North American Bancard Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
North American Bancard President & CEO Marc Gardner
Marc Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual dress code and lots of food (in 9 reviews)

• Great people and management, fun place to work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has a cult-like reverence for the "Speed of Trust" values it preaches, despite not actually following many of those values as a company itself (in 8 reviews)

• Very low work life balance, there is an expectation of 24/7 work (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"From meh to yay!"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people make North American Bancard great! The diversity in talents, abilities, ethnicities, and experiences make coming to work each and every day something I look forward to. The ability to make mistakes and learn from them without negative retribution is rare in many corporations but something that North American Bancard does well. If you like working in a fast paced environment, challenging yourself, and growing by leaps and bounds then this is the place for you. If you want boring, mundane, unfulfilling work then please look elsewhere. Growth at NAB is not just business related, it is people related.

Cons

I don't know if I would use the word, con, however, I would use the word opportunity. One of the areas of opportunity is silos. The organization can improve on silo dependency to take us to the next level. Silos slow down and often times prevent open dialogue to help solve problems within the organization. Remove the silos and watch the organization grow and surpass even its own expectations.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue to listen to team members, encourage team and leadership development and focus on putting people first.

2. "Mid"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

My ambition was to apply myself

Cons

Their Ambition is over reaching

Advice to Management

Middle-ground

3. "great place to work / not so great pay"

Current Employee - Wanting to Stay But Gotta Go in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Wanting to Stay But Gotta Go in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great educational opportunity to enhance your soft skills

Cons

they don't pay very well wages will make you wanna look elsewhere

Advice to Management

no advice at this time

4. "Wrong beginning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are nice. Some of management are understanding considerate of others. As long as it makes them look good

Cons

CLICKS which i know every company has but these teams . Most that are leads and up think their mess don't smell

Advice to Management

You all really need stand in a mirror and look deep into your souls and think of what your life would be if you were to loose your jobs. Maybe you re thinks things oh this includes trainers too especially Tall wig wearing goofball . Manager return calls to your employees don't wait until you get to work and come by their desk to chat . Return calls to many out here going through things some crazy people and I want to make sure I don't have anything to worry about Day to day at work. FAKE FAKE FAKE

"A different point of view"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

Our leaders are different. I see this is a pro since it gives us balance. Our CIO is visionary and technically current and savvy. Our CFO is logical and conservative. Our COO is caring and people person. Our CEO is energetic and passionate.

Cons

Not enough tolerance and appreciation of the differences I mentioned above causes fractures to teamwork.

Advice to Management

Value each team member for the element they bring think about it like the elements for life air, water, food ... we need you all.

Aug 4, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your very insightful review. We agree that all of our executives bring diverse experience to NAB and recognize the need to continue diversity of thought in order to ensure a culture of... More

"Disconnected"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity, the company is growing fast. Good opportunities, especially in technologie areas

Cons

Bad salarie and benefits. Sr. team is separate, in their own world, disconnected from the tasks they demand.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced middle management. Be reasonable about requirements. Stop moving people's desks - give decent space to work!

7. "Sales"

I worked at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

Health insurance. A good place to learn the payments business. If you enjoy transnational sales then NAB is a good place to start. A decent entry level job.

Cons

Discombobulated. No long term career paths. Management at times treats you as if you're second class.

"Customer Care"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, Insurance benefits, 401k package

Cons

Lack of mutual respect. Leadership & management walk around like they own the place. The company definetly does not practice what they preach about their "core values" and "principles". The rules are constantly being bended.

The company will drill the notion that the Customer Care team is the most imporant part of the business because we are the face of the company since merchants deal with us on the daily basis. Yet were paid $13.00? Full time 13 dollars for the amount of work that customer care has to put in is quite unfair. Management doesn't try to listen to their employees because if they did they would understand that many of the employees are leaving because they are being underpaid for the amount of work they are doing. Other call centers start off around 15-17. If this team is as valuable of an asset to NAB then compensate your hard working employees what they deserve. Many of the other people I've talked to in this department are unhappy and feel the same way. Customer care employees drop like dead flies.

NAB will tell you there is room for a raise but they don't tell you the whole story. After asking around other employees who have been there for a while say that you give 30 cent raises that too after a year. They also try to sell you this idea that every time you become "certified" in another field you'll get a raise but the raise is only but a few cents. Its just very disappointing how much the company will hype up the future employees and then when you get there and talk to other workers the environment is nothing like you'd expect.

Rentention rate is much higher than they tell you. Don't be fooled.

Advice to Management

Your "leaders" as you like to call them should really practice what they preach. Many of the leaders take advantage that they are in a high up position than others. No one is above anyone else. There is a huge lack of mutual respect for one another.

Maybe it is time the company really ask around and see how happy your workers are. Many of them won't tell you at the risk of being fired since the company has no problem letting people go.

Pay your customer care employees what they deserve if they are so valuable to the company.

Jun 28, 2017 – Vice-President, Customer Care

Thank you for sharing your experiences in Customer Care. By now you are aware of the compensation changes that were recently announced that changed our base wage, added in a stepped wage increase... More

"What a sad ending"

Former Employee - Technical Support
    Former Employee - Technical Support

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Dress code
    401 k
    Volunteer days

Cons

Holy moly. This place is just full of deception.
    I was lied to from day 1 until day end. They will lie about career paths, opportunity for advancement. You get hired for one position and surprise day 1 you are actually in another. No room to renegotiate pay of course.

Lied to about bonuses. Promises made for their replacement that was never met.

They say they'll make exceptions for people, but instead make empty promises.

They do not value or compensate you fairly for hard work. They say you are the heart of the business when even your facilities aren't cared for so there are enough working microwaves or clean restrooms.
    It's all a show. It's all fake.

Advice to Management

You are so short sighted. Instead of trying to see the world in only back and white, imagine the world of color that exits in your employees. Design new roles and positions, make this a place people want to be instead of want to run from.

Jun 30, 2017 – Vice-President, Customer Care

Thank you for taking a moment and sharing your thoughts on your experiences in Customer Care. As it appears, you are no longer with us, which means you have not heard that we announced significant... More

"All talk No walk in IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Team Members (individually)
    -Ping Pong
    -Good Technology available
    -Occasional Free food

Cons

-CEO is a micromanager
    -NEW CIO makes lots of promises but they are all lies
    -No room for growth
    -High level leadership only interested in money not people

Advice to Management

You guys have a great model that is a money maker, but you you have to understand that the people that work there are the reason and the driving force behind it. You preach the speed of trust but unfortunately it is all empty. There is no transparency. Focus on the people and with your process you can really boost morale and make employees happy while still making money hand over fist.