North American Bancard Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2021

3.4
North American Bancard President & CEO     Marc Gardner
Marc Gardner
Pros
  • "It's a great opportunity to work with great people(in 13 reviews)

• "Very fast paced work environment(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper Management is sneaky and cut throat they careless about the employees(in 14 reviews)

• "Speed of trust is preached and never followed through with within the company(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

I trust these leaders...

Feb 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Our C Suite has really upped their game with more communication, openly focusing on people and working hard to make it a culture that values what each individual brings to the table. I know anyone can call any leader at NAB and they will gladly give them their time. We are driving innovation and more and more teams are collaborating with each other. Crazy to say this but I am having fun during a pandemic!

Cons

Great technical training, need to increase the focus on leadership training and development. Would love to see more emphasis on building the strength of our leaders and newer managers...it would go a long way!

CHRO

We were really pleased to see your review and THANK YOU for giving us balanced, actionable feedback. We appreciate hearing from everyone, but when we get feedback like yours, that we can really act upon, its so much more impactful and valuable. With the stress everyone is feeling due to this pandemic, it is so cool to hear that you are having fun...that is what we want! We want our team members to work smart and have fun! We also appreciate your feedback on leadership training and we are excited to share that we are focused on two different leadership development paths for 2021 to help build the leadership and business acumen of our team members. Stay tuned...good things are happening in 2021! Thank you again for your review.

2. 5.0

Review

Mar 3, 2021 - Financial Accountant in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always doing something that is new

Cons

Can be a limited opportunity position

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to write this review and for the five star rating. We always appreciate that! We are a fast paced company at NAB so its not surprising that you find yourself always doing something new! We have three pillars that we have lived by through this pandemic and they are Collaboration, Problem Solving/Continuous Improvement and Innovation...with pillars like that something new - and better! - is always around the corner. What did surprise me was your comment that you feel like your opportunities might be limited. We have a huge growth plan (including acquisitions!) for 2021 and beyond so we have more opportunities for our team members than ever. I am wondering if you just need to speak to your leader or even someone on my team in HR to share the broader picture with you? Our doors are open and we encourage and welcome the conversation. Again, thank you for taking time to write this review - and Happy Employee Appreciation Day!

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits/ teams, leadership lacking

Apr 29, 2021 - Business Development
      Business Outlook

Pros

NAB was a great place to gain experience in the industry. They have a beautiful office and wonderful benefits

Cons

Was almost impossible to complete a deal because leadership lacked communication skills with all teams. I tried to stick around longer but as Covid hit we were unable to complete any business in my area

4. 4.0

Good growth potential

Apr 29, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tech Talents Flexible location and schedule Good compensation in Detroit

Cons

Can be bureaucratic Not innovative enough

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast Paced but supportive

Dec 28, 2020 - Training
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn something new every day. Supportive Staff. Departments working more closely together. Adapted well to Pandemic.

Cons

Things change extremely quickly here, so if that is something that you aren't prepared for or know how to handle well, it can be very difficult to thrive. Wish more departments shared out more of what they are doing - I don't think they all truly understand how when one department changes things it can have the capacity to touch many other departments as well. This is improving - but still not 100% yet.

CHRO

Happy New Year and thank you so much for this positive - but balanced - review! While we appreciate the Pros you mentioned, we were just as interested in your "Advice to Management". We realize the need to continuously improve our focus on talent at NAB. This is an important pillar to our 2021 strategy around people. The new year will also see revamped leadership support at all levels - including training to develop stronger coaching skills! A strong talent management plan will enable our 2021 business strategy through our greatest asset...our people. Thank you for taking time to write this review, we truly value your feedback.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company. Great benefits.

Mar 10, 2021 - Hospitality Associate in Lenexa, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment with great benefits

Cons

Low pay but it's set by the company that I work for

CHRO

Your review was a great start to my week, so thank you for taking time to share your feedback! We are pleased to hear that your working environment is positive and you're happy with our benefits package. We are already looking at 2022 benefits offerings and feedback like this plays into our strategy. We are also looking for ways to increase our mental health offerings which is so important for the long term care of our most important asset - our team members. I was disappointed by your statement that you believe we have lower pay. I know that in the past NAB has pushed to pay market for our positions but given COVID so much has changed. We have engaged Lockton Consulting to help us deep dive into our compensation philosophy, ranges, job descriptions, variable pay programs, etc. to ensure that we are still paying market across the U.S. as we exit COVID (hopefully!) later this year. Stay tuned, and again, thank you so much for taking time to share your thoughts.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

It was great.......

