Found 1,650 of over 2K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Norfolk Southern
9 months ago
The fact that it took the Biden Administration as long as it did to give aid to East Palestine is truly upsetting. Maybe people don't realize how bad it is but the government failed in its response time. I hope both the federal government and the state of Ohio make an example out of Norfolk Southern. When Governor DeWine said that they should have to pay for everything, he was completely right
Got a burning question about Norfolk Southern? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Norfolk Southern employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Pay is good but you are paid for the on call lifestyle and selling your life way for a paycheck." (in 296 reviews)
- "Great benefits and includes pension plan" (in 259 reviews)
- "4. Good retirement that will follow you to another railroad if you decide to change employers" (in 82 reviews)
- "The people were great and very welcoming." (in 70 reviews)
- "the money was good and it was easy work" (in 36 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Norfolk Southern and is not affected by filters.
- 2.0Nov 15, 2023General ForemanFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsSaint Louis, MO
great health Insurance, Dental, Vision, life insurance, retirement, competitive salary
Poor work life balance toxic work culture long hours, weekend's & holidays required without compensation Career opportunities require moving poor employee training
- 3.0Oct 18, 2023Journeyman CarmanCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsDecatur, IL
Benefits and fair wages plus free pizza at times. Overtime available.
short staffed, bad day's off, bad shifts, and sometimes working with potential of a serious accident if you lose focus.
- 1.0Oct 18, 2023Railroad ConductorFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsConway, PA
Lots of travel if you like it Free hotel accommodation
Extremely poor work-life balance Poor attitude between the company and workers Poor consistency of pay
Norfolk Southern Reviews FAQs
Norfolk Southern has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 1,860 reviews left anonymously by employees. 37% of employees would recommend working at Norfolk Southern to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.
37% of Norfolk Southern employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Norfolk Southern 1.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.3 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.