Norfolk Southern Reviews | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Chairman, President and CEO James A. Squires
James A. Squires

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "In addition the work life balance is pretty skewed even for an intern" (in 61 reviews)

• "No work-life balance, you will be on call 24/7, outdated culture" (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Midtown location in ATL is exciting but probably more for younger people coming out of college like myself. Pay and benefits are great. 401k contribution and pension.

Working in the IT dept here is great with flex start time. WFH available. There are opportunities to move around departments. Work life balance is great, no overtime or weekend craziness, unless needed but happens rarely. Newly renovated office space is nice to be in for 8 hrs everyday.

Technology is improving. Most teams are java or .net on the backend. Frontend is one of the Javascript frameworks.

I enjoy coming to work everyday and my team is super!

Cons

Not much cons. I enjoy everyday here but if I have to think of a con, here goes...
    Management is obviously old school in their ways and thinking and a little resistant to new ideas, but that's true of humans anywhere who have done the same thing for a long time.

The place is very bureaucratic with decision making and such.

Different teams have different experiences, for example, another developer from another team quit after 4 months because he couldn't stand the place and said his team members were not supportive, meanwhile my team could not have been any more suppportive, so..i guess it is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Not much complaint here but seems like the guys in the field may feel otherwise.

Norfolk Southern Response

Jan 4, 2019 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience and bringing a positive attitude to your workspace.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits and salary for providing families

Cons

alot of travel is involved in this line of work

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good money and benefits. The people that you work with are great people. The atmosphere is a good one to work in

Cons

Being gone form your family so much. Not being able to schedule anything with your family or friends. No outside life

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they are trying to give you good advice. Tell your employees when they have done a great job

4. "Great for older new devs"

Current Employee - Associate Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Retirement Environment Benefits Salary Location Advancement

Cons

Salary, Older Technology, Waterfall, Resistance to change

Advice to Management

None

5. "No way"

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Norfolk Southern (More than 5 years)

Pros

The retirement benefits are great!

Cons

Hire you to fire you!

6. "Lifestyle"

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Peru, IN
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Peru, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great Retirement, Good Benefits

Cons

long hours, uncertain schedule, adversarial management

7. "Decent money, low work load. But will make you miserable."

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Conway, PA
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Conway, PA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, fairly easy workload day to day.

Cons

Managed very poorly, never ending revolving door of clueless managers, low moral, hourly employees are treated very poorly by management, terrible schedule, seniority pays, work ethic does not, no one is motivated to do their best job. Locomotives do not get fixed correctly before management releases them back into service, no parts in stock to fix locomotives, managements hides out and sneaks around to try to find employees breaking their “ Cardinal Rules”, disciplining employees is the quick way for a manager to be promoted so that’s what they aim for.

Advice to Management

Restructure from the top down, preferably with an outside company.

Norfolk Southern Response

Jan 4, 2019 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for your years of service to NS! Our management team are obligated to ensure the rules, safety guidelines, and FRA requirements are followed.

8. "Not a great place for developers interested in working on current technologies"

Former Employee - Associate Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Midtown Location
    Holidays
    3 weeks Vacation time
    Retirement benefit

Cons

Old technologies that are no longer relevant in the market
    Below market salary for new grads

When it is time for you to change jobs you will be at a disadvantage due to the lack of experience with in demand technologies. The salary is also way below market salary

IT department's culture is incredibly boring.

9. "To sum it up (5 yr. Conductor)"

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Met some great people
    2. Outside work
    3. Pay is above average for no college education
    4. Benefits

Cons

1. Horrible work schedule for a few years (senority based) so basically you're working the worst of the worst until you get established more.
    2. Employees can be very whiney and negative which effects everyone.
    3. Management is the worst i've ever worked for. Mostly college kids who have no idea whats going on or even how to move a train, but they are quick to make assumptions and no matter what happens or how it actually happened, someone will always be to blame in their eyes. These "managers" will put a target on you if you argue a rule that they were wrong about and to extreme cases they will try to fire you (The management and way they run the company is my biggest con)
    4. Wondering where all my money has gone as i'm making almost 6 figures and it hasn't even touched my bank account. The gross to net difference is unreal is what i'm getting at.
    5. Weather... Sun and them beautiful days are great to be outside at your job. Rain, snow, cold... you will also be out there too, unless it is physically endangering you, you will be out there in it so be prepared.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's(not all because some just don't think) and take into consideration their advice instead of thinking you're superior all the time, this company would run 100x smoother if our management consisted of former ground employees(3-5 year minimum as a conductor)so they could atleast have a basic knowledge of how these things work. We know very well how to move trains because we're the ones out there everyday dealing with every situation under the sun. Stop nit picking on every little thing someone does wrong and then getting them in trouble, were not robots and to be quite honest as long as nothing is being destroyed, the job is being done correctly and efficiently and people are using their heads and being safe just stop picking on the little things. You're the reason many employees are so negative.

10. "Becoming a Better Place to Work"

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company modernizing the culture

Good pay

Good benefits

Stable industry

My team is fantastic

Cons

Disconnects between management and their employees

Stuck in the blaming (if there's a problem, first course of action is to blame and yell at somebody rather than work to fix the issue) mentality

Pay is not increasing enough to cover increases in inflation and cost of living in major cities (Atlanta, Chicago, etc)

Employees are often not recognized for their good work.

Advice to Management

For Director level and higher, please interact with your employees regularly so that when problems occur, there is an understanding of what it takes to fix it and improve in the future. When someone does good work, let them know they are valued.

Take cues from other companies regarding what benefits are most desired. Pensions are great, but as more young people enter the workforce, pensions are not the sole factor in attracting fresh college graduates. Adapt to attract young people (including salaries, benefits, and company culture)