Noon Mediterranean "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Noon Mediterranean Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated May 29, 2019

2.7
Noon Mediterranean CEO Michael Heyne (no image)
Michael Heyne
Pros
  • "always changing work environment(in 4 reviews)

• "Verts offers growth opportunities and promotes from with in(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "For the truth behind Noon look up Verts Mediterranean Grill's glassdoor review(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management is unapproachable and the Area managers that were left for other opportunities(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Fake culture and empty promises"

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with directly and on a daily basis were some of the most talented and driven people I've met in my career.

Cons

- Sexist work environment - I was told by a member of upper management during a business call that he missed "bickering with a woman" since he recently broke up with his girlfriend. This is just one example. - They hired really amazing talent only to have them execute what upper management wanted. This led to awesome talent becoming frustrated daily. - Told that I would be able to make a real change at a... fast-growth company, but was called "too direct and unapproachable" most times I voiced an opinion. - Upper management would "listen" to ideas and feedback, but only drove their own agenda. - Upper management would get into arguments/heated conversations in meetings and in the office, often in front of many people. - The company culture is non-existent and values/mission/vision were just for show. - The company does not care about the individual employee, only about making/saving money.

Advice to Management

I would give advice, but they wouldn't listen to it anyway.

Noon Mediterranean2017-10-11
  2. "Fun place to work, but upper level management takes advantage of you"

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean full-time

Pros

Friendly and well trained General Managers and Assistant General Managers across the Austin area. Good starting wage for crew members ($10/hour)

Cons

Salary/wages for AGMs and GMs inconsistent. AGM pay was cut from $13/hour to $12/hour last month. After being raised back up to 13 less than a week ago, overtime has been eliminated for AGMs, costing us $700-$800 a month. Upper management adds huge responsibilities to GM and AGM positions with little to no notice, threatens termination if not fulfilled, and does not offer any compensation for increased... responsibilities AGMs make more money based on restaurant sales, but do not catering sales (done directly through the restaurant, overseen by AGMs) do not count towards this wage increase. Restaurants are closing rapidly in Texas (17 in last 6 months)

Advice to Management

Stop disrespecting your employees by lowering pay and increasing job duties, just to look good to future investors.

Noon Mediterranean2017-06-28

August 14, 2017Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I would like to connect personally to discuss further. Please feel free to reach out to opendoors@eatverts.com. I completely understand how changes are difficult as our company grows and adjusts based on learning. We are very committed to creating a great brand for our guests and family members as we grow and provide long term opportunities for all. Looking forward to hopefully connecting further if you are so inclined.

"It ain't as good as it once was"

Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Noon Mediterranean

Pros

Great people from all different backgrounds, something unique, the food is legit, the experience is a great résumé builder and we legit have the best regulars.

Cons

Upper management is unapproachable and the Area managers that were left for other opportunities. The schedule is fixed ( I mean what company doesn't let their gm's create the schedule) and literally sucks you dry. Three 13 hour shifts are killer and when you are at a low preforming resturaunt,you work the whole 13 hours with minimum breaks. Tenure means nothing here, I have employees that work for a year and have no... consideration for a position they have worked hard for. They defiantly play favorites so if you don't have the up tempo personality you won't work out in management here. They have a lost identity and because of it they are literally changing something everyday.You can't buy people with raffles and gifts. Neither of those aren't going to change the fact that I barely get any sleep.

Advice to Management

Guys I understand you are trying to be the leader in Mediterranean cuisine but god dam like do you even care about the people in the resturaunts. You are literally wearing your people thin and then you try to replace them with people that don't fit the mold here. I used to love coming to work everyday and lately it's just been the complete opposite. You literally lost the central upper management that helped turn... verts into something great. In a couple of months we lost , two area managers, the trainer director, and Dan to other companies. The style of people you are attracting are fast food minded people people who have worked at a worse place so this an improvement. How are you going to be best in something when in reality you are becoming a stepping stone. People are just biting their time here until something better comes up. Don't give this post that generic response the marketing person came up with, it's something y'all do to save face with,this company doesn't really care what opinions I have.

