Norfolk Southern Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • The pay and benefits were best of the best (in 42 reviews)

• Interesting work environment, good pay, good industry exposure/experience (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be very difficult, especially with a family (in 35 reviews)

• On call 24/7, at work more than home, commonly work 36 hours straight (in 27 reviews)

"It's a job with benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OK benefits and pay (but you may work really long, hard hours). Great vacation policy but no flextime, part time or telecommuting.

Cons

Company (and industry) undergoing radical cost cutting. Have a back up plan. Field operations jobs are physically demanding and not 9-5. Old-school do-as-you-are-told-and-be-grateful-you-have-a-job culture where your personal goals may not ignored and instead you will be moved to a new job or even another location without any input...and they wonder why retention is suddenly an issue? Culture change programs launched under previous CEO have been ditched sadly. New CEOs focus is "shareholder value" - I get it but that it a short-term strategy at the expense of the employees. Not family friendly. Pitiful increases.

Advice to Management

You have noticed you are losing trainees but mid-tenure have had enough and are looking. The goodwill built under Wick Moorman is gone. Morale is awful.

2. "Yardmaster"

Current Employee - Yardmaster in Bellevue, OH
    Current Employee - Yardmaster in Bellevue, OH

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, Pay, tend to have to manage your own work life schedule but it can be done as a Yardmaster

Cons

Management, none of them tend to have backbone and are told what to do from someone in Norfolk and tend not to think for themselves so the cut and slash without asking questions.

Advice to Management

Try and think for yourself once in a while and do what makes sense.

"Company is going down the tubes."

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, retirement, benefits if you are employed long enough. Vacation is decent as well if you qualify for it.

Cons

Worked for NS for 10 years. Since the new CEO has taken over this company will be bought out in a matter of time. They hire you for peak season in transportation then let you go when everything slows down. Micro management is a nice term to describe NS. Not a job for a family man/women. This company is not what it was 20 years ago. You have management that has no business managing a used car lot. Very high turnover rate. If you have a decent steady income job don't leave it to work here.

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of excess management instead of manpower. You layoff but expect employees to make up for the loss. But don't allow your employees to mark off due to fatigue. Wake up where is the safety you preached about? Jim Squires is a joke.

5. "Conductor"

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Croxton, NJ
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Croxton, NJ

Pros

Ok pay after you've been there for over 5 years.

Cons

The trainmasters will hide in the bushes and wait for you to make the slightest mistake so they can destroy your career.

Advice to Management

Stop with the sac teams and let people work instead of looking over their shoulders every 5 minutes.

"Ruined my familys' life."

Former Employee - Conductor in Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Conductor in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, Great co-workers, Great Retirement. Great vacation, great medical, flexible schedule after seniority kicks in.

Cons

Can't wait to fire you, they actually hide in the bushes, who does that ... not to mention the WORTHLESS UNION that was paid into for over 20 years. Lost my career, lost my life.

Advice to Management

Don't buy any mirrors, it must be very difficult to keep looking in them everyday.

7. "Sorry I accepted the offer"

Current Employee - Transportation Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Transportation Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Railroad retirement benefits are good. I wish I had more to say but that's about it. If you like living at work than I guess this job is for you.

Cons

Long hours, overnight shifts, lots of quotas you have to meet, a lot of old school terrible people, think it's ok to haze trainees. Once you get the job testing is not over. If you fail any of these tests you are fired. A serious lack of communication with this company. I would not recommend anyone to work here even if I hated them. You may be thinking if it's so bad why don't I leave. Well I am currently aggressively looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to haze trainees. Understand that work-life balance is important. One of the reasons why all the trainees quit.

"conductor"

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Elizabeth, PA
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Elizabeth, PA

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

actual work is very easy

Cons

bosses are encouraged to catch employees doing anything they could to punish employees for. its not a team atmosphere no matter how much they try to portrait it

Advice to Management

treat the employees like valuable members of the team not some subservient third rate citizen. the system of forcing conductors to take promotion to engineer isn't a promotion at all. conductors should have choice

"Nazi southern"

Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, established company, good equipment

Cons

Micromanagement, poor treatment, lack of respect, disdain for management, employees hope company fails in all endeavors, absolutely not a rewarding career, very very and I cannot stress enough very negative environment

Advice to Management

You get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar

10. "I had 4 supervisors in one year...people can't wait to leave!"

Former Employee - Revenue Accounting Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Revenue Accounting Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job experience, good pay, newly renovated office

Cons

Management style, turnover, lack of bonus, too management heavy, micromanagement

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are truly assets to the company, not just pawns. Maybe that way you could keep employees for longer than 10 months

11. "It's not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Carman in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Carman in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Pay is pretty good but there isn't any overtime. The co workers for the most part are good to work with.

Cons

So mismanaged. The supervision is horrible. Most have no business being a supervisor. They hide in the weeds and bushes and watch you work waiting for you to make a mistake. They run the place by fear and intimidation. They WILL fire you for any little thing. You have to be in the union and it's pointless.

Advice to Management

They won't listen to any.