KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Noon Mediterranean

Is this your company?

Noon Mediterranean

Add a Review

Noon Mediterranean Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Apr 22, 2020

Found 7 of over 73 reviews

2.5
Noon Mediterranean CEO Michael Heyne (no image)
Michael Heyne
Pros
  • "To begin, I will address each of the following areas: Company environment, quality of product, compensation, and work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• "always changing work environment(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "For the truth behind Noon look up Verts Mediterranean Grill's glassdoor review(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management is unapproachable and the Area managers that were left for other opportunities(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Keep Doing What You're Doing

Jan 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food ! This is new for us (before it was half off). It's nice to get a free meal every day we work. Communication has gotten much better than it was a few years ago. We now get detailed reports frequently and always know what we excel at and what we need to improve on. Our ideas and suggestions are being heard and slowly being implemented. New menu items every couple months. You can never get tired of the food if we consistently bring in New items to try and love. Work life balance. I am scheduled Monday through Friday 10-8. This leaves nights and weekends free unless things get crazy at the restaurant. Potentially lots of room for growth with the company. I've had a good boss, an absolutely horrible boss, and an amazing boss (current). Keep hiring awesome leaders.

Cons

They moved their headquarters to NYC away from Texas. We now rarely see the owners or higher ups in our regions. Seeing other comments on being financially compensated for going above and beyond - that must only be at a corporate level as we do not see that at a restaurant level unless you count our quarterly bonus. No raises for team members unless they take a promotion (not everyone wants to be a manager at a restaurant and I understand that. It's not fair that the only way our team members can earn more money per hour is if they become an assistant manager). Sometimes corporate really drops the ball on things we need at our restaurants and they don't seem to ever take the responsibility of making the mistake. We never get extra hours for menu rollouts or Rebranding. This leads to managers working far beyond 52 hours a week fairly frequently. But if we clock in for those hours, we get docked for going over on labor (even though we are salary). Little time for managers to do administrative duties which means all of my paperwork and schedules gets done when I am home. I also seldom take breaks during my shifts (not so bad during a 10 hour shift but we used to work 13 hours with no breaks either). If I take a break, it would mean I am leaving one team member to do everything while I eat and relax and i don't feel right doing that.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Slow

Apr 22, 2020 - Assistant General Manager in Spring, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent food, and good work life balance

Cons

Extremely slow, food is average at best

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

We are one family......NOT!!

