KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Noon Mediterranean

Is this your company?

Noon Mediterranean

Add a Review

Noon Mediterranean Employee Reviews about "verts"

Updated Feb 7, 2018

Found 12 of over 73 reviews

2.5
Noon Mediterranean CEO Michael Heyne (no image)
Michael Heyne
Pros
  • "To begin, I will address each of the following areas: Company environment, quality of product, compensation, and work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• "always changing work environment(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "For the truth behind Noon look up Verts Mediterranean Grill's glassdoor review(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management is unapproachable and the Area managers that were left for other opportunities(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "verts"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Terrific Opportunity

Dec 12, 2016 - Foodie in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Verts offers growth opportunities and promotes from with in.

Cons

Do have any cons to comment.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Don't be fooled. Look up Verts glassdoor.

Feb 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's so bad It's funny.

Cons

New name, same horrible management. For the truth behind Noon look up Verts Mediterranean Grill's glassdoor review.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0

Team Member

Feb 5, 2018 - Team Member in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros except that they offer free food now.

Cons

The name of this company was Verts Mediterranean food. The first day of work they tell you that employees are family members, and that there's a good opportunity here since the company was growing exponentially. But those words are complete lies. Very poor management in Boston area, don't valuate the employees, so that no crew member will stay more than a couple of months even if they get promoted to Assistant managers; they will all quit sooner than later. And the company lost his souls, it was named verts because of it's vertical grill meat. Now they took it off and lost half of their costumers. It became just another chain that tries to copy Chipotle, and won't last too long if they don't get them selves together.

4. 2.0

Giant Waste of Potential

Nov 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

VERTS hired a lot of talented people.

Cons

Look at the rest of the reviews from full-time corporate employees, they're not lying. Leadership spent money to hire great people across all departments, only to belittle them and ignore their ideas and input. Negative and often sexist work environment where many talented and experienced team members were unappreciated or bypassed in favor of the owners friends (who they have a habit of putting on the payroll). Most outside hires ended up getting laid off a year later thanks to financial mismanagement and irresponsible use of investor funding.

5. 1.0

Don't Believe The Lies

Nov 8, 2017 - Field Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The restaurant is a great concept and has so much potential, but unfortunately it is being run into the ground by the founders.

Cons

There are a lot of eloquently-written reviews on here already that address working on the corporate side of VERTS, and all of them are spot-on, so I'll keep this short and sweet: Don't believe all of the beautifully-spun lies that they'll tell you in your interview. It's all nonsense. The company isn't growing. There is no real cooperation within the company and everyone seems to have their own competing visions. The founders are aloof and delusional. There is no direction. The founders hired a lot of really talented, experienced people last year and didn't listen to any of them. Then, they laid off half the company six months later. They fly by the seat of their pants and don't really think through any of the decisions that they're making. Save yourself the trouble and don't work here.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

DON'T.

Sep 22, 2017 - Field Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'd say the main pro is the concept. VERTS had every opportunity to be a game changing concept in the fast-casual space. The food was very tasty, but this is a fluctuating factor and not something that can consistently be counted on. The owners have been changing too much on the menu that the restaurant crew can't keep up with quality and quantity because they aren't given the resources to do so. It's a terrible shame because they have some great leadership in place on the culinary/operational side. But these great leaders are not properly utilized and are unable to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

Cons

I'd say the main con is that the founders are not fit to be the leadership of an organization that is growing at the rate they are pushing for. They are both smart and capable, but they are grossly inexperienced as leaders. VERTS has no brand, no culture, and no definitive destination in which they are traveling. It's all fluff. The company is operating quarter to quarter, firing and rehiring positions as needed. VERTS is a fluke. Everything about it is a fluke. VERTS is currently a shell of what it could have been waiting to shatter and cave into itself. It really is a shame.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

We are one family......NOT!!

