Norfolk Public Schools Reviews in Norfolk, VA | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Norfolk Public Schools Superintendent Samuel T. King
Samuel T. King

1. "High School Teacher- Booker T. H.S."

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Challenging work place. Lots of time off. You get some paper every month. They pay on time. We get food for free sometimes.

Cons

Sorry.. feeling a bit disgruntled at the moment. I'm sure there are those motivated individuals who can find a way to work within a school which has been failing as miserably as this one has for some time now; I'm just not one of them. Expect extreme pressure to fulfill useless tasks for management (I know this is vague and applies to half of the jobs out there) which don't at all help our students succeed.

Advice to Management

Fight the VDOE as much as possible. Their one-size-fits-all solutions for why we are failing grossly neglect what is best for our students. We need to carve our own way out of the beautiful mess that is Booker T..

2. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

holidays, full benefit package provided.

Cons

No or little resource provided to teacher while on a 4*4 busy teaching schedule. Each teacher is like a lonely island, no communication. Administrations bully and discriminate minority teachers. Students bully and discriminate minority teachers and do not care about their study. Parents bully teacher also. Administrators children could be problem students in class. Colleagues may report you behind your back, school administrators report teachers to supervisors with letter or reprimands.In some schools students have to be fed with candies everyday in order to study. They ask for pencils without return everyday and would refuse to learn your course if you do not provide free pencils. No planning time, they used it up for different tasks. It is just a horrible place to work at.

Advice to Management

stop bullying teachers and treat them with respect and be helpful instead report lies to your boss!

3. "lead teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work environment, good pay if you're licensed! Awesome benefits package, great to work with kids.

Cons

need better qualified administration. more parental involvement should be encouraged

Advice to Management

Hold parents accountable

4. "Shameful What NPS Pays Its Most Tenured Educators"

Current Contractor - Education Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Contractor - Education Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

These children are amazing to work with. If any group of children deserve the best teachers, it would be these. Sadly, teachers are not able to support their families with the salary, diminishing benefits, and workload.

Cons

23 years as an educator in this school system. Very well respected. New teacher hires make about 5 to 6 grand less than I do, with no experience, no rapport, no network, no history. Shameful.

Advice to Management

Dr. Melinda Boone ... Please, do something. I absolutely know that hoards of teachers and administrators will not be returning next year. Help to KEEP US HERE! After 23 years with the school system and am still living paycheck to paycheck caring for my two children on my own.

5. "Management Lacking and Personal Injury Risks"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Good salary; summers, holidays, weekends off

Cons

Very stressful working with special needs children, you are overworked and underpaid for what you do on a daily basis. I was injured at work and workers compensation denied everything.

Advice to Management

Need to look out for the well being of their employees

6. "Elementary Public School Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Norfolk, VA

Pros

I worked with some wonderful teachers.

Cons

Worst job I have ever had, I was so disgusted with teaching I have since changed careers. You could not pay me enough money to ever step foot in one of these schools again or work for NPS. I feel I wasted 3 years of my life trying to help a community and population that is beyond being helped. District is full of racism, disrespect, ignorance and poor quality education. I tell everyone I know if you live in Norfolk, VA private school is worth every penny and then some! I stuck it out for 3 years hoping the students, school and district would get better but it got even worse. I would recommend working for Virginia Beach or Chesapeake Public Schools or moving somewhere else. My former colleagues have all left NPS as well, it is widely known for being an awful district and I should have listened to others who warned me. They work you to the bone and get upset when your students don't perform well on state standardized tests. I was so excited to teach that I accepted the position and it was the WORST decision of my life. I should have been more patient and waited for a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

Downtown needs to clean house and hire educated people that are qualified and not just promote "friends" or people who have been with the district for years. You need to not just rely on teachers to raise the students in the community, parents need to be accountable as well.

"Hard Working Staff!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have met some of the hardest working professionals in the 11 years I have been in Norfolk . Despite given tremendous hurdles, teachers meet these challenges head on and never give up on their students.

Cons

With a failing economy, Norfolk is failing it's teachers. NPS faculty members haven't seen substantial raises or step increases for the last five years.

Advice to Management

Don't waste money evaluating our pay scale to see if it is competitive with our neighboring districts. Instead, adjust the salaries of our teachers and faculty members to the appropriate steps and stop "freezing" us in our tracks.

8. "Teacher Assit"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff support,students are the best

Cons

Not enough teachers to support with needs of education

Advice to Management

Working with special needs children is rewarding

9. "Teacher Assistant"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Teaching the children is great.

Cons

More teaching less testing would be better.

Advice to Management

non

10. "Network Engineer"

Current Employee - PC Technician in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - PC Technician in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, benefits, and community to be a part of.

Cons

Pay is decent and not too many raises. There is not much room for growth career wise. There is personal growth through classes they will provide.

Advice to Management

Management is great no advice needed.