Dec 16, 2016 - Financial Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Verts for 2.5 years in their corporate office as an accountant. To begin, I will address each of the following areas: Company environment, quality of product, compensation, and work/life balance. It’s hard to assign an overall score, but I would give them 2 stars personally based on the fact that I would not consider working for them again. Company environment: 2/5. From the first day that I started, it was obvious that there would be long hours. In fact, contracts stipulated that each employee must work 50 hours a week, with a 30 minute lunch break, which came out to daily hours of 9-7. I will admit that it was difficult to finish all my work even during these long hours, and often came in on the weekend to work on month end closings because it simply was not possible to complete all my tasks. Reviews were done quarterly, and were well documented by management. The general attitude was: “If you don’t look stressed, you must not have enough on your plate.” At one point, I tracked my overtime so that I could bring it up in my next quarterly meeting. After providing a daily tracking spreadsheet I was told that it was “extremely unprofessional” by one of the owners of the company. I thought I was being pro-active by showing that our department was growing at an incredibly fast pace and we needed to hire another person, my boss told me to stop tracking my overtime immediately. I can’t speak for the other departments (facilities, marketing and administrative) but I can say for the accounting department that the workloads are brutal and under-appreciated by ownership. The company is made up of the corporate office with 20 or so employees, and the restaurant teams with about 300 employees. I worked directly with the restaurant assistant managers, managers, area managers and regional managers. I believe that their experiences were very similar to mine: average pay, very long hours, not a lot of respect from ownership, very little job growth or opportunity. My reasoning behind this is the extremely high turnover at the management level, including the highest operational level in the company which was area managers and regional managers. It is expected that staff working at $9/hour will come and go, it is not expected that management will have equally high turnover. In the final year of my employment, the following people left Verts for better opportunities: 2 Office managers, the entire marketing department, Director of HR, Regional manager (the highest operational position in the company), Facilities Assistant, Internal Financial Accountant, Director of Accounting, and Director of Training. I would be frightened if this was my company. Quality of Product: 2/5. When I first started working at Verts, the kebaps were fantastic. I ate them everyday, and even on weekends. After about a year though, something changed in the recipe and it was never the same. I would guess that the quality of the meat was downgraded, this was echoed by many managers who worked with the meat cones daily and shared their input with me. I found this very unfortunate as the kebap meat is the signature item on their menu. After two complete company rebrands, from Verts to VertsKebap, and VertsKebap to Verts Mediterranean Grill, many more items were added to the menu such as garbonzo beans, mixed grilled veggies, hummus and rice bowls. These items diversified the menu significantly. I don’t believe the “quality” of any of these particular offerings are high, the rice for example is yellow but has almost no flavor at all. Overall, I saw many people that I worked with go from “hey this is great!” to “my stomach feels pretty weird”, so I can’t highly recommend the product. Compensation: 2/5 Pay is completely average at Verts. After seeing the massive workload that I was expected to complete, I asked for a raise and was told that I “should have done a better job negotiating my salary”. Sounds pretty corporate for a startup right? My question is this: Verts is trying to put a restaurant on every corner in every city, right next to Chipotle, so their growth is massive. If the number of restaurants increases by 40% every year, and my workload increases correspondingly, why wouldn’t I ask for a raise every year? The company is literally being built brick by brick by the people in the corporate office, yet they are not highly valued by ownership. There is also no 401k, and the standard 10 days of vacation. Work/life balance: 2/5: A couple of things go into this consideration: how much work is there, how many hours do I have to complete the work, and how much time off do I get? After the first year, contracts were re-negotiated from 50 hours per week to 45 hours per week. A standard work day was 9-6. This was not due to ownership trying to be kind to it’s employees, the corporate office employees literally got together and decided that 50 hours a week was not sustainable and made it very obvious that we were all unhappy. In January of 2016, the corporate office moved from a tiny office in the Dobie Mall to a fairly large suite in the W hotel in downtown Austin. This was a MASSIVE improvement for all the corporate employees. I would personally say that this was done out of necessity, our marketing department quadrupled in size alone. The new office was pretty swanky, with a keg-erator and foosball and plenty of free snacks. Parking was also provided which was very nice. I applaud ownership’s recent changes in this regard. As already discussed, the workload was very large, and with only the standard two weeks of vacation a year you start feeling a bit squeezed. An extra week is available for sick time, although no one ever took sick time because there was…. Too much work to do! Both of the owners are German, which begs the question even more of why they don’t offer more vacation to their employees? It is widely known that more vacation leads to higher employee satisfaction, less stress, and lower turnover. Europe is notorious for offering large amount of vacation to it’s workers, I was very surprised that they aren’t continuing that philosophy in America. To sum up, I can’t currently recommend working for Verts. I believe that they are “trying” to retain top talent and foster a better working environment, but that since these initiatives are ultimately tied to cost that it is a losing game. They claim they are currently the “fastest growing fast casual” restaurant in the United States, so there isn’t a lot of time or money left over for employee growth, reduced workload, or additional pay / vacation.

Cons

Please see above for a complete description.

11 people found this review helpful

Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and perspective. We take this seriously and your comments will help us learn and grow as an organization. Thank you for your commitment and clearly hard work and contributions to VERTS!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

General Manager

Sep 27, 2014 - General Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good and healthy food. Fast growing concept, opportunity for advancement for crew members that show promise.

Cons

shifts are long,from 10am-10:30pm with no time to take breaks. 3 to 4 days a week (56 hrs). Many stores are understaffed and management works 60-70 hours with not even a thank you. Rare days off are spent sleeping and upkeep of your home. No work/life balance....just work work work. Seems upper management is to busy opening up stores rather than taking care of the ones they have.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee

Exciting and Fun Company

Dec 18, 2016 -  in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- flexibility - great food - good pay - work/ life balance is good - opportunity to express yourself as an employee and be creative in your role - always changing work environment

Cons

More hours would be good.

Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We take your comments seriously and are working with our managers on balancing staffing levels with hours people need. If you are inclined, I would like to talk with you about your experience personally. I can be reached at opendoors@eatverts.com. Thank you again for your commitment to VERTS!