Dec 16, 2016 - Financial Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Verts for 2.5 years in their corporate office as an accountant. To begin, I will address each of the following areas: Company environment, quality of product, compensation, and work/life balance. It’s hard to assign an overall score, but I would give them 2 stars personally based on the fact that I would not consider working for them again. Company environment: 2/5. From the first day that I started, it was obvious that there would be long hours. In fact, contracts stipulated that each employee must work 50 hours a week, with a 30 minute lunch break, which came out to daily hours of 9-7. I will admit that it was difficult to finish all my work even during these long hours, and often came in on the weekend to work on month end closings because it simply was not possible to complete all my tasks. Reviews were done quarterly, and were well documented by management. The general attitude was: “If you don’t look stressed, you must not have enough on your plate.” At one point, I tracked my overtime so that I could bring it up in my next quarterly meeting. After providing a daily tracking spreadsheet I was told that it was “extremely unprofessional” by one of the owners of the company. I thought I was being pro-active by showing that our department was growing at an incredibly fast pace and we needed to hire another person, my boss told me to stop tracking my overtime immediately. I can’t speak for the other departments (facilities, marketing and administrative) but I can say for the accounting department that the workloads are brutal and under-appreciated by ownership. The company is made up of the corporate office with 20 or so employees, and the restaurant teams with about 300 employees. I worked directly with the restaurant assistant managers, managers, area managers and regional managers. I believe that their experiences were very similar to mine: average pay, very long hours, not a lot of respect from ownership, very little job growth or opportunity. My reasoning behind this is the extremely high turnover at the management level, including the highest operational level in the company which was area managers and regional managers. It is expected that staff working at $9/hour will come and go, it is not expected that management will have equally high turnover. In the final year of my employment, the following people left Verts for better opportunities: 2 Office managers, the entire marketing department, Director of HR, Regional manager (the highest operational position in the company), Facilities Assistant, Internal Financial Accountant, Director of Accounting, and Director of Training. I would be frightened if this was my company. Quality of Product: 2/5. When I first started working at Verts, the kebaps were fantastic. I ate them everyday, and even on weekends. After about a year though, something changed in the recipe and it was never the same. I would guess that the quality of the meat was downgraded, this was echoed by many managers who worked with the meat cones daily and shared their input with me. I found this very unfortunate as the kebap meat is the signature item on their menu. After two complete company rebrands, from Verts to VertsKebap, and VertsKebap to Verts Mediterranean Grill, many more items were added to the menu such as garbonzo beans, mixed grilled veggies, hummus and rice bowls. These items diversified the menu significantly. I don’t believe the “quality” of any of these particular offerings are high, the rice for example is yellow but has almost no flavor at all. Overall, I saw many people that I worked with go from “hey this is great!” to “my stomach feels pretty weird”, so I can’t highly recommend the product. Compensation: 2/5 Pay is completely average at Verts. After seeing the massive workload that I was expected to complete, I asked for a raise and was told that I “should have done a better job negotiating my salary”. Sounds pretty corporate for a startup right? My question is this: Verts is trying to put a restaurant on every corner in every city, right next to Chipotle, so their growth is massive. If the number of restaurants increases by 40% every year, and my workload increases correspondingly, why wouldn’t I ask for a raise every year? The company is literally being built brick by brick by the people in the corporate office, yet they are not highly valued by ownership. There is also no 401k, and the standard 10 days of vacation. Work/life balance: 2/5: A couple of things go into this consideration: how much work is there, how many hours do I have to complete the work, and how much time off do I get? After the first year, contracts were re-negotiated from 50 hours per week to 45 hours per week. A standard work day was 9-6. This was not due to ownership trying to be kind to it’s employees, the corporate office employees literally got together and decided that 50 hours a week was not sustainable and made it very obvious that we were all unhappy. In January of 2016, the corporate office moved from a tiny office in the Dobie Mall to a fairly large suite in the W hotel in downtown Austin. This was a MASSIVE improvement for all the corporate employees. I would personally say that this was done out of necessity, our marketing department quadrupled in size alone. The new office was pretty swanky, with a keg-erator and foosball and plenty of free snacks. Parking was also provided which was very nice. I applaud ownership’s recent changes in this regard. As already discussed, the workload was very large, and with only the standard two weeks of vacation a year you start feeling a bit squeezed. An extra week is available for sick time, although no one ever took sick time because there was…. Too much work to do! Both of the owners are German, which begs the question even more of why they don’t offer more vacation to their employees? It is widely known that more vacation leads to higher employee satisfaction, less stress, and lower turnover. Europe is notorious for offering large amount of vacation to it’s workers, I was very surprised that they aren’t continuing that philosophy in America. To sum up, I can’t currently recommend working for Verts. I believe that they are “trying” to retain top talent and foster a better working environment, but that since these initiatives are ultimately tied to cost that it is a losing game. They claim they are currently the “fastest growing fast casual” restaurant in the United States, so there isn’t a lot of time or money left over for employee growth, reduced workload, or additional pay / vacation.

