North American Bancard Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
North American Bancard President & CEO Marc Gardner
Marc Gardner

Pros
Cons
  • Corporate pushes off speed of trust on everyone only to practice the exact opposite of all the values from the exercise (in 6 reviews)

• Communication can be a little lacking between departments and upper management but it is something I see they are working on (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get what you give"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

North American is not unlike other MSP companies - the more you are willing to put in, the more you'll get out of it. Compensation is on par for the industry, the work environment is top notch, and there is a commitment to improving the customer experience. It is an environment where if you have a positive attitude, do your job, and keep an entrepreneurial mind-set - you will excel, and be both finanicial rewarded and offered growth opportunity. It is not a place for slackers or someone who feels entitled to 35 hour work weeks and unlimited time off - but then no company in the Merchant Service Processing space is. Troy is a suburb of Detroit - an area that desperately needs good paying jobs and technological opportunities - NAB provides both.

Cons

NAB has 13 companies under it's umbrella - sometimes the communication between those groups is lacking and not everyone is aware of the capabilities that each division has or can provide.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on improving top-down communication, and seeking more mechanisms for bottom-up communication.

North American Bancard Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your very insightful review. Your advice related to improving communication from the top-down is something that we are continuing to work on while conveying that communication is a ... More

2. "Customer Care"

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time

Pros

Excellent people and outstanding opportunities

Cons

Work load can get unbalanced a majority of the time

Advice to Management

You are on the right track; keep it up!

North American Bancard Response

Feb 14, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Care

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on the exciting changes we are making in Customer Care at NAB. We realize that sometimes workload can appear unbalanced. The good news - we’ve ... More

3. "Great department (getting worse) - bad company"

Former Employee - Underwriting in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Underwriting in Troy, MI

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code.
    Occasional department lunches.
    Great 401k.
    The department I was in had a mostly great culture and, until my last few months, had virtually no micromanagement. The pace was usually relaxed, and the people in the department were all friendly. The department head also tried to be involved with everyone in order to make communication easier and more transparent.

Cons

Company wildly underpays operations employees (risk, compliance, and underwriting) for the work being done by industry standard.
    Company offers mediocre to bad benefits (aside from the 401k)
    Company has a cult-like reverence for the "Speed of Trust" values it preaches, despite not actually following many of those values as a company itself. It's just irritating, meaningless, feel-good Kool-Aid for the employees to choke down.
    Company offered virtually no raises for anyone in the department in the two years I was there beyond a paltry 1-3% increase based on a problematic merit system.
    Company moved at a snail's pace for internal shifts in finances and job requisitions.
    Department head was often too busy to actually hear a lot of feedback about the department. (I love her, but she needs an assistant to help keep things in order)
    New manager hired in in the months prior to my departure had several micro-managerial policies he tried to implement, and most policies he tried to implement were poorly thought-out and led to more problems than they were designed to solve.

Overall: company did not appreciate the talents of its workers enough to recommend anyone work there on a long-term basis. Promotions were sparse to non-existent. All three managers in my department were let go during the two years I was there.

Advice to Management

To immediate management: your workers have good ideas. Make use of them and consult them often about the potential problems with new policy ideas. Allow them to fill out anonymous surveys if you have to in order to elicit feedback. If you enact policy that people don't like, you'll continue scaring away good talent.

To upper management in the company/the CEO: The bottom line CANNOT be your sole focus. These are human beings working for you; the CEO, already a billionaire, needs to let some of that money flow down to the people who have made him absurdly rich (and not just the sales team). Pay your employees at least the median wage for their positions. They do good work and their wages stagnate at an already below-average level without any indication that they'll go up.

"Investing in a priceless commodity, YOU!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

The environment is quit impressive to see first hand. There is a focus on employee interactions and comforts that you wouldn't typically find in a work place. For example: There are ping pong tables in the break rooms. When I first interviewed and had a walk through, I remember thinking that it was crazy to do such a thing. Now that I work here, I realize that NAB has found great ways to keep their employees active and dedicated. The average full-time employee spends more time at the office than they do at home. I commend NAB for realizing this and working to place employee happiness closer to the top of the list. And no, I don't play ping pong and it's definitely not all play and no work. But, it is great to see a company investing in the moral of it's employees. The company also invests in the continued learning and development of it's employees by providing various Lunch and Learns held right on the premises. There are no fees, just come in, learn, and grow in knowledge and experience.

