serve. Your employees are under paid and over worked and you appreciate everything they do for you even more because of that. And please stop lying and manipulating people, culture is built out of... respect and how can you respect a company you can't trust.

Noon Mediterranean2015-11-13

"Too much for too little"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting work environment, great coworkers

Cons

Corporate continues to ask more and more of you without a second thought or thanks.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers more.

Noon Mediterranean2015-09-24