Nordstrom Rack Sales Associate (Rack) Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Associate (Rack)

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • good pay good benifits good overall people (in 63 reviews)

• Great company to work for if your ambitious (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• There's also tremendous pressure to open accounts (in 20 reviews)

"Ok"

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Hours
    Fun people
    I like to think that it is a good place to go to work

Cons

Immature managers
    Stealing customers I like to think that it is a bad place to go to school with

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 20 year old department managers

"Sales associate ,m"

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Rack) in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Rack) in Glendale, CA

Pros

Flexible hours , promote within

Cons

Managers want us to do most of the work but they aren't willing to help out . Always feeling understaff. Are are given according to availability , meaning if you want more hours you have to be open availability . Which isn't fair to the ones that have been there longer .

Advice to Management

Help out your employees instead of staying in the office taking selfies and texting .

"Learing Experance"

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom Rack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome discount! a flexible dress code (you can wear jeans, leggings, or skirts to work). I honestly really liked all of my coworkers. Everyone was upbeat and willing to help you when u had a question.
    Interacting with customers one on one. and the ability to ring them up right on the floor.

Cons

no employee handbook. you are told to use your best judgment on things. or refer to the employee website. i
    so unfortunately many things like what u cant wear, u are not told about.
    loss prevention is very weird
    lots of pressure to open cards
    management basically encourages associates and other managers to throw each other under the bus
    its not how hard u work. its a popularity contest
    I worked 11 Friday and Saturdays in a row!!! no weekends off
    management got weekends off not associates

Advice to Management

not a single person I encountered at my store, or in the region was familiar with Job coaches, or reasonable accommodations. I was told that my request for accommodations was unfair to other employees that it showed favoritism.
    my job coach was also told by the store manager that she could not speak to any of my managers nor was she allowed in the store while I was working. that it was against store policy.
    I understand that my manager was new. but for people who have been with the company for 15 plus years and the store and regional hr managers to have zero training in Disabilities Sensitivity and Accommodations,
    Please train all your managers (including store managers) on proper write up procedures... how and when to do it... not once was there a witness during my 1 and only formal write up, when I was terminated, or during my "documented conversations" nor did I sign anything about these conversations.

5. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in West Covina, CA

Pros

The discounts are pretty much the only great thing about working here. Also, sometimes your coworkers become your really good friends.

Cons

Favoritism. If you're really good at kissing up then you're gonna make it. A lot of rude customers believe it or not. Shady interactions from customers. Being a sales floor associate also means you have to be a mobile cashier. You have to meet quotas every month. The best and favorited employee gets the most hours. That's all I can think of now.

Advice to Management

Not all store managers are the same. I had one really great, sweet, and hard working store manager but then had to transfer to other locations and management was awful. Condescending and not very understanding. Please be considerate of your employees.

6. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom Rack (Less than a year)

Pros

* nice working atmosphere
    * attentive management

Cons

*sometimes very late or very early hours. But this is the reality of working in retail.

"Sales associate in Austin TX"

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Austin, TX

I worked at Nordstrom Rack full-time

Pros

Good discount; work around your schedule; great deals

Cons

I've been working at a different rack before, so this one has a lack of organization and trust to management among the employees. Too much drama every day. By the end of the day, store is a Mess!!! People don't want to work and hide in break room or restroom or just chatting on the floor.

Advice to Management

Make a work place like home, than people would love to go above and beyond in their position. Be educative and listen to others needs.

"Working at the rack"

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Nordstrom Rack (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible hours, clear the rack, NPG week

Cons

Inexperienced managers, lack of direction, unrealistic sales expectations

Advice to Management

Being a great sales person doesn't make you a great manager. Take some time to develop your management skills and appreciate your employees hard work

9. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom Rack part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A really great company with SO many growth opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes there are unrealistic work expectations. Departments are often short staffed and the company's priority is customer service which is great but you have to serve the customer at the expense of your other tasks. There isn't alot of help offered to find resolutions just a very "get it done" attitude without guidance.

Advice to Management

Provide more support to staff.

"understaffed and overworked"

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Portland, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom Rack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Opportunities for advancement if you can play the game.

Cons

Staffing is horrible, hours are constantly cut back to save on labor even on busy weekends and holidays. As a result employees are overworked and forced to take on too much at once. Employees are expected to juggle multiple customers at once, keep the floor clean and filled and open accounts daily. And you WILL get yelled at by management if you don't open accounts so that makes dealing with already pissed off customers even more challenging. Rarely are people able to keep up, even the really fast ones, and as a result you get lots of people getting burned out and calling in sick. Upper management treats everyone like they are just lazy and being complainers instead of admitting the situation isn't working. And since staffing is bad and the store is messy customers are naturally impatient and upset and take it out on the employees so you get abuse from all sides. This company needs to seriously rethink the way they are staffing, find a way to budget it in, otherwise no one is going to want to work here or shop here for that matter. And they wonder why more and more people are shopping online. Customers are sick of the bad staffing and pushy companies who keep trying to force everyone to open a credit card.

Advice to Management

Staff your stores appropriately and make this a good company to work for again. Listen to your employees needs and ideas, we are the ones hurting the most and its affecting the customer.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom Rack (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Discount is always a plus.

Cons

Great benefits IF you meet your monthly hours, which is hard to do.