North American Bancard Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
North American Bancard President & CEO Marc Gardner
Marc Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual dress code and lots of food (in 9 reviews)

• There are some really great people that have helped this company reach success (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Company has a cult-like reverence for the "Speed of Trust" values it preaches, despite not actually following many of those values as a company itself (in 8 reviews)

• Communication can be a little lacking between departments and upper management but it is something I see they are working on (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to make a Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel like the success of the company is understated and there is still more to come. I really enjoy the people here and the building is breath-taking. There are still opportunities to make a difference here and I always enjoy working for a Founder lead company. I believe that we will win and look forward to contributing to it.

Cons

Like any company communication is always the thing that seems easiest but is the toughest to execute effectively. We work on it and I am confident we will improve.

Advice to Management

Work/Life balance is something that is growing in importance to people. Having days off, whether it is more recognized holidays, flex schedules, work from home or richer PTO policies are great ways to demonstrate you care about your team by giving time back to your staff to spend time away, re-energize & re-focus.

Apr 5, 2018 – North American Bancard

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights and experiences to-date at NAB! We appreciate your enthusiasm and confidence about the future of the company.

Our leaders recognize the... More

2. "Lead Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Network Engineer in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Feel like home! pretty easy going management and friendly team environment.

Cons

Honestly I haven't find anything concerning or questionable situation so far!

Advice to Management

I think they already know well, what they're doing as being top management so they don't need my advise(s) at this point.

Apr 10, 2018 – Senior Vice President of Information Systems

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that you are feeling "at home" at NAB already! We make it a priority to treat each other with respect and want everyone to feel like they are part of a... More

3. "Customer service Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, Team Effort, Great Benifit Package, Place too Grow

Cons

Some of the systems were very slow to either load or navigate while a customer/Merchant was on the line with a customer care rep.

Advice to Management

Do let good Teams or workers go without explanation.
    Continue to Manage Great Workers.

4. "Lots to Offer"

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities and benefits. Absolutely wonderful co-workers. Easily saw myself working here until either I retired or moved away, however this is not the case.

Very glad, though, to have had the chance to learn and work in the payments industry by starting here.

Cons

Management was shifted around a lot, especially last year, which made employees uneasy and less confident in themselves and their work.

Was trained quite well for my entry level position, but did not experience the same when progressing to higher levels of the company.

Advice to Management

Your employees just want to know that leadership has their back and is truly prioritizing transparency and communicating effectively with them.

Value those that show innovation, drive and promise. Don't let them slip away.

5. "Processing at its finest"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , great co-workers, Fast paced environment, Caring Company .

Cons

Insurance is very expensive. I like my Job.

"So sad to see"

Current Employee - Leader in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Leader in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of hard working people that have given their all and want to continue to do so. The building is beautifully decorated with artwork giving it a contemporary feel.

Cons

Zero integrity and honesty at the top. Even the emails they send are full of lies. Change in leadership in Operations has created division and fear. The word empathy is no longer in the vocabulary. They have forgotten that the most important attribute in a Manager is the ability to lead/be a leader.

Advice to Management

This used to be a company about people and no longer is. When is it going to be said that the acquisitions were all bad choices? Instead, the blame is put on the people that work hard for them. Instead of firing/laying off people monthly why won’t they try the approach of being honest and we all work together? I am so hurt by the direction that NAB is going in. I loved this place more than any job I had ever had. Now it is full of hate and mistrust. So many other things they could do to bring us together but no buy in from the top to do so. This will ultimately be the demise of something that was really great. I would have gladly reduced my hours to not have people laid off but that was not even an idea that they would think to do. Now we are all just afraid and worried that each day is our last. This only creates more distrust and moves your best talent into looking for employment where “walking on eggshells” is not the vibe given. I can only pray that they read this and see this as a cry for unity and not division.

Sincerely,

“The last of the goonies” (goonies stick together)

"Good decision"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a year and a half at NAB, here is what I've learned: The executive leadership is passionate and has high expectations of their teams from senior leadership to individual contributors. The business is growing and is experiencing success on a number of fronts that were a mess when I started: technology, cultural identification, maturation of processes, and strategic organizational realignment. You can be as effective as you want to be here and there is an incredible wealth of knowledge here about the payments industry. The people are kind and genuinely care about each other. Highly motivated, skilled staff will excel here.

Cons

It is a fast-paced company that is admittedly impatient for growth and marketshare and that pace can be very intense most days. It's not for everyone here. If you're looking for an easy, casual environment, rather than a place that requires high performers to be on their game every day, this might not be the place for you. Your days are packed with relevant activity and opportunities to make a difference. Recent leadership changes do have some people concerned over their roles going forward, but if you deliver value every day and are a team player, this is a place to experience success.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging your leaders and staff for their feedback, share the strategy broadly so everyone is marching in the same direction, and let's keep this transformation going.

Apr 5, 2018 – North American Bancard

On behalf of the leadership team at NAB, we greatly appreciate the thought that went into this review! We also appreciate the acknowledgement of the strides we have been making as it relates to... More

"Worst HR and C Leadership ever......"

I worked at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

Nice cafeteria, decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership is awful. The owner is a selfish child and has no integrity. Great people leave all the time. No one seems to care.

"New Direction"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

As a long time employee its been refreshing to be a part of the new direction NAB is taking. I see many silo's breaking down opening up opportunities for better communication, collaboration and opportunities to grow.

In the last 12 months, the organization has grown, while focusing on better collaboration and communication. It feels like we are working smarter and faster.

This lead to opportunities, for myself and the team to learn and grow through a variety of experiences.
     Working with our entities in Florida, California, Denver and Phoenix and Delaware I've gained a tremendous amount of experience in a short time.

The atmosphere in Troy has changed too. The culture has significantly changed.
    It's no longer adversarial. The focus on getting things done, rather than making excuses and pointing fingers.

Cons

There are still a lot of changes, resulting in shifting priorities. I like the challenge that situation brings, but it not the right environment for everyone.

That becomes even more challenging when the teams are shorthanded.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your teams, by providing them with the tools, information, process and procedures to make good decisions.

Adopt documentation into the culture, and invest in the right kind of people to own it. A lot of the mistakes I see are preventable we take the time to document and share. Those mistakes are only preventalbe if someone takes the time to share.

"Great people (mostly), toxic company"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

The people I work with are great and the only reason I stay.

Cons

Read the other negative reviews here, the same themes you see over and over are true. This place has so much potential and a lot of talented, amazing people. Sadly, the culture is toxic and people are content to keep it that way. The "change" and "new direction" some of these other reviews discuss are only skin deep.

Advice to Management

If you really are upset by the negativity you see on review sites, actually do something to change the culture you've allowed to fester. Actions speak louder than words.