6. 1.0
      Current Employee

bittersweet without the sweet

Apr 5, 2016 - General Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. My crew makes the difference. The guest are loyal. Decent christmas parties

Cons

Im not sure where to even start. This company has become a joke except I am not laughing anymore. I work so hard to follow new roll-out, mentor my team, take extremely harsh criticism from my Area manager and yet I feel defeated at the end of the day. I spend half my week working intense hours with little help and ridiculous demands. An hour to open with more things that require more then an hour. Expect to also work on your day off, were asked to work on days off and make up the hrs by leaving early on one of the days were required to work 13 plus hrs. When you're short staffed you're also required to work and own your restaurant. When do we sleep? Whenever we have time. The mission statement has become a joke and I don't believe corporate understands how upset many people working for Verts are. Recently the Director quit because there was no quality or work/life balance. Its so sad to see so many rockstar managers, crew, and office people quit. I have worked for this company for a while and what I was promised has been nothing but disappointment. We are asked to do surveys that are not anonymous like promised. I can't even talk or give recommendations because ideas are shot down. I turned down three other career paths because I believed in this company and its defeating they don't believe in me or other GMS. This company no longer makes me feel safe or like Im working towards anything. Recent area managers have applied for new positions and have been shot down, as well as GMs not even being able to further their career here. They also reply to these reviews with copy/paste responses from someone that NO other GMs have even meet!!!! What??? I think that the only good thing that has come from working here are the people I have met that I will always be here for. I have never worked for a company so heartless towards employees or GMs. I pray this company changes because Id like to work for the company I was promised when I interviewed.

4 people found this review helpful

Communications Manger

Thank you very much for posting your honest review – we appreciate it! We meticulously review each and every bit of feedback our Family Members give us, whether on Glassdoor, through our surveys, or via email. I was hired to focus on engagement, communication, and culture, and I guarantee that feedback directly impacts the programs and initiatives we are rolling out this year. In another effort to connect with everyone and learn even more about our current culture, I will be touring every restaurant to meet our awesome Family Members, share my strategy for the year, and hear even more feedback. Change doesn’t happen overnight, but we hear you, and we are making changes to enhance the VERTS experience for our Family Members. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to discuss more about your experience, of course confidentially! Best, Lianna – lianna.delpizzo@vertskebap.com

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay Away

Nov 13, 2015 - General Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seen some of the best employees come and go. Not really a pro but I got to meet some very skilled individuals.

Cons

I worked for this company for over a year. At the beginning it was a good job, the owners where seen regularly, Verts is young so things could be a little crazy some times due to lack of procedure and such but nobody ever complained because we knew who we worked for a there was a strong sense that those people genuinely cared and took stock in your efforts. Fast forwarding a bit the owners decided to hire a upper management staff which most starting companies do at some point in their growth. Almost immediately after this decision the owners all but vanished and "corporate" was born. The new upper management had only one goal, turn VertsKebap into a professional company at all cost without boundaries and so did just that, or tried. Almost every procedure or operation change was rolled out over night with no advanced warning causin management staff to scramble to implement these changes or risk being chewed out or lectured about how to do their job. In order to get this changes implented and the "right" staff they wanted, upper management saw fit to abandon all morals. Constantly lying, manipulating and even promising things that just could not happen. At the end of this lengthy restructure plan set by upper management the decision was made to abandon all changes made within that plan. That's right, literally over night the company abondon almost a years worth of change which came at massive costs in every respect. Along with this abandonment came wage reductions and layoffs across the board which was systematically where followed up by visits by upper management scolding people for bad attitudes and lose of culture. Not to mention the fact that reason such a dramatic change had to be made was due to poor decisions by that same upper management. In short if you work for VertsKebap you will be over worked, under paid and constantly asked to work well outside of your job description. There is little no chance to move up in the company as they have come accustom to redicolouse turn over rates and simply just hire externally. Your work will never be appreciated no matter how much extra you do. And it doesn't matter how long you stay with company, they will always micromanage, belittle, insult, disrespect, lie and manipulate you to their own end. Your opinion will never hold stock and any concerns or complaints you have no matter how genuine will be passed off as complaining and the assumption your not doing your job right. VertsKebap has developed a very questionable morality issue and due to that fact alone I would never recommend anyone work for this company at any level. Without going to much further, let's just say the work life balance is awful, you will work 12 or 13 hour shifts 3 or 4 times a week and days off, the few you get are filled with home upkeep, running errands or sleeping trying to recover. Staffing is horrible and any time off even if your sick is a nightmare and more time than not held against you. Beware favoritism is on the rise.

3 people found this review helpful