Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated January 14, 2018

Chicago, IL Area

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The managers definitely care about your growth as a sales Associate and love to promote from within if you are looking to grow with the company (in 207 reviews)

• They work extremely close with their customers making sure they are delivering the best customer service (in 600 reviews)

Cons
  • I often struggle to find a good work/life balance (in 365 reviews)

• Some days it was long hours on your feet, learned to wear comfy shoes (in 497 reviews)

1. "You have petty customers who aren't that intelligent and act like immature babies."

Current Employee - Remote Customer Service Representative in Chicago Heights, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, easy to change schedule, cost of living raise every March, work at home, okay discount to purchase clothes

Cons

Customers, policy constantly changing, support, technology, rating scale, temp workers and everyone breaking policy to get high customer rating no sick days poor pto

Advice to Management

Find a common ground, and work smarter not harder

2. "It all depends"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members make it a more fun work environment.

Cons

It all depends on who you is your management team, if they give you the skills and the freedom to make it seem more of a career then just a job, great. I did not have this experience, I was left with a large workload and not making a lot of money.

Advice to Management

Depends on if your managers give you the tools and freedom to do so.

"It's only a job."

Former Employee - Barista, Ebar in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Barista, Ebar in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is very decent for lower-tier employees. Decent hourly pay and regular raises per 1000 hours of work.

Cons

This is in regards to store #221.
    I was hired part time to work in the e-bar department and was expected to work more than 45+ hours a week. I never saw any benefits or potential opportunities to advanced my position within the company. No room for advancement unless you're within the store cliques. I expected the workplace to be professional not a high school reunion. Stay used to being a lower tier employee regardless of how strong of a worker you are in your department. HR was useless in my time there to attempt to advance to better positions or moving up. What horrified me the most was that they sold you on; HR was a department to help employees "better themselves". That of course was not the case, HR was only there to cover for the short comings of management of those in power.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the company's word and actually promote from within based off an employees level of skill and what they're capable of. Not their social status to you, or in the store with other employees.

"The honest truth about working for Nordstrom"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good things about this job: schedule flexibility, promoting from within, easy relocation, and a good way to network and meet new people.

Cons

Return policy ultimately robs their employees. Your hard work WILL be taken away from you as you learn that the customers at Nordstrom have started shopping there simply so they can return what they buy (returns come out of your commission). Long/odd hours, but typical retail hours. A very inconsistent job including high turnover, unprofessional management, and zero company culture. Company has sacrificed their employees for their "customer service" which ultimately has come
    Full circle and resulted in unhappy employees who give poor service.

Advice to Management

Make your employees a priority. Listen to their needs. Your employees are your glue to success. Tighten up return policy. Make work place more personable and enjoyable for your employees.

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Gained experience in retail setting

Cons

-Internship mostly consisted of working as additional sales support for the summer
    -Lack of professional development

"Not for a person with a family"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet an amalgam of different people on a day to day basis and create relationships with those who will let you. The pay is okay, but great if you are single with no kids.

Cons

The hours are terrible. You will work mostly mid shifts 11-8pm or 12-9 or 1-close. If you work open you will likely stay after (past 5 o'clock). Some customers are extremely rude and haughty (just because they shop at Nordstrom). Customers feel they are entitled to some sacred customer service where you will bow at their feet. I.e. I had one co worker who had to drive 20miles out of his way just to take a "sensor" of an article of clothing for a customer. Yes, they literally drove to their home to remove the sensor. The commission is very fickle. Days you are off you will stress about the amount of returns you get which hurts your paycheck significantly. Customers will literally shop to buy things and return it after wearing it, or to showboat to get the points and rewards, and then return it to get their money back. There are so many loopholes in Nordstroms system. Also, beware of dishonest co workers who steal your sales.

Advice to Management

Treat all co workers equally, and ditch prejudice treatments against minorities. Nevertheless, have some compunction for those that actually have a life outside of work.

7. "Nordstrom"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Fun work environment, independent work environment

Cons

Unprofessional management, unprofessional HR staff, terrible return policy

8. "Mens shoe associate"

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Commission based
    Flexible schedule
    Free to run your own personal business

Cons

Horrible management
    Returns will take a third or more of your salary
    Rude customers
    No benefits

"Be careful of management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Nice co-workers but you have to always keep your eyes open because they will try to take your sales.

Cons

Management is able to earn commission so they always take customers even when you need their help with something. They cast you aside.

Advice to Management

Help the people under you.

"Counter Manager"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to make my own schedule. I worked in a clean and nice environment.

Cons

Events with extremely high goals every month. Management was always stressing me out.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees.

Showing 36 of 9,044 reviews