Noon Mediterranean2016-08-12

August 15, 2016Communications Manger

Thanks for taking time to give us your feedback – it is really appreciated. In my specific role, I am dedicated to Our People at VERTS, and listening to all feedback so we can continue to make VERTS an awesome place to work. I personally visit Restaurants regularly, sit down with Family Members to listen to their thoughts about VERTS, and find ways to implement all feedback into shaping our company culture and programs. Your feedback does not go unheard, and I will address your concerns about scheduling, career development, and culture with different members of our Leadership Team. If you’d ever like to talk one to one (confidentially), I’d love to hear more about your VERTS experience (lianna.delpizzo@eatverts.com).

"Great people and food bad business model especially concerning employee satisfaction"

General Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean for less than a year

Pros

Food is good and quality of meat is high. Love talking to all the military folks who have been to Europe and come to get a reminder.

Cons

Overworked, under staffed, not appreciated and micromanaged by upper management. And of course not paid enough for the top down abuse.

Advice to Management

Rebrand quickly even if you stop opening stores to save the company from self destruction.

Noon Mediterranean2016-06-27

"Caution"

I worked at Noon Mediterranean

Pros

Really good food; some great people at the restaurant level who care and work hard; no early mornings or really late nights

Cons

Owners have 5 years experience and think they know everything there will ever be to know about restaurants. They have zero social skills and zero management skills. Top-down mentality where the corporate office shoves things down the throats of operations with zero input. No accountability at corporate office--they continually make mistakes, which makes the GM's job harder, and then tell the GM to "be flexible". ... I got out just in time...new upper management guy thinks he is a gift to the world, never has one positive thing to say about what we were doing at the restaurant-level...but he fits right in with the corporate mentality. Also, the "bonus" system they have is not transparent--no one in accounting can explain where the numbers come from (if they even respond to your question)...very sketchy. My guess is they are fudging numbers. I have only been doing this for 10 years but by far the worst company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Owners--get out of the way and let restaurant people run your company before you ruin it. Also, you call everyone "family members"...act like it.

Noon Mediterranean2016-05-18

May 20, 2016Communications Manger

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We realize that past processes and procedures may have not been the most transparent and clear. In my new role as VERTS Communications Manager, I am creating new streamlined ways in which we roll out changes and communicate with each other. We are moving towards a more transparent company culture, and your feedback will definitely support this initiative. Thanks for your hard work at VERTS, and if you’d ever like to speak more, feel free to reach out to me directly. – Lianna (lianna.delpizzo@vertskbap.com)

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seen some of the best employees come and go. Not really a pro but I got to meet some very skilled individuals.

Cons

I worked for this company for over a year. At the beginning it was a good job, the owners where seen regularly, Verts is young so things could be a little crazy some times due to lack of procedure and such but nobody ever complained because we knew who we worked for a there was a strong sense that those people genuinely cared and took stock in your efforts. Fast forwarding a bit the owners decided to hire a upper... management staff which most starting companies do at some point in their growth. Almost immediately after this decision the owners all but vanished and "corporate" was born. The new upper management had only one goal, turn VertsKebap into a professional company at all cost without boundaries and so did just that, or tried. Almost every procedure or operation change was rolled out over night with no advanced warning causin management staff to scramble to implement these changes or risk being chewed out or lectured about how to do their job. In order to get this changes implented and the "right" staff they wanted, upper management saw fit to abandon all morals. Constantly lying, manipulating and even promising things that just could not happen. At the end of this lengthy restructure plan set by upper management the decision was made to abandon all changes made within that plan. That's right, literally over night the company abondon almost a years worth of change which came at massive costs in every respect. Along with this abandonment came wage reductions and layoffs across the board which was systematically where followed up by visits by upper management scolding people for bad attitudes and lose of culture. Not to mention the fact that reason such a dramatic change had to be made was due to poor decisions by that same upper management. In short if you work for VertsKebap you will be over worked, under paid and constantly asked to work well outside of your job description. There is little no chance to move up in the company as they have come accustom to redicolouse turn over rates and simply just hire externally. Your work will never be appreciated no matter how much extra you do. And it doesn't matter how long you stay with company, they will always micromanage, belittle, insult, disrespect, lie and manipulate you to their own end. Your opinion will never hold stock and any concerns or complaints you have no matter how genuine will be passed off as complaining and the assumption your not doing your job right. VertsKebap has developed a very questionable morality issue and due to that fact alone I would never recommend anyone work for this company at any level. Without going to much further, let's just say the work life balance is awful, you will work 12 or 13 hour shifts 3 or 4 times a week and days off, the few you get are filled with home upkeep, running errands or sleeping trying to recover. Staffing is horrible and any time off even if your sick is a nightmare and more time than not held against you. Beware favoritism is on the rise.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, let your managers manage and treat them like human beings and not a disposable tool. Get your priorities straight, stop worrying about money when you can't even properly handle the products you serve. Your employees are under paid and over worked and you appreciate everything they do for you even more because of that. And please stop lying and manipulating people, culture is built out of... respect and how can you respect a company you can't trust.

