Norfolk Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fair"

Former Employee - School Psychologist in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - School Psychologist in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safe working environment for staff.

Cons

Health insurance isn't beneficial for retirees. Low pay.

2. "Zero teacher support from administrators and no discipline for students"

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

The other teachers were overwhelmingly supportive of new teachers. I've never worked with a harder working or more dedicated group of people.

Cons

Administration from the Department Head on down does not support new teachers and unnecessarily gives additional challenges to brand new teachers with no classroom experience (i.e. floating, majority co-taught classes with sometimes more than 50% of students receiving services, unresponsive sped dept, little to no discipline follow through for students disrupting the learning environment). Discipline standards for students are inconsistent. Multiple referrals for students disrupting class results in a 90 minute detention for one student. Another student may move a tray to sit in the cafeteria and get three days of suspension. The administration is generally unwilling to listen to most teachers' concerns and/or address those concerns. They seem to be happy with the minimum standard that is easy, not striving for excellence from students and teachers alike. I would honestly give zero stars if possible. If you are a new teacher, explore all other options before choosing NPS. Your idealism and drive will be lost on the administration.

Advice to Management

Realize that teachers are not a dime a dozen and highly qualified and motivated teachers are even less common. The pay is not commensurate with job expectations, perhaps encourage your teachers with non monetary gestures that inspire and motivate. Remember that new teachers are dealing with a steep learning curve and don't throw them the worst job possible with no tools or support. I am confident enough to know that I am a good teacher and that my skills, drive, desire for student success beyond SOL scores, and motivation are valued at a district with better leadership. I am glad that this experience did not completely drive me away from my calling in life.

"High School Teacher- Booker T. H.S."

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Challenging work place. Lots of time off. You get some paper every month. They pay on time. We get food for free sometimes.

Cons

Sorry.. feeling a bit disgruntled at the moment. I'm sure there are those motivated individuals who can find a way to work within a school which has been failing as miserably as this one has for some time now; I'm just not one of them. Expect extreme pressure to fulfill useless tasks for management (I know this is vague and applies to half of the jobs out there) which don't at all help our students succeed.

Advice to Management

Fight the VDOE as much as possible. Their one-size-fits-all solutions for why we are failing grossly neglect what is best for our students. We need to carve our own way out of the beautiful mess that is Booker T..

4. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

holidays, full benefit package provided.

Cons

No or little resource provided to teacher while on a 4*4 busy teaching schedule. Each teacher is like a lonely island, no communication. Administrations bully and discriminate minority teachers. Students bully and discriminate minority teachers and do not care about their study. Parents bully teacher also. Administrators children could be problem students in class. Colleagues may report you behind your back, school administrators report teachers to supervisors with letter or reprimands.In some schools students have to be fed with candies everyday in order to study. They ask for pencils without return everyday and would refuse to learn your course if you do not provide free pencils. No planning time, they used it up for different tasks. It is just a horrible place to work at.

Advice to Management

stop bullying teachers and treat them with respect and be helpful instead report lies to your boss!

5. "lead teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work environment, good pay if you're licensed! Awesome benefits package, great to work with kids.

Cons

need better qualified administration. more parental involvement should be encouraged

Advice to Management

Hold parents accountable

6. "Pre-K Teacher Assistant"

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Working with the children was excellent. The teacher that I worked with was helpful, welcoming, and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Poor communication from the district and the school administration. Pay was also extremely low, considering the work and effort put in. I opted out of the health insurance, but heard a lot of complaints about that from other assistants and teachers.

Advice to Management

Communicate better. New employees need to be informed of things; an orientation might be worthwhile. I went two weeks without an ID because no one told me that I needed one. I got a lot of information through the grapevine instead of in an email from administration and that's unacceptable, no matter what your position is.

7. "Lonely Are The Brave"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with special needs youths and the small percentage of progressive teachers left who still care about the integrity of education.

Cons

All of the good, passionate teachers are leaving the system and transferring to Virginia Beach, Great Bridge and Chesapeake. Too little pay as incentive to deal with unruly adolescents whose parents may not care about the education system themselves.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your young staff for the positivity and change they can bring to the system. Hold parents accountable for lack of student involvement, revitalize community involvement, and listen.

8. "Lunch Monitor"

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools part-time

Pros

Excellent co-workers, and the level of education in the schools is second to none. HR is efficient and the job offers flexibility for parents.

Cons

The hours available are minimal, and for this particular position, they slice my day right in half. This position is completely standing at all times.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much advice for management. The job description an hours available to work are well laid out, so if you accept this position, you know what you are in for before you say "yes".

9. "Public Schools aren't what they used to be."

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tidewater, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Tidewater, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff at my school is amazing and dedicated.

Cons

Over burdened with ridiculous lesson plans, meetings and testing.

Advice to Management

Lesson plans should be better. Teacher's should be provided REAL planning time.

10. "Management Lacking and Personal Injury Risks"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Public Schools full-time

Pros

Good salary; summers, holidays, weekends off

Cons

Very stressful working with special needs children, you are overworked and underpaid for what you do on a daily basis. I was injured at work and workers compensation denied everything.

Advice to Management

Need to look out for the well being of their employees