Norm Thompson Reviews | Glassdoor

Norm Thompson Reviews

Updated Dec 21, 2016

1.9
Norm Thompson CEO Bruce Cazenave (no image)
Bruce Cazenave

"Struggling to keep up"

in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Norm Thompson for less than a year

Pros

The place was filled with talented people that are willing to go the extra mile to make a difference. Most everyone was a positive and a pleasure to work with even during rough, which I hear they are still going through.

Cons

The company has gone through some very rough times attempting to shift the business from being predominantly printed based to an eComm business without the in-house engineering capabilities and agility needed to compete in rapidly changing digital marketplace. Corporate leadership lacked any real vision and willingness to innovate and made it impossible to make any real change.

Advice to Management

Invest in engineers to build and manage your own custom ecommerce platforms. Give each brand the autonomy it needs to succeed. Allow teams to be more agile and experiment.

Norm Thompson2016-01-27

"Squashed Creative Environment,certain management allowed to be hostile,"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Norm Thompson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with very talented seasoned employees who were great mentors and very supportive through the ranks. That was in the past. The past was very open, which allowed various teams to work together. A time when, everyone was considered important and worked closely for the benefit of all.

Cons

The atmosphere is hostile to employees that have been there a while, clearly want those of a certain age and experience out. Some managers allowed to be nasty and condescending and demand expectations of people to perform what would be done by multiple staff. In addition no appreciation just inappropriate verbal behavior, not allowed to have a view.

Advice to Management

The y are not paying attention. Plenty of talent has left and many on their own due to the atmosphere this is not a town where folk just job hop, These were dedicated people. Don't care about staff

Norm Thompson2015-09-30

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Norm Thompson full-time for less than a year

Pros

very supportive and positive about new ideas. Willing to listen. Very nice campus, surrounded by trees, good benefits, very nice co-workers. Overall a very pleasant place to work. The new management team is working very hard to improve in a very tough business climate, which is typical everywhere right now. The difference is they listen and have been very responsive to suggestions. I have never had such open and... easy access to a CEO.

Cons

Cubicle is hard to adjust to, but really not a lot to criticize.

Advice to Management

Keep up the progress in letting employees know their input is welcome. Keep on doing what you are doing with the open communication and don't forget to thank your co-workers and employees.

Norm Thompson2015-09-18

"Sad State of Affairs"

I worked at Norm Thompson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Beautiful building and surroundings. Easy to park. Nice Area. Decent benefits.

Cons

The new President and senior staff are awful to work for, mean and unappreciative. Dedication and hard work are never enough. Creative approval process is a mess. Culture is in the dumpster. Evaluation process is akward and designed to keep everyone at bay with hardly ever a raise. Very sad, considering not long ago this was a great place to work, full of talented and experienced associates, dedicated to quality and... customer experience. Unfortunately, many of the experienced staff members have either been run out or quit...50+ year olds beware! The new Norm Thompson moto "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

Advice to Management

Get rid of the politician they hired for a CEO and get someone who cares about quality of goods, customers, employees and work/life balance.

Norm Thompson2015-10-15

"A sad decline"

I worked at Norm Thompson for more than 10 years

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with seasoned, long-time employees that had heart, drive and passion for the company. Real, dedicated employees in it to win it.

Cons

Senior Management that has existed for a year is the worst I've ever seen in my 10+ years at Norm Thompson. I had been through three buyouts and this by far is the worst caliber of management. The fear-based, micro-manage, lack of appreciation and respect for employees is appalling. The company used to be one of the best places to work for in the Portland area, known for it's unique merchandise, position in the... community in giving back, treated its employees with tremendous autonomy, respect and encouraged everyone's feedback. The senior management in place is on a mission to eliminate long tenured employees who have a lot of knowledge and experience of all the ups and downs this company has been through. It's very sad to know that at least a 40% turnover rate of employees who have left would still be there if it weren't for the senior management that is in place. I know myself and others used to LOVE working for Norm Thompson Outfitters and took pride in knowing they are at one of the best companies to work for in the Portland area. It's a shame how this company has been stripped of its heritage in the community by leaders who don't have the common sense to listen to its employees.

Advice to Management

Senior Management you need to be replaced in order to bring back a sense of pride and community and any chance of success at Norm Thompson Outfitters.

Norm Thompson2015-10-04

""Yes men" only, need apply"

in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Norm Thompson

Pros

Benefits were good for health. People who understood "team" and "trust" were great.

