What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Pay is good and they force you to work your off days and work over your shift." (in 308 reviews)
- "Good benefits and they take care of miltary" (in 245 reviews)
- "4. Good retirement that will follow you to another railroad if you decide to change employers" (in 80 reviews)
- "The people were great and very welcoming." (in 61 reviews)
- "great pension upon retirement" (in 36 reviews)
- "Poor management/ communication" (in 138 reviews)
- "No work life balance and always short staffed" (in 91 reviews)
- "hours are long and boring" (in 73 reviews)
- "Upper management is demeaning and obnoxious." (in 38 reviews)
- "too many managers that are not qualified to be in supervisory positions." (in 24 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Norfolk Southern and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 1,635 of over 2K reviews
Updated Sep 21, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Jul 15, 2023ExecutiveCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsAtlanta, GA
Good company. Great industry. Good people at staff level. New CEO is good guy with excellent vision. New building is amazing so great place to come in on hybrid days a couple of days a week. Lots of career opportunities to spend your career here and keep growing and learning.
Incredibly understaffed in most departments so work life balance is non-existent regardless of level. Work (emails, messages, questions) starts well before dawn, then workday, then work and emails and messages usually keep going til 9 or 10 at night. One AVP describes t as doing Shift Work but 3 shifts at the same job each day. Wasn't always this way but years ago cutting staff became the costsaving strategy so most teams now operate bare bones. Salaries low based on being in Atlanta market now instead of Norfolk. Low salary makes long hours harder to swallow. It's a great company overall and honestly if they fixed the staffing issue so people could have an actual work life balance it has the potential to be one of the best companies to work for
Norfolk Southern Reviews FAQs
Norfolk Southern has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 1,839 reviews left anonymously by employees. 36% of employees would recommend working at Norfolk Southern to a friend and 31% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.
36% of Norfolk Southern employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Norfolk Southern 1.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.3 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.