Nordstrom Reviews | Glassdoor

Blake W. Nordstrom
4,278 Ratings

7,750 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • I often struggle to find a good work/life balance (in 321 reviews)

• Long hours a lot of returns customers that are very picky management is not so great not many days off especially around holidays (in 437 reviews)

1. "Do you want to work for a company that values and empowers you?"

Former Employee - Sales Person in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They treat you like family even though they are a big fortune 500 company. If you ever do have issues in the company the open door to management is always there to settle any problem without fear of your trust being broken. Always every manager enpowers you to meet the needs of your costomer no matter the cost or time it takes to always make them feel valued and respected. There is also really good growth in the company so you have a great chances to move up. I loved this job, but I just moved to a city that doesn't have a Nordstrom.

Cons

The downside is this is a retail job meaning, nights, weekends, and holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great job you have always done.

"Nordstrom - The Best Option For Working in Retail"

Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA

Pros

Nordstrom is a company that feels like a family away from home. While working in the Communications department I was able to become close friends with coworkers and even my manager. Now, after not working there for over a year, I still keep in touch with them and it's not "weird". Although it was a very professional environment, I was allowed to balance personal life with the workplace - during any down time I was allowed and even encouraged to do school work since I was a student at the time. I was also able to take time off work at the drop of a hat if my personal life called for it. Of course, I was expected to return the favor if it was called for in the future (kind of a "I'll scratch your back today, you scratch mine when I need it too" mentality). I was always recognized and praised for a job well done - on a daily basis. Overall it was a wonderful place to work!

Cons

My biggest issue with Nordstrom was the fact that it's retail. With retail comes a retail schedule, so I hated having to work the evening shift (1:30-9:30PM). It was switched up for variety, but sometimes that would mean that I would work the evening shift and then have to be back the very next morning at 7:30AM for the morning shift. That could get tiring. It was also a little difficult to be relieved for regular breaks. The person working the AM shift would have to wait for the PM shift to arrive before taking a lunch break - and sometimes even a restroom break. Since the phones HAD to be manned at all times, it was difficult to find someone to watch them even long enough to run to the restroom - the phone system was much more advanced than a regular phone, so the average employee on the floor was "afraid" to take over the phones even for a short period of time. When working the PM shift, I had to take a lunch break 2 hours after arriving or else I wouldn't get one. Taking a break that early made me very tired later in the evening when I actually NEEDED a break. Since I do still stay in touch with old coworkers who are still working there, I've heard that this issue has been addressed and improved since I left.

Advice to Management

I loved working here but I would have loved the opportunity to grow more. I felt like I was never given the chance to show the extent of my abilities. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade the experiences I gained for anything.

3. "The best service you can give is to sell something."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I like the atmosphere of the work environment.

Cons

you can't hook up with the managers

Advice to Management

Nothing

5. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - 'Anonymous' in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - 'Anonymous' in Seattle, WA

Pros

Inverse Pyramid is real. Major focus on the customer. Has strong culture and values and is very considerate and deliberate about decisions impacting employees and customers.

Cons

Hard to break in to the culture. Some people very resistant to considering new ideas and change. Need a bit more awareness and focus on the outside world..especially competitors, and changes driven by technology

Advice to Management

Develop a holistic company strategy including a vision around customer experience, technology, organization, recruiting, cultural and working environment of the future. Most of strategy is currently store based and financial and doesn't address broader aspects of future business change likely to be necessary.

6. "If you're responsible and like to 'own' your work, Nordstrom is the place for you."

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The interesting work and sense of ownership.

Cons

The temptation of shopping everyday at the store.

Advice to Management

Hang in there during the recession.

7. "A solid career with a solid run company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great mentoring by management; good work/life balance; care about their employees.

Cons

Depending on the role, retail hours can get old in a hurry!

Advice to Management

Keep up the peformance feedback programs, allowing for training and development, along with goal setting - all very useful and effective.

8. "Amazing Place to work!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

Pros

Amazing clothes, great benefits, good work life balance, great pay for students who go to college. Friendly work environment!!!!! The Management is amazing, and you get paid time off accumulated to take time off whenever you please. The benefits are great too, you have Aetna medical insurance which offers such amazing coverage. Great work place for younger crowd as well!!! Awesome experience

Cons

Long holiday hours, stand up all day long which can really hurt your legs. The amount of massive returns that one sales person can get is very high. Very competitive sales environment, as well as snakey sales people so be careful.

Advice to Management

Keep up you are doing a phenomenal job!!!!!!!

9. "fun, great place"

Former Employee - Intern in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Paramus, NJ

Pros

Well, i was on the sales floor as an intern so the competition can get fierce. But the co-workers became my close friends and the amount of freedom you get is unbelievable. If you enjoy the feeling of running you r little boutique then Nordstrom is perfect. Also, you get alot more traffic then the othe high-end guys since we hit every demographic.

Cons

They strictly promote from within. so if you wanna get that store manager job, your gonna invest alot of time since you have to move through each position.

Advice to Management

Get better buyers for the Mens Dept

"Great place to launch a career in retail."

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

Cons

My biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Advice to Management

Find ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

"NORDSTROM IS THE PLACE TO BE"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

Pros

The clothing and discounts. You will become so well known with clothing and fashion it is amazing. I loved working for Nordstrom I thought it really helped me.... plus employers always love to hear about Nordstrom. Great for resumes.

Cons

Nordstrom likes to take a lot of your time. It is a little difficult to get time off and the company really expects you to be 100% into the company. However it does allow you to obtain pride in your job..

Advice to Management

Try try try to stop all the cady girl talk.

Showing 7,750 of 7,968 reviews