Cons

Leader is a misguided micro-manager. Upper management allowed to treat people with little to no respect. Leading by fear. Command and control atmosphere. Experienced people treated with such disrespect and disdain because they actually thought the could have a healthy debate. Change is good for companies but this change has caused a huge turnover and will take the company years to recover.

Advice to Management

Seek to understand by interviewing past employees that went through all of the buyouts and leadership changes. People that still work there are afraid to speak and will tell you what they think will keep them safe. Quickly look at the talent that has been lost over the last year. It is amazing and regrettable that this group of Senior management can treat people so poorly. The newly hired are being mentored by... this?

Norm Thompson2015-10-02

"Only for the desperate"

I have been working at Norm Thompson

Pros

easy to find a parking spot

Cons

1) Senior leadership micro-manages, every.thing. Makes bottlenecks for deadlines. 2) Very unclear path for growth, development or promotions. HR and managers are more concerned with getting people to stay at their jobs, than to care about the current work force and how they can develop and grow their position. 3) Creative work is reviewed in large groups, and critiqued as a group. 4) 40% turnover in the last 2... years, that should scare anyone. And it's not people who got fired, they choose to NOT work over working here. 5) VERY LOW MORALE IN OFFICE

Advice to Management

Almost all the management is new, which isn't a negative, the negative is they are not taking the time to get to know their employees and what they are capable of. There has been no chance of career development with all of this turnover. Management has got to understand how turnover is affecting their employees.

"Future employees beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Norm Thompson full-time

Pros

Good people, decent benefits, gym onsite, free parking

Cons

Controlled by the powers of the senior leaders, the people who work below/for them are constantly overworked. Leadership seems to be self-seeking and only cares about their inner circle. There is an unhealthy amount of distrust. Good, hardworking people are treated poorly and are stressed and unappreciated. Be prepared to come into this company and have very few opportunities to move up, if at all. There has been a... large amount of turnover in the last year - the most I've ever experienced in all my years here. People are leaving this company with no other job lined up. They would rather be out of work than continue to work here. That is a harsh realization that the senior leaders need to pay attention to.

Advice to Management

I believe there are really decent, hardworking people within this company. I believe the senior leaders want the company to do well but are not able to connect with the other members within this organization and truly understand what they are capable of. Value your employees. Without them, you are nothing.

Norm Thompson2015-09-23

"Very Poor Leadership. Worst Place I've Ever Worked."

I worked at Norm Thompson full-time

Pros

- Hard working employees - Nice Campus

Cons

Nothing has changed here. If anything, things got worse with new leadership. Leaders and managers truly do not care about employee wellbeing. It's sad to see your fellow co-workers so sad and stressed out all the time. There is no clear vision for the company, which creates a very chaotic work environment. No room for real advancement. Some lateral moves that sole purpose is to get more work out of you with no extra... pay. I am very glad to be out of here and moved on to greener pastures. My recommendation is to avoid this place if possible.

Advice to Management

Please care more about your future employees. The toxic work environment you have created recently is truly the worst I've seen in my time there. And the worst I've ever seen in my experience. You might get to where you are going, but the end should never justify the means.

Norm Thompson2015-09-22

"High turnover and low morale makes this a very difficult place to work"

I have been working at Norm Thompson

Pros

The benefits package here are fair for a large corporation. There are many friendly people. It's a nice building. Walking trail around in nature area, gym, large parking lot. There's an effort to create more fun company activities.

Cons

Unfortunately, this place has a very high turnover rate. I think this is partly what leads to a very overworked and stressed workforce. The pay is not competitive and I don't foresee being able to move up here. I don't feel like I'm heard when I bring concerns up with management. All departments are understaffed and expectations are high. There is so much micro-managing at this place. Both within your... own department and across all. Too many contrasting voices. This place suffers from top-down decision making, and inter-department communication is very poor. I don't feel like the senior leaders are very caring or compassionate people. The technical tools needed to perform at your peak are constantly unavailable. Slow internet & outdated computers provided.

Advice to Management

I think things are slowly turning around, but in the meantime this is a very difficult place to work. I really hope things do turn around sooner than later, but understand it takes time. Keep up any current efforts, but to please start to treat employees with a little more respect and decency. While I haven't been directly treated poorly, it does really upset me to see how others have been treated here.

Found 30 reviews