Nordstrom Reviews | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Reviews

Updated January 17, 2018

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The managers definitely care about your growth as a sales Associate and love to promote from within if you are looking to grow with the company (in 205 reviews)

• They work extremely close with their customers making sure they are delivering the best customer service (in 599 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be a stepping stone to corporate position.

Cons

They pin you against your coworkers and show everyone what each other is making for that day/week/month.

2. "ACSS agent"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Monthly incentives
    training is simple
    able to dress casually

Cons

MANDATORY overtime
    QA listening to your calls

Advice to Management

work with your employees not against them

3. "You have petty customers who aren't that intelligent and act like immature babies."

Current Employee - Remote Customer Service Representative in Chicago Heights, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, easy to change schedule, cost of living raise every March, work at home, okay discount to purchase clothes

Cons

Customers, policy constantly changing, support, technology, rating scale, temp workers and everyone breaking policy to get high customer rating no sick days poor pto

Advice to Management

Find a common ground, and work smarter not harder

4. "Management Intern"

Former Intern - Management Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Management Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern

Pros

decent pay
    coworkers are usually pretty cool

Cons

you're basically a glorified salesperson
    alot of turnover
    salespeople are really competitive

5. "Decent company with the worst customer base"

Current Employee - Service Experience Specialist
    Current Employee - Service Experience Specialist

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good pay for retail
    -Quality products
    -Respectable operating hours on holidays, black Friday, etc.
    -Liberal company that is accepting of all walks of life.

Cons

-Nordstrom has the worst customer base of any retail establishment I have ever worked at. I have worked for MANY big retailers, all of them "lower class" than Nordstrom, and the customers at these establishments are better.
    -Their motto is "use your best judgement" but they don't really mean it. Management overrides you any time a customer is escalated to them. Even when you follow rules that you're told are "unbendable" for customers, they will still override you. They make you be "the bad guy", just so they can come "Save the day" and make the customer happy. It completely undermines you and makes you feel like they don't have your back.
    -Upper management frequently makes decisions and hands them down with little knowledge of implications. If you've never stepped foot into a particular store/department, how can you make rules for it?...
    -Rude senior "stylists" and sales people. A majority of my bad experiences at Nordstrom are not customers yelling at me, but senior employees in other departments who are jaded and irritable from working retail fro 40+ years.
    -Terrible employee discount. 20%?! That's gotta be an industry low, it's especially bad when the prices are so inflated at Nordstrom.
    -Changes are made to satisfy the "higher ups" even though it's inconvenient for customers and employees. They essentially make pointless roadblocks that inconvenience everyone.
    -Materialistic/snobby mentality of customers and coworkers that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Advice to Management

-Back up your employees. You tell them to "use your best judgement" but then override it.
    -Upper management needs to have less of a hand in rule making for individual stores. Leave that up to store managers of department managers.

6. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay compared to other retail jobs
    - They'll give you plenty of hours (this is a pro for some but a con too because of the sales per hour goals)

Cons

- My biggest problem with Nordstrom is that they do not protect their salespeople and support against bad management and psychotic/abusive customers. Customers have verbally attacked me multiple times and management blamed me because the customer was unhappy. Nordstrom customers expect you to worship the ground they walk on, they are very entitled and self important. If you do not meet their unrealistic standard of what "good customer service" is (most of them have never worked a retail job a day in their lives) they will slander you to your store manager and fabricate things to make you look bad and management will take their word against yours. Management and customers do not treat sales and support with any respect at all.

- Customer complained to my manager that she didn't like the way I looked, and that I didn't look like I worked at Nordstrom. My managers pulled me to the back telling me I have to change the way I do my makeup and the way I dress even though I was following the dress code. Felt very degraded. Not able to express individuality

- The location of the store will determine the quality of the management, the money you make, and the customers you bring in.

- This job is exhausting and grueling, even though the pay isn't terrible you will work a lot harder than what you are compensated for.

- you'll be disrespected day in and day out, it is very defeating/discouraging

-coworkers and managers are immature, feels like I'm in Mean Girls every day

-very very very negative atmosphere

Advice to Management

Give your loyalty to sales people not the customer. The customer is almost never right.

7. "Pay very well so you can put up with horrible management"

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Centennial, CO

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and bonus is hard to match and that is the only good thing about Nordstrom bank and credit.

Cons

One PTO day a month, no sick days, no clear handbook so company can take advantage of you, uncaring management, and extremely high turn over so a different supervisor every month.

Advice to Management

Come out with a clear and precise handbook that explains the rules and procedures of call ins, sick days, and general rules about building. Nothing like this is provided and all employees are left in the dark.

8. "More Cons than Pros..."

Former Employee - Salesperson in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom (Less than a year)

Pros

A great sense of community within the company, even top managers know your name! It can be a very rewarding job as most customers are thankful for you helping them.

Cons

Management: In my experience, most of my managers were unfair and sometimes not keen on teaching skills to the team.
    Schedule: awful hours, no work life balance at all!! This one is the biggest.
    Return policy: Nordstrom does not protect employees against returns. I could end up selling a lot for a pay period but since my returns were more than half my net sales, my pay checks were low.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible on schedules. Make sure all managers are fair with all team members.

9. "It all depends"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members make it a more fun work environment.

Cons

It all depends on who you is your management team, if they give you the skills and the freedom to make it seem more of a career then just a job, great. I did not have this experience, I was left with a large workload and not making a lot of money.

Advice to Management

Depends on if your managers give you the tools and freedom to do so.

10. "Tom Ford Sales Representative"

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Creative role with extensive training. Makeup artistry and knowledge of product is taught and luxury training sessions. This is a sales role so there is room to make a great living. It takes a while to create a book, but once you do, you can push for a positive earning.

Cons

Management is terrible! They treat their employees like caged animals. There is absolutely no level of respect or professionalism. There are no consistent hours and you are expected to work more hours and get paid less. Sales can be competitive and the overall environment is immature and toxic.

Advice to Management

Get an education- even if it simply an online course- so you know how to properly educate and train your employees. Some of the most immature people I have ever worked with.

Showing 882 of 9,032 reviews