Norfolk Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Norfolk Public Schools Superintendent Samuel T. King
Samuel T. King

1. "Lunch Monitor"

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools part-time

Pros

Excellent co-workers, and the level of education in the schools is second to none. HR is efficient and the job offers flexibility for parents.

Cons

The hours available are minimal, and for this particular position, they slice my day right in half. This position is completely standing at all times.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much advice for management. The job description an hours available to work are well laid out, so if you accept this position, you know what you are in for before you say "yes".

2. "lead teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work environment, good pay if you're licensed! Awesome benefits package, great to work with kids.

Cons

need better qualified administration. more parental involvement should be encouraged

Advice to Management

Hold parents accountable

3. "Pre-K Teacher Assistant"

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Working with the children was excellent. The teacher that I worked with was helpful, welcoming, and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Poor communication from the district and the school administration. Pay was also extremely low, considering the work and effort put in. I opted out of the health insurance, but heard a lot of complaints about that from other assistants and teachers.

Advice to Management

Communicate better. New employees need to be informed of things; an orientation might be worthwhile. I went two weeks without an ID because no one told me that I needed one. I got a lot of information through the grapevine instead of in an email from administration and that's unacceptable, no matter what your position is.

5. "Lonely Are The Brave"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with special needs youths and the small percentage of progressive teachers left who still care about the integrity of education.

Cons

All of the good, passionate teachers are leaving the system and transferring to Virginia Beach, Great Bridge and Chesapeake. Too little pay as incentive to deal with unruly adolescents whose parents may not care about the education system themselves.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your young staff for the positivity and change they can bring to the system. Hold parents accountable for lack of student involvement, revitalize community involvement, and listen.

6. "Public Schools aren't what they used to be."

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tidewater, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tidewater, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff at my school is amazing and dedicated.

Cons

Over burdened with ridiculous lesson plans, meetings and testing.

Advice to Management

Lesson plans should be better. Teacher's should be provided REAL planning time.

7. "Management Lacking and Personal Injury Risks"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Good salary; summers, holidays, weekends off

Cons

Very stressful working with special needs children, you are overworked and underpaid for what you do on a daily basis. I was injured at work and workers compensation denied everything.

Advice to Management

Need to look out for the well being of their employees

8. "Teacher"

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great learning environment for all kids

Cons

there is nothing bad that I can say

9. "Great Work Environment"

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools part-time

Pros

It is a great pleasure to work at Norfolk Christian. They truly care about their students and work hard to ensure staff is providing the best atmosphere possible.

Cons

It is difficult to work for particular supervisor that I have. He is unorganized and not flexible.

Advice to Management

I would say to keep up the good work. I also would recommend that you ask staff about their supervisors so that you can be made aware of difficulties.

10. "Student Data Specialist II"

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

The experience of working with students and parents during the enrollment or withdrawal process is rewarding because you get to meet diverse individuals. Since the Hampton Roads area is constantly receiving military students, you will never get bored.

Cons

The pay could be better since you are performing many complex tasks compared to the other school districts performing in the same capacity.

Advice to Management

Some managers feel as though micro-managing will get tasks accomplished faster, but in most cases, you will receive the opposite affect.

11. "Elementary Public School Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Norfolk, VA

Pros

I worked with some wonderful teachers.

Cons

Worst job I have ever had, I was so disgusted with teaching I have since changed careers. You could not pay me enough money to ever step foot in one of these schools again or work for NPS. I feel I wasted 3 years of my life trying to help a community and population that is beyond being helped. District is full of racism, disrespect, ignorance and poor quality education. I tell everyone I know if you live in Norfolk, VA private school is worth every penny and then some! I stuck it out for 3 years hoping the students, school and district would get better but it got even worse. I would recommend working for Virginia Beach or Chesapeake Public Schools or moving somewhere else. My former colleagues have all left NPS as well, it is widely known for being an awful district and I should have listened to others who warned me. They work you to the bone and get upset when your students don't perform well on state standardized tests. I was so excited to teach that I accepted the position and it was the WORST decision of my life. I should have been more patient and waited for a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

Downtown needs to clean house and hire educated people that are qualified and not just promote "friends" or people who have been with the district for years. You need to not just rely on teachers to raise the students in the community, parents need to be accountable as well.