Nordstrom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 24, 2017
7,880 reviews

Full-time Part-time

7,880 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Nice salary, good discount, promote from within (in 190 reviews)

• Not only does it extremely value customer service but the way they treat their employees is absolutely phenomenal (in 555 reviews)

Cons
  • I often struggle to find a good work/life balance (in 325 reviews)

• Long hours very hard to get 2 days of back to back (in 448 reviews)

1. "Good company, terrible income scenario"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nordstrom has a pretty good company culture and overall attitude. For the most part the staff and management are very helpful and supportive. They do truly want you to succeed as a sales person.

Cons

It varies by location I'm sure, but it was incredibly tough to make decent money in my department. As a salon and designer shoes salesperson, it was difficult to keep your head above water. You are constantly fighting against returns. Your competition in terms of other options for places to shop was brutal. Nordstrom is surrounded by boutiques and designers, then theres Saks, Barneys, Neiman Marcus all within walking distance and our selection in comparison was terrible. Then you have all the credit card thieves running their ring constantly buying shoes and taking up all your sales time only to return them for cash the next day. Since then they have changed the policy to combat this, but for months corporate just stood by and let us facilitate credit card fraud and money laundering.

Advice to Management

You might as well get rid of the Salon Shoe department in San Francisco.

2. "Great environment to work in."

Current Employee - Logistics Processor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Processor in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I work with a great team. For the first time I look forward to going to work and really enjoy what it is I'm doing.

Cons

Every job is going to have frustrations but I would have to say that the pros are greater then the cons.

3. "Read here if you're looking to grow"

Former Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect: much greater sense of employee worth than at most retailers
    Compensation: solid base salary and uncapped earning potential, everyone is truly encouraged to own their own business
    Discount/Perks: 33% for management and Nordstrom sells everything under the sun, almost all depts offer some sort of gratis/free merch as well
    Flexibility: really tries to accommodate time off requests

Dynamic and interesting place to learn from some of the best in the retail business. It's a really multifaceted and fast paced job. I've had lots of opportunities to work directly with brands and vendors that aren't offered to low level managers at other companies. Enough good things can't be said about the Nordstrom family and the ideals the company stands for. They genuinely care about both customers and employees.

Cons

PTO opportunities aside, there is little to no work/life balance and you really have to love the work you're doing to justify it (sometimes you will, sometimes you won't).
    Employee (esp salesperson) ideas aren't as valued as they should be and the divide created between sales teams and management is weird and obvious. There are lots of unwritten rules and procedures you'll only learn from experience and these will change from store to store. Team environment is stressed amongst leadership but not enforced. "Snitching" on fellow mngrs for self-interest should never be rewarded.

Really inconsistent performance recognition and review of management at this store. Advancement is not an even playing field, plain and simple. A lot of reviews on here blame favoritism but it has more to do with varying standards. Moving up isn't impossible but much more difficult than it should be when expectations are constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Yes, the industry is rapidly changing but consistency and transparency will go a long way at this store. There are things the store does really well but encouraging a more friendly business environment (as some other stores in the region have) would really improve conditions.

4. "Elemis assistant counter manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Counter Managet in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Counter Managet in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the other cosmetic and skincare brand managers and employees ! The store managers and owners were wonderful to staff ! I felt like I was part of a great team !

Cons

Some of the younger , less experienced floor managers were abusive and clueless how to lead a team . They were more concerned with their appearances and their social lives while at work .

Advice to Management

Observe the younger management more closely .

5. "Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Department Sales Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Department Sales Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy, and good communication within company leadership. I feel like I can go to the right people and get answers.

Cons

Jobs can be large and very demanding. Retail industry can be very unpredictable and can lead to tough business times.

6. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Personal Stylist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Personal Stylist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This fast pace and customer centered environment enabled me to build my skills. I learned how to set and exceed goals, establish relationship with customers and increase competency for brands and fashion trends.

Cons

Commission based which can create competitive environment.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "I had a blast working there!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The income was great. The managers are very personable and flexible. I loved my team and the work we did.

Cons

Working on low commission. The shifts are usually quite lengthy and lots of extra work that is unpaid but required.

Advice to Management

Raise the commission!

8. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome team and people. Great location and employee discount.

Cons

Pay is low to begin with, and hard to get substantial raises. I wish I had known to negotiate for that salary, but was right out of school.

9. "Salesperson"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Portland, OR

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting ever changing place of work

Cons

Inexperienced management, clique like culture lack of good, meaningful training

Advice to Management

Find your in-house talent. Use their experience and studies to your benefit.

10. "Cosmetic Counter Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, Cool managers and very easy to go up if you do the goals. Good benefits. I really like the diverse of people and culture in the company.

Cons

As a counter manager you have to open and close once a week. You have to do numbers that they ask no matter what.

Showing 7,880 of 8,100 reviews