Noon Mediterranean2015-11-13

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good and healthy food. Fast growing concept, opportunity for advancement for crew members that show promise.

Cons

shifts are long,from 10am-10:30pm with no time to take breaks. 3 to 4 days a week (56 hrs). Many stores are understaffed and management works 60-70 hours with not even a thank you. Rare days off are spent sleeping and upkeep of your home. No work/life balance....just work work work. Seems upper management is to busy opening up stores rather than taking care of the ones they have.

Advice to Management

Cut hours of your management or the "good ones" will find other work else where.

Noon Mediterranean2014-09-28

"Management degrades employees"

Former Employee - Vertist in Austin, TX

I worked at Noon Mediterranean full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sandwiches are alright. You get 50% off. The work is menial and easy.

Cons

I could never recommend that anyone work here. I was hired on as a minimum wage, line employee. During the interview I was informed by one of the co-owners that Verts is a growing company, hoping to open several new restaurants in Austin and greater Texas, and there would be plenty of opportunity to move in to management position and even potentially a job within the corporate office. This was untrue. A couple of... weeks into my employment, uppermanagement hired on a host of new managers for their stores. None of these new hires came from within the company (and this includes a number of hard-working, qualified employees who had been with Verts for nearly two years in some instances). The management style of this place is "chew out your subordinates." On several occasions I heard middle-management claim they were sick of being hassled and "chewed out" by those in the corporate office, who were concerned about lackluster sales at the particular Verts location I worked at. These chew-outs make their way down the line. The manager I was originally hired under is one of the most insufferable, ego-tripping bastards I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. Problems with sales at the store were then blamed on the minimum wage line-service staff by middle-management. We were incompetent and therefore customers were failing to return to our location to eat (this is contradicted by Yelp reviews for the store location I worked at, which ubiquitously praise the line staff). Management would change basic restaurant procedures absurdly often, with no coherent explanation of new procedures and then hourly employees were taken to task for failing to follow the update procedures. Nextly, if you are looking for a place to work that maintains the vibe of Austin this is the opposite of the sort of place you are looking for. The upper-management at Verts are obsessed with becoming millionaires and starting up the Subway or Chipoltle of kebap sandwiches, they are not interested in creating a cool Austin spot. They want uniformity. They want you to wipe your personality and just be salesman for their crappy side-options as you interact with customers. They do not source things locally the way they claim to (for example, our tortillas DO NOT come from El Milagro, despite the fact that El Milagro tortillas are advertised and the schematics for customer interaction pasted behind the line instruct employees to say that the tortillas come from Milagro). Also, if you take a job here your schedule will consist of split-double shifts 3-4 times a week. For example, you may be scheduled to work from 10-2 and then 5:30-11. If you have to take the bus home you will have no time to do so during this break. So what happens, in practise, is that you sit around Verts for 13 hours on this day, despite the fact that you are going to be paid for 9. Also, if you forget to clock out after you get off your shift, Vert's official policy is that you forfeit your payment for that shift. Bottom line: the owners of this place have business degrees and no sense of how to interact with or treat employees underneath them, no management experience, no restaurant experience, and they seem to believe that demeaning their middle-management and hourly staff is the best way to operate their restaurant. Hourly staff was mocked and insulted in emails amongst corporate management, and this in turn makes it very difficult to prove your efficacy as an employee or even hope to make more than 8$ an hour there. Last comment: After two weeks of work my paycheck was routinely less than 400$. Only take this job if you have no dignity, are a college student who doesn't actually need to make money, or if you are 14-16 years old and this is your first job. Awful, awful place to work. I would not even spend my money on a sandwich from this place after my experience working there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect.

Noon Mediterranean2013-06-16