Norfolk Southern Reviews
38% would recommend to a friend
(1652 total reviews)
47% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Pay is good but you are paid for the on call lifestyle and selling your life way for a paycheck." (in 307 reviews)
- "Good benefits and they take care of miltary" (in 247 reviews)
- "4. Good retirement that will follow you to another railroad if you decide to change employers" (in 83 reviews)
- "The people were great and very welcoming." (in 66 reviews)
- "Good salary and they give you a monthly stiffen for your housing," (in 37 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Norfolk Southern and is not affected by filters.
Found 1,652 of over 2K reviews
Updated Dec 1, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Aug 31, 2023Railroad ConductorCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsEnola, PA
Competitive pay and benefits, paid training
Unpredictable schedule, work nights weekends holidays
- 5.0Aug 30, 2023Technology EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsAtlanta, GA
There is a real sense of working being done and progress. Lost of new projects and interesting changes coming to keep improving the org. I have always had great managers and great experiences working with other teams.
The transition to remote has been harder for some teams than others. You have to life in a state where they operate even if your remote. The pace can be slow if you need other teams since there is little time backed in for new or unexpected work.1
- 5.0Aug 21, 2023Manager contract servicesCurrent Employee
Challenging projects with lots of high demand deadlines. Never lacked for work which made the day pass quickly.
Workload heavy with long hours and weekends to meet the tight deadlines
- 5.0Jul 18, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 10 years
Great company that has the best of old world traditions and a modern day innovative spirit
Extremely fast paced and demanding industry
- 5.0Jul 8, 2023Senior AnalystFormer Employee, more than 1 yearAtlanta, GA
Good benefits, pension, lots of holidays due to being in the railroad industry, great health insurance.
Nothing that I can think of.
Norfolk Southern Reviews FAQs
Norfolk Southern has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 1,865 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at Norfolk Southern to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.
38% of Norfolk Southern employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Norfolk Southern 1.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.3 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.