Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
Cons
  • I often struggle to find a good work/life balance (in 322 reviews)

• Long hours a lot of returns customers that are very picky management is not so great not many days off especially around holidays (in 438 reviews)

1. "Nordstrom, don't miss the boat!"

Current Employee - Fashion Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Fashion Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Self expression, friendship, ability to provide top level customer service and a very bright future. Everything else will fall into place if you just work! Don't get involved in petty conversations, play hard when you can, but always remember you are running a business.

Cons

You have to punch in to work. I like to get to work early and stay late. Sometimes, I don't want to punch in, I would rather just come in, even on off days to stay in the Nordstrom conversation. To be able to do this for free sometimes, instead of punching in would be great, because I don't want to take away from my managers budget!

Advice to Management

Continue to push forward and make this a high end fashion organization

2. "Have fun and make money!"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL

Pros

Income potential exists in commission sales environment. You must be prepared to work hard, sell hard, and be aggressive to make money.

Cons

Typical retail job schedule: split days off, varied shifts open to close, very hard to plan things in your personal life.

Advice to Management

Hiring inexperienced salespersons at Nordstrom is detrimental to the department. This place isn't for newbies to the retail sales world. There are plenty of other places where one can get experience before they're ready to come to Nordstrom.

3. "very good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

they are very flexible with hours and work schedule. The pay is good especially during busy season. It is very similar to running your own small business.

Cons

I would say that some downsides is if you want to move up in the company you generally have to relocate.

Advice to Management

Management should be more proactive about helping their sales team make better use of their time. Busy work is a waste of time

5. "Great Place to work, nice people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Very well organized system
    good human resource
    nice people

Cons

when customers return merchandises, you get deducted

6. "Best non-management job I ever had."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

Great people, good communication and willing to work around personal schedule when something comes up

Cons

You have to work 1000 hours before being eligible for benefits. That's tough on a part timer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Nordstrom Rack is a great place to work with super people.

7. "A wonderful company to work for especially if your are looking for a career!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Nordstrom to being with is one of the most desirable companies to work for. They are employee oriented, fast paced, fashion forwarded and finanialy sound.

Cons

One of the disadvantages of wotking for Nordstrom is that you if you want to grow with the company you have to be Mobile and relocate to Seattle.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have for the Management is keep the sales team and managers well informed by sharing your visison but at the same time keep them away from the clutter of jargons. Simplify what you want from them and let them concentrate on selling.

8. "wonderful"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Skokie, IL

Pros

great place to work enjoyed it

Cons

not enough hours because of the economy, tried very hard to accomodate all employees but because of the economy wasn't given enough hours.

9. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Compensation is motivating

Cons

Very competitive They weed out the non-performers

10. "Best Company and Learning Experience Ever!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at Nordstrom when I was 16 as a stock girl. Although it was not the most glamourous job, I learned a lot and gained appreciation for the behind-the-scenes tasks that need to be done in order for the store to function. Then I progressed and became a Cashier in BP which is a high schooler's dream. Now, 5 years later, I am a seasonal Sales Associate in the Rail. I love the experience I have had at Nordstrom. The commission-based salary is very motivating and makes you feel accomplished when you open that pay check and know how had you worked for that money. The majority of the employees are very pleasant to work with and management, for the most part, has met my standards. Overall, GREAT company! My loyalty is always with Nordstrom

Cons

Sale set-up and inventory are a drag. Also, as an employee, the Anniversary sale feels like it's never ending, but it's a great paycheck boost and at 2PM on the first day you can finally reward yourself from all your hard work during pre-select. No cons, just bitter-sweet aspects of the job!

Advice to Management

Make sure management is qualified for the position rather than "brought-up" by someone of a higher position. Also, make sure that outstanding management is recognized and rewarded.

11. "Hard work great pay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own paycheck flexible schedules

Cons

Very stressful at time especially during sales

Advice to Management

Great Manages

Showing 312 of 7,971 reviews