Cons

Please see above for a complete description.

11 people found this review helpful

Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and perspective. We take this seriously and your comments will help us learn and grow as an organization. Thank you for your commitment and clearly hard work and contributions to VERTS!

8. 1.0

Worse Job experience I have ever had

Apr 28, 2016 - Area Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unique concept and have potential to be successful if professionally managed

Cons

I have been working in restaurant business at executive management level over 14 years but I have never seen a poorly managed company as Verts Kebap. They call their employees family members but they don't provide any incentives or making any positive steps to be part of a family. A lot of talking and giving hope to their employee but no actions at all. They also have a very passive and unorganized training team.

Communications Manger

Thank you for your review! We really do pride ourselves in our unique concept and our product. We are growing fast, and in order to support this growth, we have hired more people on the corporate level to support all of our restaurants. We have a lot in store for 2016 with less talking and more action. I noticed that you are no longer with VERTS, but I would love to hear more about your experiences and suggestions for improvement. I will of course keep the conversation and feedback anonymous. Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee

bittersweet without the sweet

Apr 5, 2016 - General Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. My crew makes the difference. The guest are loyal. Decent christmas parties

Cons

Im not sure where to even start. This company has become a joke except I am not laughing anymore. I work so hard to follow new roll-out, mentor my team, take extremely harsh criticism from my Area manager and yet I feel defeated at the end of the day. I spend half my week working intense hours with little help and ridiculous demands. An hour to open with more things that require more then an hour. Expect to also work on your day off, were asked to work on days off and make up the hrs by leaving early on one of the days were required to work 13 plus hrs. When you're short staffed you're also required to work and own your restaurant. When do we sleep? Whenever we have time. The mission statement has become a joke and I don't believe corporate understands how upset many people working for Verts are. Recently the Director quit because there was no quality or work/life balance. Its so sad to see so many rockstar managers, crew, and office people quit. I have worked for this company for a while and what I was promised has been nothing but disappointment. We are asked to do surveys that are not anonymous like promised. I can't even talk or give recommendations because ideas are shot down. I turned down three other career paths because I believed in this company and its defeating they don't believe in me or other GMS. This company no longer makes me feel safe or like Im working towards anything. Recent area managers have applied for new positions and have been shot down, as well as GMs not even being able to further their career here. They also reply to these reviews with copy/paste responses from someone that NO other GMs have even meet!!!! What??? I think that the only good thing that has come from working here are the people I have met that I will always be here for. I have never worked for a company so heartless towards employees or GMs. I pray this company changes because Id like to work for the company I was promised when I interviewed.

4 people found this review helpful

Communications Manger

Thank you very much for posting your honest review – we appreciate it! We meticulously review each and every bit of feedback our Family Members give us, whether on Glassdoor, through our surveys, or via email. I was hired to focus on engagement, communication, and culture, and I guarantee that feedback directly impacts the programs and initiatives we are rolling out this year. In another effort to connect with everyone and learn even more about our current culture, I will be touring every restaurant to meet our awesome Family Members, share my strategy for the year, and hear even more feedback. Change doesn’t happen overnight, but we hear you, and we are making changes to enhance the VERTS experience for our Family Members. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to discuss more about your experience, of course confidentially! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Totalitarian mentality, with a slight hint of oligarchy, and a side of oppression.