Feb 17, 2021 - Software Developer in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The engineering team is awesome. Very good people who are invested in your future. Extremely diverse engineering department.

Cons

Recent changes have all developers tracking time like customer service reps.

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us. We agree that the engineering team is awesome - we love our engineers and believe we have the best engineering talent in the industry! After reading your post I went straight to Jim Parkinson, CXO at NAB, who took your "con's" and "advice to management" to heart. To be 100% honest, Jim was very upset and felt he had let you down...as you know that is the kind of leader he is. Jim is planning an all-hands meeting to talk to the engineering team and explain this situation in more detail. I am not sure if you knew this, but Jim has over 30 years of experience as an engineer and has held multiple engineering leader roles; he has not only walked in your shoes, but he cares deeply about the engineering team. When asked why he chose to become an engineering leader he shared one simple answer, " I want to treat my fellow engineers the way I wanted to be treated". As you can imagine, his intent for these changes was positive, but he is very concerned that the impact of these changes may not be positive for his engineers. As always, Jim's door is always open (as is Kirk's, David's and mine!) if you ever wish to discuss workplace issues 1:1, your opinion is valued. Again, thank you so much for your input, Jim owns this and will discuss it with the team.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Finance

Feb 2, 2021 - Finance
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible and down to earth. Room for growth and advancement.

Cons

I didnt have a con while working here.

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to write this review and we really appreciate the four star rating. I particularly appreciate the pro's you listed as we have been working very hard through out this pandemic to be flexible, build flexibility into our processes and systems and even hold flexibility conversations with our team members. I am happy you experienced flexibility at NAB, thank you for letting us know!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good for gaining experience

Jan 26, 2021 - Credit Analyst in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Rapid response to COVID crisis, nice office amenities when working on site, good and affordable benefits

Cons

lack of organizational structure, poor training model, poor work-life balance

CHRO

We appreciate the time you took to write this review. While a three-star rating is not bad, it certainly isn't where we would like to rate. Since you worked for NAB, you know that a core focus for us through out 2020 has been problem solving and innovation which leads to a culture of continuous improvement. Your feedback helps us to problem solve and continuously improve. While we take pride in our technical training and have strong results from our hands on training strategy, it obviously didn't work for you. I hope you took your concerns to your manager as we are always looking for ways to deliver better, more impactful training despite issues with remote learning brought on by COVID-19. We take your feedback to heart and will discuss additional process improvements with the credit team. Thank you again for your feedback, we wish you all the best.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Going in the right direction

Sep 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Executive leadership is holding regular meetings with department and team leaders to keep everyone informed of policy updates, company performance, COVID-response plans, and any other topics people want to ask about. Attendees are invited to ask any questions in the meeting or anonymously by submitting them beforehand. Comments are as welcome as questions and encouraged! -The COVID-19 response by the company has been fantastic. Workers have the flexibility to work at home and handle to the school-age kids challenge many of us are facing. Safety for staff has been THE top priority. -The company has invested a tremendous amount of time and money to equip staff with laptops and tools necessary to work at home. -New HR leadership is very engaged and energized to continue on the path of improving our culture and addressing diversity concerns and social justice awareness has become an important focus for us, even taking time each month to take a moment of silence to reflect on policing, responsibilities to our community, and racial continuity. -Pay and benefits continue to improve a bit each year. -The company continues to invest in technologies to improve our work capabilities, to improve our ability and capacity to process for our merchants, and also to provide better data so smarter decisions can be made about where to focus for growth. -Colleagues are very supportive of one another and really know their stuff, so take the opportunity to learn from them!

Cons

Change is inevitable and many former employees obviously struggled with that on their way out the door. This place isn't for everyone. It's very intense and you won't be babied here. If you are ambitious, motivated, and good at what you do, you'll do really well here. If you expect to have your hand held every time you encounter problems, or struggle in an environment where tough business decisions must be made to stay competitive and profitable, or cling to old ways of thinking or prior failed leadership styles because they were nice people, you'll struggle here.

CHRO

Thank you so much for this thoughtful, positive review of North American Bancard, and especially for letting us know how much you appreciate and value the effort and energy we have put around having more consistent, intentional communication with our leaders across the company. Our goal is to create clarity, build resilience, and catalyze positive change so we will continue to focus on increasing and improving our communication. We are also grateful for your advice to management. I am excited to share that based upon team member feedback like yours, we will have a renewed focus on career development and succession planning in our upcoming performance review process. As the economy turns around it will be critical for us to have “ready now” talent for key positions and projects so while we have done well in this space, we can always do better. With appreciation, Kari Lawry Chief People Operations Officer

Viewing 1 - 10 of 225 Reviews