Cons

Growing pains are evident, however, upper managements recent town hall meetings have proven that NAB is a team that is ready and willing to adapt to make this the company of choice for the best and brightest talent out there.

6. "First Time Reviewer - Chooses to State the Positive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first time posting a review as I felt obligated to share the good things that I'm seeing at North American Bancard; Making statements that put all managers and colleagues in the same negative bucket is not fair, nor is it true! I am fortunate to work with a great group and can see the hard work and dedication that our leaders are putting into turning things around. What about taking accountability for what you can do to make this a great place to work and not spreading gossip or speaking out of turn by misrepresenting those that are good leaders who truly want all of us to be successful. I personally had to put in the work and prove my value, not wait for it to come to me. Too often it's only the frustrated that find time to post on these sites. Those that chose not to have the conversations with their leaders to share their challenges and work through them together before giving up. Let's hear from the rest of us!

Cons

I'm hopefully stating this in a more respectful and realistic way than the other reviewers: Leaders are getting burned out quickly due to the unrealistic expectations put on them as a result of poor planning and lack of support and collaboration. There is some finger pointing instead of supporting each other and working through issues. Leaders need to be more aware that they are setting the example.

Advice to Management

Leadership Development; Creation of a clear Mission and Vision; Business Planning to avoid the reactionary environment. I'm already seeing some steps being taken in these areas. Keep up the good work.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

Casual Dress. Occasional drawings for Tvs/Game Systems which seems to have died down lately. Company does allow for personal development, however, it typically leaves you underpaid for the positions you're performing.

Cons

Grossly underpaid in many positions. Speed of trust is preached and never followed through with within the company. Talks of wage increase to come up to par with industry standards were dangled in front of employees for 2 years, and no substantial pay increases were rewarded. Employees are forced to take on additional responsibilities with no form of compensation, or training for said responsibilities. The teams are required to work off hours at seconds notice, with absolutely no transparency from the leadership. The company has a very poor work/life balance, and employees are often frustrated from being mistreated and spoken to as children by much of the leadership of the company. Much of what is heard around the building is talk of people's mistrust, and job searching.

Advice to Management

Engage with employees. Learn the value of your subordinates rather than basing performance on assumptions. Practice what you preach in regards to "Speed of Trust", start with respect.

8. "Worst Nightmare"

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gaudy environment, nonsense can be amusing at times

Cons

Just way too many to mention

Advice to Management

grow up

"Looking for a dead end job? You found your place"

I worked at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comaradie in that everyone joins together to commiserate in the very poor work environment that management has fostered.

Cons

So many. To name a few: management that shifts the blame to protect themselves, poor hiring decisions- often times the most qualified candidate is not hired because they are able to find someone who will accept a lower wage, deception in the HR department- a lot gets said but very little gets done.

Advice to Management

Knock it down and start fresh. Both the employees and the customers appear to be extremely dissatisfied with NAB

"HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Troy, MI

I have been working at North American Bancard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a tremendous amount of energy around continuous improvement in terms of organizational effectiveness, culture and the employee value proposition, and the company has made great strides in the 18 months since I joined. From the top down, positive change is evident everywhere, and we're really reinventing North American Bancard.

Cons

As with any large organization, change takes time, and employees are sometimes quick to focus on the negative rather than seek to understand how they can positively impact change. However, our focus on trust in the workplace is a solid, proven framework for helping to bring about that change. If you don't embrace change or deep commitment to organizational success, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay visible and accessible to your teams; continue to communicate often and transparently; continue to support team members in reaching their goals.

"Bad company"

Pros

Nothing good about this fake company. All that money the company makes its coldd in the work place. No advancement to move up unless they like you

Cons

The managers are fake the only way you can move on in the company is by kissing butt.The current manager doesn't even know anything about the job she came from Comcast in retention. They smile in your face and talk behind your back.

Advice to Management

Shut the company down