Apr 2, 2016 - General Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The food is absolutely phenomenal the concept and the idea is fantastic! There is true promise in the ideas of the brand, if growth continues there will be massive opportunity for job growth.

Cons

I have worked here for nearly two years, I have seen many people come and go. Great people, amazing managers, amazing team members...but nobody cares. The turnover rate is astronomical and there doesn't seem to be a concern from anybody in regards to it. The company is literally bleeding people and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. We have no autonomy to control anything! We don't write our own schedules they are written for us and often times we are severely understaffed. We can not give the proper service to our customers, nor get items cleaned or get items prepped and be able to have happy well-vested team members to continue to grow the company and our own locations. Sales across the board have stagnated there is no growth and only a handful of locations are actually profitable. We have been given many new menu items in order to grow the company; yet we have lost sight of who we are. Our once loyal customers hate us! I have lost so many regular customers to all the new changes because they do not feel appreciated, nor do they feel as though we care about the fact that they helped us grow this place to what it is. Of all of these new items not a single one was considered in regards to how it would actually be accomplished in any given location. We have recipe cards, ingredient lists and procedure cards all over the restaurant; they're supposed to tell you how to get any given task done...they're wrong, they don't make sense, and they are missing information. They do not allow operations to double-check what it is that they're putting out into the field before it actually gets out to the field. Leadership is incompetent how can you possibly run a company like this? We have not been given the tools to accomplish our jobs correctly. We are not being set up for success; we are being set up to fail... and that's just what we are all doing! This is a sinking ship, get out before you don't have a chance at something better! There is no promoting from within there have been more people in leadership roles brought from the outside world, than there has been promotion from within. We have a head of training that nobody ever sees, and nobody knows what he does, yet he still has a job? Nobody knows where it is that his office is located or what exactly his role is supposed to be. He doesn't know the first thing about how to actually operate any of our locations yet we're supposed to listen to him? Ownership is oblivious on how to actually run a restaurant company and they do not allow their area manager to have a say in nearly anything. This is not growth! This is not taking care of your people! This is not funny anymore! We're supposed to expand outside of our home state this year; I'm terrified for that! We're going to be a laughingstock and nobody's going to take us seriously if we can't get our act together! We lose money on our bonuses for food cost, labor Etc... However we are not showing how it is that this is actually computed. We don't actually weigh anything we don't actually submit an inventory form; yet somehow accounting knows how much I have in my restaurant? Or how much food cost it is that I'm using up and it affects my bonus directly! Get a clue! The way that you have been doing things is not right and you're screwing your people out of money and you know it! We are often required to put in extra hours for meetings, and tasks needing attention throughout the restaurant ON OUR OWN TIME! This is above the 50 hour minimum we put in at the restaurant! So, if you need to clean your hoods for example, you come in at 8 am (normally in at 10) then work a 13.5 hour shift, and stay until 1 am the next morning to finish the job! Oh, thats right, you still have to open tomorrow and work another 13 hour shift too! Come in early to clean out the fryer, and process the deposit! These are all items that should be included within the 50 hours you're expecting us to work! We all have lives outside of verts, and you need to respect that!

Communications Manger

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us an open and honest review. It is reviews like this that will help us implement change. For 2016, we are all about amplifying our culture and developing our Family Members. My role and position was created at VERTS is to focus on our people, culture, and engagement. Change isn’t overnight, but we are laying the foundation this year, developing programs and initiatives that focus on career development. This foundation would not be possible without the feedback we receive from you and other Family Members – so thank you! If you’d ever like to share more about your experiences and suggestions for improvement, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I will happily keep the conversation and feedback anonymous! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews