Nordstrom Reviews | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Reviews

Updated August 18, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice salary, good discount, promote from within (in 193 reviews)

• They teach you Nordstrom's legendary customer service (in 564 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Twice a year you get 40% off Nordstrom owned products and 30% off for a week in December. Making someone day because you helped find them the perfect outfit. Other than that there is not a Pro about working here.

Cons

The returns, gossip, unprofessional coworkers, drama, your pay, no outside life, management, etc. There is so much that happens here someone can write a book. This was the worst job of my life. The employee discount is 20% which is not a lot since a lot of their products are expensive. The turnover rate is high because of all the factors I have stated.

Advice to Management

If you see an issue fix it. Do not look away when you know there is a problem going on. Do not entertain bad behavior... shut it down. I do not understand how this company brings in so much yet allows so many thing to be swept under the rug.

2. "You are more of a door man than a loss prevention team member"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Service Ambassador in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Service Ambassador in New York, NY

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of hours (since they can afford to pay you instead of an actually loss prevention agent)
    -Mindless work (If you like that, become a doorman and get paired more)

Cons

-You will stand by a DOOR ALL DAY LONG being a door man and greeting customers
    - If you are not on the sales floor and someone shoplifts you will get blamed for it
    -The company puts you in danger as visible "security" meanwhile you have less "power" than a loss prevention agent and get paid less
    -You will call out potential shoplifters for loss prevention agents to get the case

Advice to Management

Make you agents actually work, do floor surveillance and not hang out in the office waiting for your loss prevention service ambassadors to make suspicious call outs. "Camera time" should not include your agents hanging around in the office. You put your service ambassadors to stand for hours and also expect them to do your agents work.

3. "Logistics Processor"

Former Employee - Logistics Processor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Logistics Processor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn how the retail business works.

Cons

Equipment was outdated and often interfered with the ability to fill adequately to make quotas. Manager had favoritism and did not support all employees making it difficult to move out of the department. Competitiveness created an environment where many processors did not take breaks to ensure that the would meet quotas. No upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what is happening in this department and support the employees in every way possible. This position has no potential.

4. "Beware of Kid's Wear Mgmt. and Store Mgmt."

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

New lovely store with some great team members. Located in the Domain with the Bazille and with lots of shops and eateries nearby. Employee discount on top of sale prices.

Cons

Terrible Department Managers in Kid's Wear and at the Store Director Level. Wrong people put in leadership here who do not lead with integrity or with honor. Poor hourly pay storewide esp those on commission. Not enough foot traffic in new store to generate high sales yet so pay falls to hourly which was below 9 an hour. High level demands of employees for exceptional customer service standards. Employees called Legends but treated as way less than that.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and lead well. Put people in place who lead well and who do not play favorites and who do not change the rules of the selling floor depending on who is selling and who is contesting something. Don't fire those who dare to ask for better wages and for better leadership and for better management and pretend their exit was performance related. You just fired someone like this who was loved by the sales team and by customers and who was also a top seller, that's crazy.

"Upper management out of touch with reality"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to use employee discount

Cons

Everything else. LP corporate management literally exists on another planet and/or dimension

Advice to Management

Quit

6. "Not a great place to work in Finance"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location, merchandise discount, very family oriented

Cons

1) The technology used internally is very outdated. The finance systems are old and scrappy and layer after layer of quick fixes. You end up spending more time validating that the data is correct than doing real work.

2) Benefits are nothing special and pay is way under market. They try to promote that they have great benefits, but when you look at around at any other Seattle company, you realize it is a joke.

3) There is a lack of education and experience in a lot of management. There is a need for management training and some external hiring in high leadership experiences. Nordstrom has done a big push to hire externally for SFA and FA positions to get more experience. However this doesn't matter when your managers, vps, svps have worked at Nordstrom most of their careers and aren't willing to look at things in a different way.

4) Work Life Balance all depends on what team you work on. At times it was not good and other times it was fine.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to move fast when you don't have the talent or technology to measure your results. I saw so much money wasted on new initiatives that were halfway implemented and then stopped because someone realized it wasn't a good idea. I also heard the phrase "this is how we always have done it" all the time.

"3 years later and I'm still recovering"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll learn a great deal about customer service.

Cons

I spent 4 years working for Nordstrom and finally left....on a stretcher. The hours expected of you (management) were atrocious and the ways in which you are treated are simply appalling. I was pregnant with twins while working there and was told that "we can't treat you differently just because you are pregnant" (despite a doctors note stating that I was high risk) Therefore I was expected to carry heavy items up and down stairs from stockroom. A customer complained when she saw me on my hands and knees cleaning up tissue paper/forms from the shoe department snd I was reprimanded for not telling someone else to do it (even though my manager told me to) I subsequently lost one of the babies. Often times you are expected to "manage the sales floor" meaning you cannot leave your area so if someone fails to arrive for their shift (or at all!...high turnover!) you are stuck. I had a number of UTIs while working there because I was unable to use the restroom. I think one of the worst parts of the whole experience is that I was told (verbatim) "you'll have a hard time finding employment elsewhere" and was consistently degraded to the point that I BELIEVED I could do no better. Hence, why I stayed for 4 years. Finally the stress was too great and I had a healthy scare which prompted a nearby employee to call 911 and I literally left on a stretcher. After extensive testing including an EKG, it was determined that I was having an accrue stress response. For a retail job???? Really??? It was absolutely horrific. But here's the kicker....2 other employees were hospitalized that same month for stress- related issues.

Advice to Management

Invest in compassion training.
    Don't belittle your employees.
    Employ an HR department who truly LISTENS to employee concerns.
    Have empathy.

"Do not recommend unless desperate for a job"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

- Coworkers are amazing and supportive
    - Pay was good
    - Very flexible

Cons

- Nordstrom doesn't care about its employees
    - Some customers feel entitled. Merchandise is much more important to some than it is to be respectful. (keyword: some)
    - You lose what you earn through returns
    - Despised going to work almost every day
    - Although they gave 20% in discount, this was not sufficient when items are sold at $200+ and management expects us to be presentable everyday
    - You only make money when there's holidays or sales (i.e. Christmas, Anniversary Sale, etc.) Other than that, they keep you in the stock room and bring you out when needed.

9. "Salesperson"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Irvine, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to make lots of $

Cons

Terrible management play favorites, don't respect you or your family when personal matters arise. Throw sales people under the bus in front of customers. Their HR is a complete side show they don't do anything for the employees. They let the department managers demean and belittle the sales people when they speak up about how terrible the management is. If you work in a department that has adults only they will not tolerate children in those departments take your business elsewhere immediately. Much better options for kids clothing and shoes than here way overpriced for cheap materials.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Also treat employees who have degrees like intelligent adults. Give training more adequately to your management staff without training those department managers have no idea how to run an effective business model. Listen and do not disrespect your employees the company is going extremely downhill.

10. "At Will Co."

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

No Pros. Nordstrom, Nordstomrack.com HAUTELOOK. No pros. Yes great company that only cares for self. Regardless of time spent with co. great performances don't matter. This is an at will employer so the approach to abrupt Lay you offs is real.

Cons

Worked for this co for more than 10 years. Recently laid off NRHL without severance. Only told thank you for your service and given only final pay upon abrupt layoff. Think twice before putting on your eggs in one basket with this company.

Advice to Management

Care more for one people who have put in years of work for you. No appreciate for time, talent and skill. At will employer please find ways to be more compassionate towards abrupt lay employees off in the middle of shifts. Provide adqaute time frames for individuals to rebound from such a hurtful blow. Just gave me a raise to snap my job!

Showing 529 of 8,382 reviews