Nordstrom Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
Cons
  • I often struggle to find a good work/life balance (in 322 reviews)

• Long hours a lot of returns customers that are very picky management is not so great not many days off especially around holidays (in 438 reviews)

1. "My overall experience at Nodstrom was bad.I was a Business Manager for a number of Cosmetics lines and got s promotion."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work there is the experience you gain in the prestige retail arena.Nordstrom is a highly reputable company. The experience I gained as a sales manager in customer service is second to none.Now I can put it on my resume and it will be known that I worked for a company that is consistently at the top of the Fortune 100 list. The customers I met and connections I made with other employees and vendors will forever remain in my network of professionals. The lessons I learned from working at Nordstrom will forever determine what I would look for in a future employer.

Cons

The pay was terrible and the way they promote their upper management teams is horrible. The cosmetics departments have a revolving door of Regional managers who are not paid well and are overworked and as a result so not care about the sales managers they are in charge of.They don't take the time to know the sales managers on their visits to the stores.They are very uninterested in developing the sales managers for promotions.When I was there,some of the regionals barely visited the stores and before you know it they were promoted or moved to another position. I ,as a sales Manager....felt neglected and was never in a position to show how great I am....and by the time my chance came..It was to a new Regional manager who was more interested in moving on up that developing me or any other Sales Manager on their region. In the end,I got tired of going above and beyond doing my job and developing my teams and being given empty promises of promotions that never came. I left the company because I was working around the clock and living pay check to paycheck...barely able to take care of my son as a single mom and barely able to pay my bills.I depleted my 401k by making hardship withdrawals to cover the gaps. And I ended up more broke and worried and miserable. The more I worked there..the more miserable I became and in the end,I was losing sight of my goals as an employee of Nordtrom. I was losing sight of the reason why I started working for Nordstrom (to become a cosmetics buyer) and just felt lost,unappreciated,overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. When I worked for the company..we had some really good employees on the team.Some of the Managers (including myself) were highly intelligent and educated people.They chose to work at Nordstrom because they love the company.Ad time went by most of them ended up leaving and going to Saks 5th Avenue ,Bloomingdales and Neiman's because those companies paid a whole lot better and nurtured and cared for their teams.The benefits package can also be improved.I was paying over $350 a month for medical insurance for myself and my son which basically only left me with barely enough money to pay my rent and the rest of my bills. Advice to management. NURTURE YOUR PEOPLE....YOUR TEAMS ARE EVERYTHING...HAPPY EMPLOYEES BECOME HIGHLY PRODUCTIVE AND STAY WITH THE COMPANY. LONG-TERM EMPLOYEES=GREAT CLIENT RETENTION AND CLIENT REFERRALS. We lost a lot of great customers because they would develop a rapport with someone and the next time they come back that person is gone and now they have to deal with a new person who barely knows their needs.

2. "Typical retail job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission, discounts, fast-paced, social, benefits

Cons

Management, customers, scheduling, mentally straining

Advice to Management

Training was rushed. Managers were mostly apathetic. Values customers over workers.

3. "too many cooks in the kitchen"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

made some great connections. good discount.

Cons

hard to get work done with meetings every 15 minutes

Advice to Management

trust your workers to do their job. stop micromanaging!

"Retail Management Intern"

Former Employee - Retail Management Intern in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Management Intern in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a cool summer job to have. I love clothes and that was super fun. You work on commission so that is good if you are good at sales.

Cons

Working on commission in a retail environment kind of sucks. I was supposed to be a management intern and I spent most of my time selling clothes like anyone else. You do have a few more perks than the regular sales people. But as far as retail management internships go, this one kind of sucked.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your interns about what they will actually be doing. My internship was not what it was described. Give the interns more responsibility.

6. "Former Technology Worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Great discount, good co-workers, convenient

Cons

Chaotic, lack of direction, too much volleying for position

7. "Working Experience"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is very competitive. They offer a great base salary (compared to other stores) plus commissions.
    Employee discount at Nordstrom stores it's also good.

Cons

Sales:
    They put so much pressure on you about numbers and sales. I've been working 6 months, applied for 4 other positions looking to grow in the company and they prefer to bring people from other stores instead of giving the opportunity to somebody that is there already and knows how to do it. You can have all the qualifications, but maybe you have to improve a little on your numbers and they won't consider you for any position.
    Hours: they promised X amount of hours and they didn't keep to their promise.
    Management:
    The company has a really good vision but it's really sad that only a few part of the managers apply everything to their jobs.

Advice to Management

Be more pro employee, treat your employees better and you are going to have better results.

8. "Cosmetic Business Manager"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with opportunity to advance really quick.

Cons

PAY & DISCOUNT is horrible!

Advice to Management

The customer is NOT always right especially when you have bogus return policy.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good commissions. Many repeat customers. High end product.

Cons

Inexperienced department managers. Burns through managers.

10. "Hard to make any real money"

Current Employee - Sales in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with! Discount on everything at Nordstrom.

Cons

Long hours. Training is short. Hard to make any really money.

"Not the job experience I was expecting"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers were great to work with and make relations with.

Cons

Management was horrible. No respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

The managers at the Nordstrom I was working at were drama driven rather than customer service driven. This isn't exactly how you reach your stores sales goals.

Showing 799 of 7,971 reviews